• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon, NH: 12/20/09

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
This was a last minute call, so I was not able to respond to Puck it in the Trips & Events forum. Sorry we couldn't meet up, hope you had a good day out there.

Cannon's new management continues to deliver. The base lodge renovations are absolutely outstanding! Walking into the Notchview Lodge, I immediately noticed the lift ticket counters had been cleared away to make room for more seating including chair and a couch by the fire, nice tough. Then I noticed the repair shop got moved out and that area now has more seating. I went downstairs to where the rental shop used to be a wowsers was that a nice ticket and sales area. That room was always WAY too small for the rental stuff. I walked through their with my SO when she tried to give skiing a shot and was dumb founded at how bad that setup was for a never ever trying to get geared up.

Later in the day, I went next door and saw the new equipment shot and repair area. Makes good sense having them side by side. A lot more space in the rental shop but still not what it could have been and should be. The old bar area is now all seating for the cafe... and now for the best part. Holy crap, Cannon's new bar is freaking SWEAT!!! Lots of stools at the bar with two cut ins and a healthy tap selection with what looked like table service at a quick glance or at least the tables at settings. Awesome, I'll be staying for a beer much more often than I ever did before now that I don't need to squeeze in or not even be able to find a seat.

Oh yea, the skiing. :lol: Well, I bailed on MA due to firing up the weather reports this morning and noticing that nothing was falling outside the 495 belt which meant Wa was gonna get nothing and they would have a chance to groom the non-refilling snow before opening. Couldn't bring myself to drive 4 hours round trip for one 300' vert trail at Blue that would be tracked out after 1-2 runs. So I putzed around home watching Matt Noyes live stream and all the fun Matt and Joe were having working hard on the storm coverage. And then off to Cannon.

One of the many reasons for not having a season pass this season was to ski Cannon more. Especially on days like today. No powder, no packed powder. Just good old fashion Cannon hard pack (though way better than five years ago Cannon hard pack due to better snow making and grooming). It was very cold outside and later in the day we got some flurries. Middle Cannon skied about as good as it ever skis (which is a huge compliment). Ravine had whales so I abstained from that treatment and made my way over to Zoomer and lapped Rocket the entire team. Props to Cannon for opening Paulie's Extension on thin coverage due to incomplete snow making progress.

Rocket skied well though was skied off in many places. I mostly stuck to skier's right where a bump line was getting pounded into the snow. Some decent lines, some not so decent. I spent a lot of time outside of the bumps just trying to get my technique back. After being a powder princess for four seasons, I know my technique is hurting and I had a return to what I used to do.... just bang out runs on Zoomer and work it. One more run turned into seven more runs until I decided I was getting sloppy and "no pain no gain" was reaching its limit.

Surprised to not hear the guns blowing. Maybe they were going on the upper mountain but I did not hear them at the top of the Peabody. Decent amount of trails and terrain open considering that two weeks ago it was bare grass in most places. Good recovery for the Christmas Holiday and if the storm delivers on Weds/Thurs, they will be looking really good for the weekend.

Now where did that camera go so I can upload a few crappy pics....

Last edited:

roark

Nice... Looking forward to the first midweek powder day at Cannon this season...

deadheadskier

Staff member
Glad to see we're gonna get some reward for those extremely jacked up ticket prices. It wasn't very long ago Canon was considered a bargain.

$66 is jacked up?

Pretty fair in comparison to other areas that offer similar terrain / amenities. Twofers on Tuesday/Thursday is also a good deal.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
$66 is jacked up?
Cannon has substantially increased ticket prices (and decreased deals) over the last three to four years taking them out of the bargain category and into standard 2k vert resort fair. When I first starting skiing Cannon regularly, their ticket price was about 20% below the average resort, I would estimate. Now they are on par and no more than 10% less than all but the elite class.

Wildcat has had similar rates but at least they have the "next day" deal. But both of these mountains are really only a bargain on twofer days (or state days in the case of Cannon). Weekend/Holiday rates are no longer a bargain (whereas 5+ years ago their weekend rate was not that bad.

deadheadskier

Staff member
gotcha

Didn't realize they were that much cheaper so recently. Last year was the first time skiing there in 25ish years for me. When I lived in VT, it didn't make much sense to head over there. When I was in Portland, Cannon was well out of day trip range.

Wildcat also has stellar deals through Liftopia. $27.99 most Sundays throughout the season, though they appear to be selling out fast. Never noticed in prior years a cap on Liftopia tickets.

polski

Website
twitter.com
Cannon. Interesting. Not the call I'd expected, though given that as you note the sharp precip cutoff was farther east than projected, you really didn't have a lot of options to the south with much terrain+snow. I can vouch for the fact that there was nice champagne pow to be skied today (TR upcoming) but low-angle and not much vert - would've been hard to justify driving ~2 hrs each way.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
gotcha

Didn't realize they were that much cheaper so recently. Last year was the first time skiing there in 25ish years for me. When I lived in VT, it didn't make much sense to head over there. When I was in Portland, Cannon was well out of day trip range.

Wildcat also has stellar deals through Liftopia. $27.99 most Sundays throughout the season, though they appear to be selling out fast. Never noticed in prior years a cap on Liftopia tickets.

I was being a bit facitious and a bit pining for "old time pricing" in my original comment. I'm with you that they are now at par. Then again, the previous management was often laxidaisical when it came to keeping things competitive, but those things never really mattered to much to me. I didn't mind stumbling over a gazillion bags or having soup spilled on me when I was only paying 19 bucks. Cannon is still a great mountain, just like Mansfield and Stark are a great mountains.

I come to ski, not a heck of a lot else; I understand what they need to do, and I support them on it. I just wish resorts had two doors, a back brown-baggers door and a front door, so-to speak. I know that's not possible, I just like simple.

Yep, there still are deals to be had like Wildcat, which I participate in, but Cannon isn't on the "good deal" list the way it used to be. Being frugal with your cash sometimes means going elsewhere, or going at less than optimal times. That's an OK compromise for me. My two daughters and I could come to Cannon on a weekend and spend less than $100 on tickets for all of us for a weekend. We did that a lot, after we "graduated" from Ragged.

iSki

The whales on ravine were impressive. Lines minimal overall. Will b-back Monday morning.

speden

... and now for the best part. Holy crap, Cannon's new bar is freaking SWEAT!!!

Is this a typo or some new kind of slang? Were the girls at the bar so hot, it was making everyone sweat? Sounds pretty steamy... :beer:

deadheadskier

Staff member
The improvements to the base area is pretty incredible!

Looking forward to seeing them. Probably Superbowl Sunday again. That really was what I thought was the only glaring weakness to the mountain when I was up there making turns with you last season.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
not sure what you mean by this. No doubt Cannon is the more challenging mountain, by far. I just thought I had read your daughters were not advanced skiers.

What I meant was that it was a very good deal when you're paying for three people. I have many, many daughters ;) Three actually. The older two are quite capable of skiing most anything. The third is Five years younger, and a much more cautious and tentative skier. It was the older two who spent time with me at Cannon. The youngest, well, we're still spending most of our time on greens, after 7 years on the trails.

Puck it

Rivercoil, I think you mean Gary's not Zoomer. Zoomer has not seen any guns yet and was closed.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Rivercoil, I think you mean Gary's not Zoomer. Zoomer has not seen any guns yet and was closed.
Thanks for the correction. I meant Rocket, not Zoomer. Gary's only was half open due to the race in progress so I never bothered skiing Gary's and Zoomer is indeed still closed. Cheers!

Puck it

Thanks for the correction. I meant Rocket, not Zoomer. Gary's only was half open due to the race in progress so I never bothered skiing Gary's and Zoomer is indeed still closed. Cheers!

I meant Rocket. Brain Fart. Ravine was awesome with the whales BTW. The new snowmaking equipment is making a big difference this year. The pub is awesome. Would have liked to see the front be all glass though. The deck should be fun when it is warm.

I hope they get to the upper mountain with snowmaking soon. They were blowing in Turnpike late in the day. They should start on Zoomer and Avalanche this week.