• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Upper Mountain Snowmaking

Puck it

Any one know if there is a problem? It seems odd that Tramway is not open yet and they continue to blow the snot out of the lower mountain. The weahter has perfect for upper mountain with very little air needed. I heard what sounded like guns going up high last Sunday but no plumes of snow to be seen.

yeggous

I don't think this is unusual for them. They're probably waiting for this weekend warmup to pass before blowing up top to keep it from icing too badly. Panic next week.

Puck it

I don't think this is unusual for them. They're probably waiting for this weekend warmup to pass before blowing up top to keep it from icing too badly. Panic next week.

They have been saying for two weeks that they are moving up to the summit. As a long time Cannon skier, this is odd given the weather.

yeggous

They have been saying for two weeks that they are moving up to the summit. As a long time Cannon skier, this is odd given the weather.

You expect sympathy? Wildcat was saying they would open Upper Lynx "as early as tomorrow" in mid November, and it's still not open. Embrace the suck. Cannon has a lot more terrain than Wildcat right now.

Puck it

You expect sympathy? Wildcat was saying they would open Upper Lynx "as early as tomorrow" in mid November, and it's still not open. Embrace the suck. Cannon has a lot more terrain than Wildcat right now.

No, just trying to find if other regulars have heard any rumors.

SIKSKIER

. Cannon has a lot more terrain than Wildcat right now.
Not even close

Well according to the snow reports at both mountains,Cannon has 77 acres compared to Wildcats 108.I've definately been getting impatient with the move to the top.The opening day roll out and the first couple weeks has been good but like Puck it said,they have been talking about heading up top for a while now.I thought after seeing all the snow they had made last weekend on the front 5 plus the Sunday snowstorm that I would be skiing the top this weekend.Here's Cannons Facebook post on Dec 11:

It's a frosty morning at 4,080'. Super fun conditions and perfect snowmaking temps this week. We'll be opening more terrain off the Zoomer & Tuckerbrook chairs shortly, then snowmaking crews head to the summit!

SIKSKIER

Is there even another ski area that won't be skiing from the top this weekend?When all my Cannon ski friends saw how Cannon did and still is boasting about the 180 new snowguns,pretty much all us said sarcastically but truthfully,"ya but do they how to use them any differently or better than in the past.The answer is in.

Puck it

Is there even another ski area that won't be skiing from the top this weekend?When all my Cannon ski friends saw how Cannon did and still is boasting about the 180 new snowguns,pretty much all us said sarcastically but truthfully,"ya but do they how to use them any differently or better than in the past.The answer is in.

Or is there some broken pipe up high. I still do not get the noise of the air up high on Sunday.

yeggous

Attitash

SIKSKIER

Heres the response I got on facebook after my post with an attitude.
They posted:Miles of piles...How about those new snowmaking towers on on the Front5? Paulie's Folly has likely never seen that much snow!

I wrote:"
Ya great.How about getting to the top like you posted here on Dec 11th?

Cannon Mountain wrote: "Bill - we had to shift our plan a bit along the way - we'll be up top on Monday with plans to open the summit on the 26th, if all goes well."

Puck it

Heres the response I got on facebook after my post with an attitude.
They posted:Miles of piles...How about those new snowmaking towers on on the Front5? Paulie's Folly has likely never seen that much snow!

I wrote:"
Ya great.How about getting to the top like you posted here on Dec 11th?

Cannon Mountain wrote: "Bill - we had to shift our plan a bit along the way - we'll be up top on Monday with plans to open the summit on the 26th, if all goes well."

So I wonder what the change in plan was. Are you going to ask?

Puck it

And Sunapee will be 90% open of snowmaking terrain.

From Sunapee : By the weekend we will have close to 90% of all snowmaking terrain open. If there was ever a year to ski or ride this weekend to beat the holiday rush, this is it. Click here for the snow report.

dlague

Well Wildcat is dealing with a frozen water line for snowmaking! Probably the worst thing that could happen!

dlague

And Sunapee will be 90% open of snowmaking terrain.

From Sunapee : By the weekend we will have close to 90% of all snowmaking terrain open. If there was ever a year to ski or ride this weekend to beat the holiday rush, this is it. Click here for the snow report.

Too bad they never provide any deals so we stay away!