• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Carving Pumpkins

noski

Does anyone carve pumpkins for Halloween? Do you a have favorite technique? Pics of your masterpiece(s)?

danny p

me and my gf carve pumpkins every year. "technique" and "masterpiece" are two words I would not use in a sentence describing my carving skills. I'll post a pic if they come out decent.

Hawkshot99

I dont know if I will be makeing one this year.

But when i do, I pick a image I want to be on the pumpkin. I tame the image to the face and use a small nail to poke all of the lines into the pumpkin through the paper. Remove the paper and rub flour into the holes so they are easier to see, and I use the smallest saw i have ever seen to cut out connect-the-dots style.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
The kids carved pumpkins with their grandma this year. I may still do it with them as their early efforts are wilting already. Can't say I have any kind of technique though... I draw on the pumpkin then cut away. Hawkshot's technique sounds interesting, though. I do like the carving kits, at least for safety sake with the kids.

noski

I carved one on Saturday. I went for the gusto, picked out the darkest green pumpkin I could find and carved Barack Obama. I did the pattern/nail outline, but I sure wish I had heard about the flour, that would have saved me amputating his right eye. I will post a picture tomorrow of it lit. It is really cool. DON'T let this get political (though we managed to squeeze 9 pages out of the college kids & the vote thread!- a record!)

Hawkshot99

Hawkshot's technique sounds interesting, though. I do like the carving kits, at least for safety sake with the kids.

My mom originally bought me one of these kits long ago.
p1188533dt.jpg

Since then I have lost enough parts or broken stuff that I have built my own kit. The pumpkins I make are like the ones you see in the background.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
our family has carved a few too many fingers. we had to tone it down and converted to carving styrofoam pumpkins with plastic knives. :(

Last edited:

playoutside

I love carving pumpkins, need to get some this week. Must be done outside on a pile of newspapers. Save the seeds for roasting. Strongly recommend using power tools to help with the carving. Cordless drill really helps start the cuts. Curves are a breeze when you start with a series of small holes.

cbcbd

One year I went crazy and made these with my girlfriend then... in my Simpsons watching craze haydays...

I dont know if I will be makeing one this year.

But when i do, I pick a image I want to be on the pumpkin. I tame the image to the face and use a small nail to poke all of the lines into the pumpkin through the paper. Remove the paper and rub flour into the holes so they are easier to see, and I use the smallest saw i have ever seen to cut out connect-the-dots style.
The putting the image to the pumpkin and then using a needle or something pointy to poke out the lines was what I did for the cartoon character ones.
The bigger one with the tongue and ghost in it's mouth I just drew on it freehand with a pen since it was a pumpkin of my own design.

For all of the parts where I didn't carve-through I would cut out just the surface skin and then shave the inside of the pumpkin behind it very carefully so it would be thick enough to stay but thin enough that light would pass through. The character pumpkins were all done that way but the big pumpkin face I mixed the traditional carve-through with this technique (ie. the tongue, the ghost, flames on ears, and extra lines/gashes) to make it more interesting.

Last edited:

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Those are very cool! There's a tool we used in art class in 7th or 8th grade when we made our own stamps that would have worked well for removing the surface skin like that. I can't remember what it was called, but hmmm....

If only I had more time. There are a million things I'd love to do if only I had enough time.

Mildcat

One year I went crazy and made these with my girlfriend then... in my Simpsons watching craze haydays...

The putting the image to the pumpkin and then using a needle or something pointy to poke out the lines was what I did for the cartoon character ones.
The bigger one with the tongue and ghost in it's mouth I just drew on it freehand with a pen since it was a pumpkin of my own design.

For all of the parts where I didn't carve-through I would cut out just the surface skin and then shave the inside of the pumpkin behind it very carefully so it would be thick enough to stay but thin enough that light would pass through. The character pumpkins were all done that way but the big pumpkin face I mixed the traditional carve-through with this technique (ie. the tongue, the ghost, flames on ears, and extra lines/gashes) to make it more interesting.

Ha Ha Ha Ha, I love the blinky pumpkin. :lol:

noski

pumpkin.jpg
[/IMG]

Here is my Obama Pumpkin. You sort of have to step away from the screen, I need to try photographing again using a tripod so I don't move the camera at all.

Grassi21

pumpkin.jpg
[/IMG]

Here is my Obama Pumpkin. You sort of have to step away from the screen, I need to try photographing again using a tripod so I don't move the camera at all.

that is impressive

noski

Hey bama m'am, What do you do, project an image onto it first?

Naw- the Hawkshot method. Pin a paper pattern on and punch holes along the outlines. The hardest part is when you cut trying to remember the positive and negative spaces. I amputated most of his right eye and had to fiddle with it. I downloaded the pattern free. Google search Pumpkin Carving Political. I think I chose the one from the Associated Press site. They have lots of free patterns.

cbcbd

Nice Obama... maybe I'll do one of Palin in a bikini this year.

That's it? No one's got any more pumpkin pictures? lame