• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Chairlift incident at Crotched

skiNEwhere

Not sure what they mean by "misload". If too many people got on the chair, I would think the lifties would stop it well before it got 40 feet off the ground. Interested to see what details will emerge

Tin

Hope everyone ends up ok...This is their cam at 4:00pm, emergency services got the call at 4:05. Look at the first chair going up, something look strange?

crotched....jpg

Tin

That is what I was thinking. Saw a report that said a young girl and woman. They did not shut the mountain down following. In the comments two people claiming to be on the chair said the woman jumped down after the child.

Last edited:

millerm277

Sounds (and looks) a lot like the kid slipped, parent tried to hold them, and wound up coming down with the kid. Hope they all make a full recovery.

That'd also explain why they got to that point, as someone else said, if they failed to get on the chair in an obviously disasterous manner, the liftie would normally have stopped the lift well before that point.

dmw

I was on a lift a year or 2 ago with a kid who was small enough and sitting so far forward on the edge of the seat I thought they could slip thru and fall; could easily see it happening that way.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Snowmaking made the chairs slippery. Kid fell.

Trying not to sound like an a-hole here, but I do hope the media doesn't blow this up. I'm sure both will be fine and it's not like this is a huge deal.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I was on a lift a year or 2 ago with a kid who was small enough and sitting so far forward on the edge of the seat I thought they could slip thru and fall; could easily see it happening that way.

absolutely

I ski alone fairly frequently and ride the singles line. Over the years, I've often found myself paired up with young kids in a lesson and asked if I'm comfortable riding up with the youngsters. My greatest fear is having a kid slip out that gap between the chair and the safety bar, so I'm a bit neurotic about making sure they're seated all the way back in the chair when they ride with me.

fbrissette

absolutely

I'm a bit neurotic about making sure they're seated all the way back in the chair when they ride with me.

As a father, I don't think you're being neurotic. Young kids are simply unable to gauge risk appropriately. They need to be told again and again to sit back and that chairlift rides are not the time to be goofy.

skiNEwhere

When A-Basin installed a new HSQ 3 years ago they added a "kid-stop" on the bar that is meant to reduce the chance of a kid slipping under the bar. Might head up to the basin on friday, if so I'll snap a pic since I couldn't find one on google

thetrailboss

Staff member
That sucks. If the picture does depict what happened, that is freaky. And I saw the same thing happen at Pats Peak about 10 years ago during POP. A kid slipped off the chair as it left the terminal and began its ascent. The lifties immediately stopped thing and it was horrifying seeing the Mom clutching onto her. Bystanders and ski patrol rushed over and caught the girl...but she and Mom were terrified when she fell out and into the arms of the folks below. She was OK, but it was scary.

meff

Snowmaking made the chairs slippery. Kid fell.

Trying not to sound like an a-hole here, but I do hope the media doesn't blow this up. I'm sure both will be fine and it's not like this is a huge deal.

Considering one of them was taken by medflight to Dartmouth, this actually is kind of an a-hole statement to make and is a huge deal for the mother and daughter.