• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

    You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Change my Tahoe trip to Colorado, or hold out for snow?

Bene288

New member
Joined
Nov 25, 2011
Messages
1,026
Points
0
Location
Albany, NY
Earlier in the season I made a thread about skiing out west. We have a trip planned for Tahoe, however they are having one of the driest winters on record.

Should I bail and use my airline points to go to Denver then stay in Summit County? Or should I wait and see if Tahoe will get snow. Our trip was for the first week in Feb, right before the summit. I can change my Tahoe flight to later in Feb, but that could be a gamble the way it's going out there.

Ultimately Colorado will cost more, a lot more, than Tahoe. So is it worth going to Tahoe and spending less money and skiing conditions I can get here? Or spending significantly more money and ski better snow?
 

mriceyman

New member
Joined
Jan 4, 2012
Messages
1,344
Points
0
Location
cnj
Driest year in 100 years.. Thank god i went there last march and they still had boatloads of snow from december. Its tough to watch what they are going through but we've had much worse winters. I would bail to anywhere but tahoe this year until the pattern changes and they their 6 feet in 2 days.
 

bobbutts

New member
Joined
Mar 18, 2007
Messages
1,560
Points
0
Location
New Hampshire
FWIW next 15 days look dry on the GFS
December is often hit or miss, but I'd be getting concerned at this point in Jan.
 

Bene288

New member
Joined
Nov 25, 2011
Messages
1,026
Points
0
Location
Albany, NY
FWIW next 15 days look dry on the GFS
December is often hit or miss, but I'd be getting concerned at this point in Jan.

That's what people have been saying. I haven't flown in years so I'm not sure if I can reschedule my flight or not.
 

jaytrem

Active member
Joined
Oct 22, 2007
Messages
1,263
Points
38
I say hold out. If you're flying into Reno maybe have a backup plan to go to Mammoth (not that they're doing all that well right now).

I had a similar situation about 8 years ago or so with Oregon. A bunch of the places I was planning on hitting weren't even open when I headed out. So I rearranged some stuff. Bachelor was actually doing okay, so I stayed there for 3 days and shifted some stuff to Idaho. By the time I got back to the Mount Hood area it was dumping. Ended the trip with a couple of my best powder days ever.

So I say don't give up hope yet, but a backup plan certainly couldn't hurt. Of course this could be terrible advise, so take it for what it is. Sure hope the snow comes soon. Lack of snow can make it really tough for some of the smaller places to survive.
 

jaytrem

Active member
Joined
Oct 22, 2007
Messages
1,263
Points
38
That's what people have been saying. I haven't flown in years so I'm not sure if I can reschedule my flight or not.

What airline? A few of them have been raising the fees a lot lately. United went way up for some things. Southwest would probably be the best for rescheduling.
 

Bene288

New member
Joined
Nov 25, 2011
Messages
1,026
Points
0
Location
Albany, NY
What airline? A few of them have been raising the fees a lot lately. United went way up for some things. Southwest would probably be the best for rescheduling.

We're booked with Southwest, and unfortunately we're flying into SFO. My uncle lives in San Fran, so we are riding up to Tahoe with him.
 

jaytrem

Active member
Joined
Oct 22, 2007
Messages
1,263
Points
38
We're booked with Southwest, and unfortunately we're flying into SFO. My uncle lives in San Fran, so we are riding up to Tahoe with him.

Oh that's good about Southwest.

Another option from San Fran is Bear Valley and Dodge Ridge. Unfortunatly they're both closed due to lack of snow. Mammoth would be a haul from there.

Might be worth booking some refundable stuff (hotels/rental cars) in CO or possibly elsewhere, just in case. You're out of Boston, correct? Be sure to check out all the options out there. There are lot of great places out there that people never consider. Think maybe WA or OR for possible direct flights. You uncle might even be willing to drive up to OR. It's about 8 hours to Bachelor, but there are few smaller places along the way. Ashland/Shasta/Willamette.
 

soposkier

Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2010
Messages
451
Points
16
We're booked with Southwest, and unfortunately we're flying into SFO. My uncle lives in San Fran, so we are riding up to Tahoe with him.

You can rebook for free on Southwest, just have to pay the difference (or you get a credit if less).
 

Bene288

New member
Joined
Nov 25, 2011
Messages
1,026
Points
0
Location
Albany, NY
Oh that's good about Southwest.

Another option from San Fran is Bear Valley and Dodge Ridge. Unfortunatly they're both closed due to lack of snow. Mammoth would be a haul from there.

Might be worth booking some refundable stuff (hotels/rental cars) in CO or possibly elsewhere, just in case. You're out of Boston, correct? Be sure to check out all the options out there. There are lot of great places out there that people never consider. Think maybe WA or OR for possible direct flights. You uncle might even be willing to drive up to OR. It's about 8 hours to Bachelor, but there are few smaller places along the way. Ashland/Shasta/Willamette.

Yeah I've been checking places in CO, not quite sure what the best places are, just going on a whim. I've been checking around Breck and Copper etc. It'll be midweek skiing, so I'm not too concerned over the crowds. My uncle won't drive anywhere but Tahoe, he has a house on the lake I guess. He is what I would call "a tight wad", probably why he has a house on Tahoe!

Used to live in Boston, I'm in Albany now. Our tickets were actually out of Albany. A little more expensive than Logan, but would be easier.
 

jaytrem

Active member
Joined
Oct 22, 2007
Messages
1,263
Points
38
Yeah I've been checking places in CO, not quite sure what the best places are, just going on a whim. I've been checking around Breck and Copper etc. It'll be midweek skiing, so I'm not too concerned over the crowds. My uncle won't drive anywhere but Tahoe, he has a house on the lake I guess. He is what I would call "a tight wad", probably why he has a house on Tahoe!

Used to live in Boston, I'm in Albany now. Our tickets were actually out of Albany. A little more expensive than Logan, but would be easier.

Yeah, I guess without the free lodging and car any place else will be a lot more expensive. Tahoe is one beautiful place, nice that he has a place right on the lake. San Francisco is great too. Might not end up being a great "ski trip", but could end up just being a great vacation anyway.

Looks like the other Southwest options from Albany are....Seattle, Portland, SLC, Denver and Albuquerque.
 

LonghornSkier

Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2008
Messages
262
Points
18
Location
Manhattan
You could also fly to GEG and ski Schweitzer.. They're 100% open right now and looking at the forecast, are supposed to get a lot more snow this week.
 

snoseek

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 7, 2006
Messages
5,242
Points
48
Location
NH
Website
www.bushslastday.com
Just got off the mountain (Heavenly). The skiing is total shit right now and the forecast looks dry. Rebook because even if it starts snowing by then we need a lot of snow. 5 feet will get the low angle stuff there, 10 for the steeper stuff. I bet it starts snowing in Feb, but too little too late. Third winter of below average snow (way below). Never ever book way ahead here unless your shooting for late season corn. Fuck this place.
 

Bene288

New member
Joined
Nov 25, 2011
Messages
1,026
Points
0
Location
Albany, NY
Just got off the mountain (Heavenly). The skiing is total shit right now and the forecast looks dry. Rebook because even if it starts snowing by then we need a lot of snow. 5 feet will get the low angle stuff there, 10 for the steeper stuff. I bet it starts snowing in Feb, but too little too late. Third winter of below average snow (way below). Never ever book way ahead here unless your shooting for late season corn. Fuck this place.

So even mid Feb wouldn't be worth it?

This was supposed to be a reunion type trip, but a lot of my family has bailed. So it was just going to be the few of us. Less family, more skiing I thought.
 

snoseek

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 7, 2006
Messages
5,242
Points
48
Location
NH
Website
www.bushslastday.com
So even mid Feb wouldn't be worth it?

This was supposed to be a reunion type trip, but a lot of my family has bailed. So it was just going to be the few of us. Less family, more skiing I thought.
I imagine things will look ok by mid feb but who knows. I would wait two more weeks and follow opensnow. It does tend to come in strong when it happens but you just don't know. Last year we didn't get one flake the whole month of February as I recall, that's not typical though....Give it some time and don't stress.
 

jaytrem

Active member
Joined
Oct 22, 2007
Messages
1,263
Points
38
You could also fly to GEG and ski Schweitzer.. They're 100% open right now and looking at the forecast, are supposed to get a lot more snow this week.

That one sounds good to me. They don't list that as an option for Albany though. The stuff around Spokane might be my #1 to get back to.
 
Top