• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Children of Winter

Trekchick

I did a search on the Warren Miller Movie Children of winter but came up with nothing. If there is another thread, please feel free to move this to it.

I went to see Children of Winter last night.
It was a good night of social fun with other ski buddies, not a total waste of time.

As for the movie.......It was definitely not the best ski movie I've ever seen, but it had its moments of fun, one of my favourite parts was Wendy Fisher/Crested Butte. She is an inspiration!!!
I was pleased with the footage and tribute for Billy at the end of the movie.
The athletes are incredible, even if the movie is marginal.

The perks weren't as plentiful this year as they've been in years past, but it was still a good time with friends.
:)

Geoff

I thought "Children of Winter" was barely watchable. I basically went to it to get the Stratton lift ticket swag.

Trekchick

The athletes are incredible, even if the movie is marginal.

The perks weren't as plentiful this year as they've been in years past, but it was still a good time with friends.

I thought "Children of Winter" was barely watchable. I basically went to it to get the Stratton lift ticket swag.
I didn't think it was barely watchable, but it wasn't all that good, that's for sure.

IMO the Meathead films blow WM stuff away these days!
Just bought Wonderland, and will be happy to watch that one over a coupla time. :)
As for the perks, .........Usually free lift tix and other great stuff, but this year it was pretty sparse.

snoseek

I thought it was entertaining, better than watching 90% of what's in theatres for me at least. What I don't get is who the hell is putting these things together? The skiing is excellent, camerawork top notch-but somewhere it turns into a mediocre film. They really need to change up the formula.

snoseek

IMO the Meathead films blow WM stuff away these days!
QUOTE]

I agree and it probably has more to do with the idea of being a small group of passionate skiers who film stuff that so many more skiers can relate to. It has more soul.

frozencorn

Yeah, not great....at all, really. But so far I've skied free at Smuggs and Waterville, so once again, worth the $18 admission.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Warren Miller movies officially have Jumped the Shark now that they are giving Jason Biggs a starring roll.

deadheadskier

Staff member
It was $26 in Portland, ME. Tickets were $20, but then they nailed you with the $6 ticket handling fee :mad: :angry: :wanttokillticketbastards:

Geoff

$18.00!!!, wow, it was only 10.00 at our event.
I'll claim that as a little personal victory in my day.

The pricing depended on the SWAG. It was $9.00 at Killington with no SWAG at all. There is no way I would have spent a penny to see a Warren Miller movie without lift ticket SWAG.

It was $26 in Portland, ME. Tickets were $20, but then they nailed you with the $6 ticket handling fee :mad: :angry: :wanttokillticketbastards:

For $26 bucks the ticket should come with a happy ending..lol..I've never seen a Warren Miller film in a theater due to the price..

deadheadskier

Staff member
For $26 bucks the ticket should come with a happy ending..lol..I've never seen a Warren Miller film in a theater due to the price..

The ticket handling fee bothers me, but I really can't complain. For that $26 I've gotten to ski Waterville and Sunday River and would've gotten in Sugarloaf too had the weather cooperated. I still have the Sugarloaf voucher which is good for a 2 for 1 late season, which I may or may not use.

Trekchick

That is a good thing about these movies.
Even if the movie is marginal, the social climate with fellow skiers is tons of fun, and the bennies are usually pretty good
At the Cadillac event, they had a weekend for two at Boyne Mt, weekend for two at Schuss/Shanty Creek, 1/2 off Crystal Mountain lift tix, $9.00 lift tix for Caberfae peaks, and a bunch of hard/soft goods like hats, gloves, gear bags, etc.....
^^^^ some of these things were door prize drawings and some were just tossed into the crowd for stoke.

It was a fun night for sure.

Oh, and there was a silent auction for a trip for two to Park City, included lift tix for canyons, DV, Condo and ground transportation.

Proceeds for this event went to the Cammy Potter foundation which funds kids to go to ski/board camps.
A few years ago the proceeds funded the local ski team.
You're not paying for the movie. You're paying to support a cause, which is one of the things that WM movies have always done.

frozencorn

I also found out this year if you don't pay the ticket handling to get the ticket ahead of time, you risk not getting in, as I did in Providence. Luckily, begging still works. Next year it will be worth the $6 not to go thru that.

And yeah, $18 to ski Smuggs and Waterville, as well as using SR or the Loaf for one of those designated days ain't bad for the price.