• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

CLIF and LUNA bar recall

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
From http://www.fda.gov/oc/po/firmrecalls/clifbar01_09.html

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- BERKELEY, Calif., Jan 19, 2009 -- Clif Bar & Company today announced a voluntary recall of CLIF(R) and LUNA(R) branded bars that contain peanut butter because the products have the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella. The recalled products contain peanut butter manufactured by Peanut Corporation of America (PCA). PCA is the focus of an investigation by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) concerning a recent Salmonella outbreak thought to be caused by tainted peanut butter.

The following Clif Bar & Company products with "Best By/Sell By" dates ranging as shown below, in all sizes and packages, are included in the recall:

Clif Bar Chocolate Chip Peanut Crunch
BEST BY/SELL BY: 21JUN09 to 01OCT09, and 03NOV09 to 28NOV09

Clif Bar Crunchy Peanut Butter
BEST BY/SELL BY: 21JUN09 to 01OCT09, and 03NOV09 to 28NOV09

Clif Bar Peanut Toffee Buzz
BEST BY/SELL BY: only 13SEP09

ZBaR Peanut Butter
BEST BY/SELL BY: 07JUL09 to 05SEP09, and 12NOV09

Clif Builders Peanut Butter
BEST BY/SELL BY: 19JUL09 to 30SEP09, and 05NOV09 to 18NOV09

Luna Nutz over Chocolate
BEST BY/SELL BY: 29JUL09 to 03OCT09, 11NOV09 to 14NOV09

Luna Peanut Butter Cookie
BEST BY/SELL BY: 02OCT09 to 03OCT09, and 11NOV09 to 14NOV09

All Clif Mojo Bars
BEST BY/SELL BY: 30APR09 to 21JUN09

Glenn

My wife bought some Luna bars years ago. I tired one for the hell of it. It gave me the worse smelling gas of my life. It was rather funny though.

Jisch

I'll have to check the dates on bars we just got two days ago when I get home, but I consumed a couple of the Chocolate Chip Peanut Crunch yesterday!

John

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
The recall has been expanded. There are a LOT of different energy/snack bars on the list and other types of snacks, too. Here's the rough summary:

…confirm that the sources of the outbreak of illnesses caused by Salmonella Typhimurium are peanut butter and peanut paste produced by the Peanut Corporation of America (PCA) at its Blakely, Georgia processing plant.

Neither of these products is sold directly to consumers. However, through its investigation, FDA has determined that PCA distributed potentially contaminated product to more than 100 consignee firms, for use as an ingredient in hundreds of different products, such as cookies, crackers, cereal, candy and ice cream.

Product recalls include some pet food products that contain peanut paste that was made by PCA. While the risk of animals contracting salmonellosis is minimal, there is risk to humans from handling these products. It is important for people to wash their hands--and make sure children wash their hands--before and, especially, after feeding treats to pets.

Major national brands of jarred peanut butter found in grocery stores are not affected by the PCA recall.

There is quite a long list of products at the FDA website. Do take a look! You may be surprised at some of the items, such as brownie mixes, many brands of ice cream, cookies, crackers (all those Austin brand cracker and peanut butter snacks), even Ethnic Gourmet pad thai dinners, and Trader Joe's vegan pad thai with tofu, and spicy kung pao chicken.

drjeff

I just got the big DENIED at the register this AM when I went to buy a box of the Atkins chocolate/peanut butter bars that I have as a snack @ work :mad: Will I even think twice about the same bars that I've been eating for the last couple of weeks, nope ;)