• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Copper Mountain. Presidents Week. A Season in 4 Days

Cannonball

We took our three nephews (17, 14, & 14 years old) to Copper Mtn for their first Rocky Mountain snowboard trip ever. We rode 2/14 - 2/18. My wife and I had worked at Copper 20+ years ago and have been back a few times since. So even though the mega-resort-village was new to us the terrain wasn't and were able to move around the mountain efficiently and hit all the old stashes at the right times. Our AirB&B condo was about 30yrds from the Super Bee high speed 6-pack, so we were easily able to be in line for opening bell each day and making fresh turns 10 minutes. With only 4 days of riding available you always hope for the best and that's what we got. We were able to show the kids a microcosm of a Colorado ski season in only 4 days.....

We got in late Saturday night to reports of no recent snow but possibly a few inches on the horizon. Sunday morning we caught one of the first chairs and headed straight up. I was a little disappointed that the sky was socked in and the kids weren't getting the epic Rocky Mountain views I'd been hoping to show them. Conditions were firm but edgeable groomers. The woods were crusty and mostly out of play. It was basically Nov-Dec conditions. Still fun but nothing special. By noon it started to snow and everything changed in an hour. 1-2" made all of the difference and it turned into a playful, frontside day. By the end of the day the kids were stoked by the huge Colorado runs and I knew they had a lot more in store. (No worthwhile pics from day 1)

Monday morning we were standing at the lift 15 minutes before opening staring up at ~6" of overnight snow on top of the 2" from the previous day. And it was still coming down! The Super Bee gets you 2,225 vertical feet FAST. We lapped that thing about 5 times with fresh lines every trip. It was a full on late January powder day! Avalanche work was going on in all the bowls and the kids were totally in awe of the big BOOMS. Resolution Bowl was loading up with the blowing snow and was the hit of the day. Tyler in Reso....
Ty.jpg

Tuesday morning we were again in at the lift before opening. The sun was coming out and it was already 30 degrees. Total snowfall from the past 2 days was 10-12" with heaving loading in the back bowls. It was turning into a classic late February bluebird powder day. We headed straight into Resolution were we had left off the day before. Runs like Drain Pipe were deep, soft, and heavenly!
reso.jpg
After some early avy work, Spaulding bowl opened up and we headed straight for it. This had been where I worked and it was always my favorite. It's the steepest part of Copper and it was loaded up with some amazing snow. Considering that the kids had never seen something like this terrain I was happy and impressed that they attacked it like old pros with no hesitation. Copper Bowl, Union Bowl, and everything else were equally good that day. Spaulding Bowl....spaulding.jpg

Wednesday was blazing sun and hit the high 40s. It was full on late March Spring conditions! North facing runs in the trees and shade were still soft fluffy pow shots. South facing back bowls were luscious spring bumps. We went coast to coast from Far East under the A-Lift to the Far West on Union Meadows and the deep woods at the western boundary. Spring in Copper Bowl....Copper bowl.jpg

It perfect 4 days of western riding. On Day 5 we went up to Leadville to hang out with my family there and give the kids a taste of real (non-resort) Colorado.

This trip salvaged the season for me. Obviously I'd still love to see our New England season turn around, but I can live with just these 4 amazing days.
Capture.jpg

skiNEwhere

Nice TR!

I skied there on 2/14 which I didn't even realize was gonna turn into a pow day. Conditions only seemed to get better throughout the day, glad copper delivered for ya.

JDMRoma

Awesome report and pics ! Glad you got it while it was good !
Must have been hard to come home to this .....

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

dmw

I'm landing in Denver in 24 hrs. Thanks for the stoke!

dlague

So Alex, we are skiing there in two days, any recommendations?

Cannonball

So Alex, we are skiing there in two days, any recommendations?

Really depends on weather/conditions. But in general....
- Stay away from the Center Village lifts (American Eagle and Flyer) except as a means to get to other places.
- Super Bee has no crowds and moves you really fast to a ton of vertical where you can access the whole east side of the mountain including:
---- A-Lift: Crazy long bump runs with ZERO crowds. You'll appreciate the slow fixed gripped double for the rest it offers.
---- Bee-Lift runs themselves are blue cruisers... on speed. Mostly groomed but some steep pitches and fun rollers on runs like Oh No.
---- Resolution "Bowl". Called a Bowl, but it really isn't. These back-area lift gets zero crowds and holds snow forever. But can suck on the Freeze side of a freeze-thaw.

From Super Bee you can traverse to Storm King Lift. Surface lift that access the highest peak the steepest bowl (Spaulding Bowl). Watch conditions. On pretty much any day you can traverse South to the mid-part of the bowl for safe, sweet, steep runs. If conditions are ripe, Patrol offers a steeeeep narrow chute with a cornice drop entrance. At either end of the bowl, Atlantic and Pacific Cornices can generate too-big drops, but worth hitting when they are medium size.

- Union Bowl:
---- Rendevous lift access very low-angle terrain on the frontside, and also drops you into the small side of Copper Bowl.
---- Sierra lift accesses steep terrain on the frontside and the big part of Copper Bowl. DO BOTH

- Far West. The west side takes a beating from the wind. Union Meadows in usually a moonscape. But if that's not in horrendous shape, follow it across into the trees at the far western boundary. There are marked lines that give you enough confidence to charge the trees even if you aren't sure where you are going. You'll drop out to the Timberline lift where a nice protected deck makes for great midday beers in the sun.

ENJOY!

dmw

Where are you skiing? We are here for the week!

Staying near Breck, heading over to Vail for a day, splitting the other days between Breck, maybe Keystone / ABasin / slight chance Copper. It's a group of 6 guys, many variables at play in our plans. Either way, stoked there's some snow going on tonight to refresh things. Looks dry but nice the rest of the week.

Abominable

The snow, the views, the terrain are great out west. But the thing that makes me most jealous is the "nice protected deck makes for great midday beers in the sun."

Even when it's 30 if it's sunny it feels like sitting on the beach. Great report!

Bene288

Thanks. I hope so. I know we all had a blast!
Sounds like it. I have a rad ski uncle too, we're actually heading to Tahoe soon. Love and respect the guy more than I can express. Glad you all had fun!

Sent from my Classic using Tapatalk

dlague

Staying near Breck, heading over to Vail for a day, splitting the other days between Breck, maybe Keystone / ABasin / slight chance Copper. It's a group of 6 guys, many variables at play in our plans. Either way, stoked there's some snow going on tonight to refresh things. Looks dry but nice the rest of the week.

We were at A Basin today and it was phenomenal! I am in love with the place. Could spend several days there.

Edd

Keystone and Breck were nice surprises for me. I liked both for different reasons but I hit them on mellow weekdays. Keystone has a very cool on-mountain bar area with a ton of lounge chairs sort of in a valley where the base of a couple of chairs are. A lot of terrain right there and great skier watching.

dlague

Really depends on weather/conditions. But in general....
- Stay away from the Center Village lifts (American Eagle and Flyer) except as a means to get to other places.
- Super Bee has no crowds and moves you really fast to a ton of vertical where you can access the whole east side of the mountain including:
---- A-Lift: Crazy long bump runs with ZERO crowds. You'll appreciate the slow fixed gripped double for the rest it offers.
---- Bee-Lift runs themselves are blue cruisers... on speed. Mostly groomed but some steep pitches and fun rollers on runs like Oh No.
---- Resolution "Bowl". Called a Bowl, but it really isn't. These back-area lift gets zero crowds and holds snow forever. But can suck on the Freeze side of a freeze-thaw.

From Super Bee you can traverse to Storm King Lift. Surface lift that access the highest peak the steepest bowl (Spaulding Bowl). Watch conditions. On pretty much any day you can traverse South to the mid-part of the bowl for safe, sweet, steep runs. If conditions are ripe, Patrol offers a steeeeep narrow chute with a cornice drop entrance. At either end of the bowl, Atlantic and Pacific Cornices can generate too-big drops, but worth hitting when they are medium size.

- Union Bowl:
---- Rendevous lift access very low-angle terrain on the frontside, and also drops you into the small side of Copper Bowl.
---- Sierra lift accesses steep terrain on the frontside and the big part of Copper Bowl. DO BOTH

- Far West. The west side takes a beating from the wind. Union Meadows in usually a moonscape. But if that's not in horrendous shape, follow it across into the trees at the far western boundary. There are marked lines that give you enough confidence to charge the trees even if you aren't sure where you are going. You'll drop out to the Timberline lift where a nice protected deck makes for great midday beers in the sun.

ENJOY!

Thanks! My Fort Carson son is trying to get us to go to Keystone and ski the back side instead of skiing Copper. I vote is for Copper.

Edd

Thanks! My Fort Carson son is trying to get us to go to Keystone and ski the back side instead of skiing Copper. I vote is for Copper.

I think Copper is clearly the better area, also. Seems to have more terrain and fewer people.

skiNEwhere

If anyone is interested in meeting up, send me a PM. know Breck the most, followed by Winter Park (at least the Mary Jane side)

1Kathleen

More pics from presidents week.

Skied Copper same week. We were there a bit longer and skied Tues-Friday & Sunday with my 16 year old sons and 75 year old parents. Resort was tremendous, plenty of terrain to make everyone happy. Weather was great. I personally had a very difficult time with the altitude ( literally almost passed out in the middle of a first day decent in the Copper bowl), probably tried to to do too much too soon. My boys had a blast in the bowls while I headed down to the easier trails ( didn't make it back there until my last day when I finally was feeling normal). Luckily my boys can ski on their own and I barely saw them the rest of the trip. NH skiing is never going to be satisfying for them again. I attached a few more pics. Also, there was almost no people there. Tues- Thursday we never saw a lift line and many runs we owned the trail. If was a little busier on Friday, took Saturday off and very small lines on Sunday. We stayed in Center Village near the American Eagle lift which is mostly blue trails. It was a challenge for my parents to get over to the east side where most of the green trails are so if any goes there with beginners staying in the East Village area would have been easier.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg