• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cross Country Maine AMC 100 Mile Wilderness Trails 2.22.13

tomcat

Website
tomcatoutdoors.blogspot.com
I know it's not downhill but I also know there are a few other XC skiers on here that may be interested. I'm not sure how the XC has been elsewhere in NE but the AMC has been awesome this year. I live only a little over an hour away and have been there 4 times this year. The trails are groomed, but not like a nordic area. They are not tracked and although skating is possible, the trails seem a little narrow to skate efficiently. The system is based around huts, similar to AMC huts in Whites that most people ski into. I never stayed there and use the trails as day trips.
Despite heavy rain, even in Greenville, Tuesday night, the AMC trails seemed to get a fair amount of snow making conditions wonderful. I did a 22 mile loop making stops at both huts. Most trails were freshly touched up with the groomer and skiing was best of the year.
If you are interested in a more thorough description and a few pics check out my blog http://tomcatoutdoors.blogspot.com/2013/02/long-day-cross-country-skiing-in-100.html

snowmonster

Thanks for the TR. I've been curious about the 100 Mile Wilderness ever since I saw it in the Goodman book. I may do the Hut-to-Hut tour in Carabasset Valley. We have a lot of ski tour TRs and this is definitely welcome. Post 'em up!