• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Crotched 12/23/07

hammer

Date(s) Skied: Sunday 12/23/07

Resort or Ski Area: Crotched Mountain, NH

Conditions: PP to Slightly Wet, Fog and Clouds in the PM

Trip Report: Got in a good day of skiing at Crotched today. Saw some sprinkles on the drive in the morning and got a little concerned about the weather conditions...but it stopped just as we arrived.

Conditions in the morning were groomed packed powder...perfect conditions for carving turns. As the day went on, clouds and fog came in, and the snow changed to a soft, springlike consistency...easy to carve turns but more tiring.

I saw some small bump lines on Pluto's Plunge and Equinox. Just for grins, I tried entering the bumps, but after flailing on my short turns I decided to bail before any yardsales occurred. My son and I also took a run down one of the new short trails, UFO, which apparently is a natural snow trail...lots of bumps and thin cover. My son managed down just fine, and I provided much amusement for him with my three falls, one of which was a classic yardsale.

Crowds...none. Lifts had no lines whatsoever.

This was my first experience skiing in fog...it was interesting at first but I don't think my goggles were the right shade for the flat light, and after a while I was having a hard time seeing the snow texture.

It was a great day to get out before the conditions firm up after the NCP tonight. I'm at four ski trips before Christmas...not a lot by some standards but a personal record. Hope this trend continues...:grin: