• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Deerfield Ridge (All Gladed) Ski Area

GregoryIsaacs

This was just brought up in the Mount Snow Forum and thought it would be of interest here:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/project/?project=53706&exp=overview

Looks like the Forest Service is looking for new uses of this particular area and has proposed an "all gladed ski area expansion"

"Explore new backcountry recreation opportunities off of the Deerfield Ridge trail. Skiers would skin up the proposed connector trail from the Handle Road property to the Deerfield Ridge trail or access from either of the alpine ski areas (Mount Snow or Haystack). Work with DART, DHASH, and/or Catamount to identify appropriate areas,
design, fund, construct, and maintain area."

Is this a pipe dream? I can imagine its a lot of work for an all natural area so far south... But hey cant complain and will surely be looking out for some volunteer cutting days

drjeff

This was just brought up in the Mount Snow Forum and thought it would be of interest here:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/project/?project=53706&exp=overview

Looks like the Forest Service is looking for new uses of this particular area and has proposed an "all gladed ski area expansion"

"Explore new backcountry recreation opportunities off of the Deerfield Ridge trail. Skiers would skin up the proposed connector trail from the Handle Road property to the Deerfield Ridge trail or access from either of the alpine ski areas (Mount Snow or Haystack). Work with DART, DHASH, and/or Catamount to identify appropriate areas,
design, fund, construct, and maintain area."

Is this a pipe dream? I can imagine its a lot of work for an all natural area so far south... But hey cant complain and will surely be looking out for some volunteer cutting days
Shhhhhh!!! We already have enough folks now in the general Mount Snow area most weekends, and of course since it's "Southern VT" the tree skiing couldn't be any good!! [emoji6][emoji6]

Props to the USFS for seemingly wanting to be proactive with creating more back country as well as recreational activities (the ridge trail even in a dry summer, can still be quite boggy in places!!) for all to enjoy!!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

icecoast1

I love the idea of it. But I dont love the idea of every Jerry in Southern Vermont knowing about it

skiur

What is the mt snow forum? Sounds like a cool idea, does mt snow get enough snow that this would be consistently open?

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
June 26, 2013

The summer slump is upon us! Any past or present rumors that anybody's heard?

Here's one that I'm guessing is bogus:
I heard that Mount Snow will open steep sidecountry terrain (like Bracket Basin) to the south of Sunbrook (trail map left). It would be accessed by the x-country trail that runs between MS and Haystack, and merge with Big Dipper, in Sunbrook.

-ss20

https://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread.php/123557-Mountain-Rumors?highlight=

So yeah this is pretty cool...I've been waiting a while :beer:

jaytrem

So yeah this is pretty cool...I've been waiting a while :beer:

Well there is already an old xc trail that runs from the Sunbrook base to the Hermitage Inn. Basically it runs along Cold Brook. By looking at the Strava map it doesn't look like it's getting much use these days. They used to have an annual xc race that went up Haystack, across the ridge, down Sunbrook, and then down that trail. It's been a while since I've been on it, so don't know the current condition. At any rate, you can ski off the ridge and catch that trail for a relatively short hike back to the Sunbrook base. But I'm guessing you'll be breaking trail if you do actually find it. The other catch is if you leave the ridge too soon, you have to work your way around the "hump" that's near the base of Sunbrook. At that point you'd probably be better off hiking up to Sunbrook. I assume GPS might be of assistance when making that choice.

drjeff

What is the mt snow forum? Sounds like a cool idea, does mt snow get enough snow that this would be consistently open?
Mount Snow has it's own forum for season passholders with access via your pass number

As for will there be enough snow to keep it skiable for a while? Number 1, most of that is up to Mother Nature.. Number 2, Southern VT has been doing well snow wise the last few seasons.... Number 3, most, if not all of the likely terrain the USFS would be using for this proposal is above 2500ft, so elevation helps too

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app