• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Demos for Dummies (try before you buy in NE)

skef

Any recommendations on a good place to demo skis? Looking to double the quiver to *two* pair this season. Ikon or Indy places preferred, in the lower two-thirds of New England (so, no Sugars, Blacks, or Jays...). Thanks!

Edd

Loon strikes me as an easy hit for this. They have on-mountain demos last I knew and you also have ski shops in Lincoln to go to.

mister moose

Killington has several good options:

Mid December the mountain usually does a demo day. Quite a few manufacturers show up, there's no charge, and you can try out any ski for a few runs. Try as many as you have time for. The downside is it's usually hard snow, so demoing wide skis for soft snow can be pointless.

Potter Brothers has a demo shop at the base of Snowshed. Usually you can pay for the day, and swap them out a time or two to compare.

There are a dozen good shops on the access road and beyond that demo skis. The selection is as good as it gets.

Pro tip: read up on skis and reviews so you demo skis you'll have a good chance of liking. Skitalk is a great resource.

KustyTheKlown

In my experience, demos just aren’t available for the skis I’m interested in unless I seek out the highly manufacturer specific demo tours. Demo’ing from a mountain or local shop is just a way to get swindled into the latest rossis or dynastars or Solomon. Would be neat if indie brands could actually be demo’d reliably. My dps, moment, Fischer a, and black crows have all been purchased solely off of reviews, word of mouth, and hunch. Prob could have demo’d the Fischer if I tried, those pink ones were Uber popular

kickstand

Because I was interested in some Elan's, I did the demo at Gunstock last season. Not sure how that's gonna work out this year, but if it does, it's a good deal, assuming you're interested in the brands they have. I skied 1 model each of Elan, Head and Armada. I think it was $30 for the day. I did a few runs on each ski.

kendo

SkiEssentials.com does a great job with their ski reviews. Unbiased with lots of emphasis on what makes each ski unique. Their review videos are also great.

I demo'd four skis at Front Four Demo Center - super convenient for taking multiple runs for each but sucky in selling you, your ultimate pick. Have to go to the shop in the Mansfield Lodge to buy. They had no interest in matching Pinnacle/SE.com price.

Ordered my favs online and drove 5 mins to pick up at Pinnacle the next morning. Great experience.

Andrew B.

In my experience, demos just aren’t available for the skis I’m interested in unless I seek out the highly manufacturer specific demo tours. Demo’ing from a mountain or local shop is just a way to get swindled into the latest rossis or dynastars or Solomon. Would be neat if indie brands could actually be demo’d reliably. My dps, moment, Fischer a, and black crows have all been purchased solely off of reviews, word of mouth, and hunch. Prob could have demo’d the Fischer if I tried, those pink ones were Uber popular

SR has an Indy demo day
I did it a few years ago and actually ended up buying a pair from maine local brand

I fell in love wit Icelandic a few years back and that’s all I have ridden the last few seasons

slatham

Big believer in demo’ing skis. But to Kusty’s point, do your research first, and then find places that have those skis. The free demos days are obviously the best - did one at Hunter a decade+ ago and was hooked. I was very surprised how differently my top three skis actually performed.

Potter Brothers has a shop at the base of Bromley. Although they charge you, it’s easy to switch skis. And they 1) credit your demo fee if you buy and 2) discount the skis if they have been used. Unfortunately this year they don’t have the Volkl Deacon 84 which is top on my list, so not sure my plan this year. Hopefully will be in VT when there is a demo day.

Anyone know of demo days at Stratton, Killington or Sugarbush?

Last edited:

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Speaking of demos for dummies - forgot to put my boot bag in the car today so had to rent skis and boots at Shawnee PA today. Didn't bother with demo quality though as it was just skiing one green run over and over again with my kids to start their skison. $44 down the drain from that dumb move. At least I remembered to get all the kids gear in the car.

Edd

Speaking of demos for dummies - forgot to put my boot bag in the car today so had to rent skis and boots at Shawnee PA today. Didn't bother with demo quality though as it was just skiing one green run over and over again with my kids to start their skison. $44 down the drain from that dumb move. At least I remembered to get all the kids gear in the car.
I've done that. It happened to be a powder day so renting pow skis worked out nicely. Not so great with early season conditions. It's quite a moment, popping the hatch on the car and getting reminded how stupid I can be.

Dickc

I forgot my PARKA one day and drove three hours to Killington. Found out Snowshed rents parkas!

dlague

I demo'd Icelantics at Cannon years ago that was pretty cool Nomad 105s. They were super playful. So indy brands do show up from time to time.