• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Dings, Chips, Scratches....oh my!

BeanoNYC

So my 3 month old car has seen it's share of abuse in its young life:

Tiny ding with a scratch on door from Sugarbush lot. (I'm thinking it was a passerby with a ski)

Scratch on drivers side door.

Chips on the front hood from driving on unpaved road.

Any idea what I should do? One of the tiny chips is past the clearcoat. I'd hate to bring it to an auto body shop for something so small but it's the sum of all the blemishes that's bothering me.

Moe Ghoul

Tiny ding with a scratch on door from Sugarbush lot. (I'm thinking it was a passerby with a ski)

Any idea what I should do? One of the tiny chips is past the clearcoat. I'd hate to bring it to an auto body shop for something so small but it's the sum of all the blemishes that's bothering me.

My Pilot has the same type of blemishes. Using a buffer and/or certain compounds can reduce or eliminate some of them. Don't bother with the colored waxes, they are a mess and only work for the teeniest scratches.

wa-loaf

You can usually get spot paints from the dealer to fix the chips. If you don't you are likely to develop rust spots.

campgottagopee

Check these guys out for you ding:
www.dentwizard.com
They specialize in "PDR" or paintless dent removal. They come to my lot every week and I highly reccomend them. They'll make that baby disappear.

As for the chips you need to find someone who can airbrush, or what's known as a chip repair. I know of no national company that does this so you'll need to look around. I'd ask the tech from Dentwizard if he/she knows of anyone around that he would reccomend. Usually vendors like these guys know each other.

Not sure in your area but up here cost would be $75.00 for the PDR and $150.00 "ish" for the chip repair. Good luck

BeanoNYC

Check these guys out for you ding:
www.dentwizard.com
They specialize in "PDR" or paintless dent removal. They come to my lot every week and I highly reccomend them. They'll make that baby disappear.

As for the chips you need to find someone who can airbrush, or what's known as a chip repair. I know of no national company that does this so you'll need to look around. I'd ask the tech from Dentwizard if he/she knows of anyone around that he would reccomend. Usually vendors like these guys know each other.

Not sure in your area but up here cost would be $75.00 for the PDR and $150.00 "ish" for the chip repair. Good luck

Thanks, I'll check it out.

twinplanx

Oh I forgot that this is really the off season and theres been some car talk recently .....I thought this tread was about the skis in your quiver. Not whats in the driveway. My PE's took a lickin this winter and I only skied about 10x Any thoughts on filling in the damage to the top area of the ski? I've just been patching them up with auto body epoxy...now I'm talkin cars

BeanoNYC

Oh I forgot that this is really the off season and theres been some car talk recently .....I thought this tread was about the skis in your quiver. Not whats in the driveway. My PE's took a lickin this winter and I only skied about 10x Any thoughts on filling in the damage to the top area of the ski? I've just been patching them up with auto body epoxy...now I'm talkin cars

The top sheet of the PE's are just clear ptex. (That's why they carry the extra weight and get scratched so easy) It's an easy fix, though. If you don't mind the carbon you can light a ptex candle. If you do, use a soldering iron to melt it in. After that it's just like ptex on the bottom of your PE. Scrape the excess and your done. You can take a soldering iron to melt those little fringe scrapes around the edge of the topsheet.

wa-loaf

The top sheet of the PE's are just clear ptex. (That's why they carry the extra weight and get scratched so easy) It's an easy fix, though. If you don't mind the carbon you can light a ptex candle. If you do, use a soldering iron to melt it in. After that it's just like ptex on the bottom of your PE. Scrape the excess and your done. You can take a soldering iron to melt those little fringe scrapes around the edge of the topsheet.

I don't know anything about the PE's, but p-tex on the top sheet? That doesn't sound right.

BeanoNYC

I don't know anything about the PE's, but p-tex on the top sheet? That doesn't sound right.

Crazy isn't it? I didn't believe it until I repaired it with some clear ribbon. Worked like a charm. If a piece of the topsheet peels off but not completely, you just iron back in!

ed-drum

Try paintscratch.com. They have the exact paint for any car. The quality of Duplicolor paint stinks. Try "paintless dent repair" in the phone book. Ed.

ed-drum

I have to get a can myself for one of my cars. I have small paint chips on my car too. The best way to tackle a small chip is to spray some in the can lid and dab it on with a Q tip or small brush. (Sand rust off first) Let it dry for a few days, then carefully sand with 400 or 600 grit wet dry sandpaper. I let the garden hose dribble on it when sanding. The more water the better. It won't be perfect, but it will come out looking good. I have a 1969 Mercedes 250c (coupe) in the garage which needs a complete paint job. The car is mechanically perfect with new pistons, rebuilt cylinder head, dual Weber carbs, shocks, brakes, etc., which I did myself. It is going to be completely stripped, the rust welded and sprayed. It's my summer project and is going to be a lot of work but FUN. I had a similar one ( a 1971) in Germany and got it up to 155mph!!!!!!!!!!! (Autobahn) Dent Doctors and the other similar companies just pull dents, not redo paint. Ed.

BeanoNYC

I have to get a can myself for one of my cars. I have small paint chips on my car too. The best way to tackle a small chip is to spray some in the can lid and dab it on with a Q tip or small brush. (Sand rust off first) Let it dry for a few days, then carefully sand with 400 or 600 grit wet dry sandpaper. I let the garden hose dribble on it when sanding. The more water the better. It won't be perfect, but it will come out looking good. I have a 1969 Mercedes 250c (coupe) in the garage which needs a complete paint job. The car is mechanically perfect with new pistons, rebuilt cylinder head, dual Weber carbs, shocks, brakes, etc., which I did myself. It is going to be completely stripped, the rust welded and sprayed. It's my summer project and is going to be a lot of work but FUN. I had a similar one ( a 1971) in Germany and got it up to 155mph!!!!!!!!!!! (Autobahn) Dent Doctors and the other similar companies just pull dents, not redo paint. Ed.

You don't recommend the felt tip paint pen's they have on the site?