• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Dramatic Late Night Rescue on Vermont's Snake Mountain

thetrailboss

Staff member
A dramatic late night rescue took place last night on Addison County's Snake Mountain, a popular hiking and biking location. This place is frickin' awesome for a sunset hike (overlooks Lake Champlain and the 'Dacks) and has a lot of trails. This guy was mountain biking at 5pm when he fell off a cliff :blink: He was outside for about ten hours before finally loaded into an ambulance. The rescue effort was intense.

Read all about it here and comment.

MtnMagic

It's amazing that he didn't die falling 150'. He is very lucky that trees were on the slope break his fall. Make that incredibily lucky to have survived!

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
Mountain biking along/near a cliff is pretty risky business.

When I was photographing around Moab,UT in slickrock country I saw mountain bikers do alot of risky stuff.

The question we all might have is should the biker have to pay for the cost of part of his rescue?

JimG.

Staff member
ski_resort_observer said:
Mountain biking along/near a cliff is pretty risky business.

When I was photographing around Moab,UT in slickrock country I saw mountain bikers do alot of risky stuff.

The question we all might have is should the biker have to pay for the cost of part of his rescue?

100 rescuers! That's gonna be one heck of a bill!!

One of the reasons I don't MTB anymore is that I have a hard time passing on difficult obstacles even though I know I'll probably fall trying. Can't tell you how many ladders and downed trees I fell from. I hurt both shoulders pretty bad doing my superman imitations over the handlebars too. Just got to be too much.

I guess the question of whether he should be billed depends on whether he was reckless and unskilled.

bvibert

Staff member