• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Dumping in Jackson Hole..

The slow start to the season had me nervous but wow it's dumped 4+ feet in the past week at Jackson Hole with several more storms lined up..I'm booking my trip tomorrow and I have $250 airline vouchers..steezy..

snoseek

Lots of inbounds slides being reported but it is still for the most part a controlled environment.

Lots of inbounds slides being reported but it is still for the most part a controlled environment.

One ski patroller got caught in a slide..as of earlier this evening, there was 20 inches of new snow at the base of Rendevous mountain and 30+ inches on the upper mountain with 10-12 inches of snow in the town of Jackson. I expect most of the inbounds terrain to open in the next few days...

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
Right now the valley is shutdown. No way in, no way out. It's happened before. As you can see from this pic from this morning at the top of Teton Pass all the workerbees who drive it everyday to work in the valley are staying at home. Ski Patrol is working hard to keep up but at the moment it's a losing battle, the same for all the road crews. Most services are currently offline. Avi danger is thru the roof.

WYO22TetonPassWest.jpg

My trip to Jackson hole is booked....I'll be there January 24th-February 2nd..I'm once again staying at the 49er Inn but I'm paying less money this year due to a Central reservations special..Book 3 nights and get 1 night free...so based on the length of my stay I'm getting 2 free nights...Only 29 more days...sa sa sa psyched..

Philpug

My trip to Jackson hole is booked....I'll be there January 24th-February 2nd..I'm once again staying at the 49er Inn but I'm paying less money this year due to a Central reservations special..Book 3 nights and get 1 night free...so based on the length of my stay I'm getting 2 free nights...Only 29 more days...sa sa sa psyched..

Just going to miss you, will be there from 1/18-25, looks like one day of overlap.

drjeff

The whole JH snow issue has my office manager FREAKED right now, as tommorrow AM, her daughter who is on winter break from Boston College, gets on a 6AM flight out of Laguardia to go visit her Uncle at his "cottage" in JH(okay it's a 7,000+ sq. ft place :eek:) Granted my office manager's daughter is at most a low level intermediate skier who will be skiing with a private instructor most of the time(The uncle is LOADED and takes care of family members when they visit). But none the less, the worrysome mother effect was clearly evident in her today.

jaja111

Guess they had an "incident" today which shut down 90% of the mountain.

http://www.jacksonhole.com/info/jhpressreleases/jhpressreleases.122908.release.asp

Two days ago some dude was killed in a slide on the headwall.

And....... more bad news, Whistler is on their 2nd fatality for the season (both involving rocks rather than snow). Major craziness out west. Should have known considering here its 60 degrees, rain, then wind... rinse repeat rinse repeat.

The whole JH snow issue has my office manager FREAKED right now, as tommorrow AM, her daughter who is on winter break from Boston College, gets on a 6AM flight out of Laguardia to go visit her Uncle at his "cottage" in JH(okay it's a 7,000+ sq. ft place :eek:) Granted my office manager's daughter is at most a low level intermediate skier who will be skiing with a private instructor most of the time(The uncle is LOADED and takes care of family members when they visit). But none the less, the worrysome mother effect was clearly evident in her today.

Well low level intermediates cross where the headwall avalanche hit to get to Amphitheater..your office manager should be terrified and her daughter should report directly to my apartment..:idea:

Trekchick

DrJeff, have your office manager read this thread on EpicSki
http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=77775
Bob Peters describes the conditions and actions of the patrol. Her daughter is sure to have fun and will be in the good hands of the best patrol on the planet.
:)

drjeff

DrJeff, have your office manager read this thread on EpicSki
http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=77775
Bob Peters describes the conditions and actions of the patrol. Her daughter is sure to have fun and will be in the good hands of the best patrol on the planet.
:)

Thanks Trek, I'll "force" my office manager to look over my shoulder and read that when she gets in shortly.