• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ems

hammer

They are have a sale on their brand stuff, up to 50% off.
We purchased an EMS fleece jacket for my daughter few years ago...every bit as good as the popular TNF Denali but much less expensive (and now only $49.50). Good thing she wasn't too picky about not having the TNF logo on it.

o3jeff

I actually find EMS clothing is hit or miss as far as sizing goes, one year it fits me perfectly the next year the same shirt is way too long.

REI clothing sizes seems to be more consistent.

SKIQUATTRO

Agree about ems sizing.. I got a half zip shirt as a gift, size L, but the sleeves they sewed on must have been from a jr size shirt..

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I just bought a Dakine Heli pack from REI, unrelated but I had a $25 gift code that I bought from Google Offers a few month ago. I've been looking for a decent ski carry pack in case I can actually get up to say Tucks in the springtime... gonna be tough as the wife will be a house at that point. Don't want her to deliver while I'm skiing... that would be unforgiveable :lol:

thetrailboss

Staff member
I actually find EMS clothing is hit or miss as far as sizing goes, one year it fits me perfectly the next year the same shirt is way too long.

REI clothing sizes seems to be more consistent.

+ 1. That, and as Nick said, they have stopped carrying a lot of other brands it seems. At least online. I was a bit disappointed, although being out west I think the chances of buying as much as I used to from them is slim to none.

The one thing that they screwed up on was that a few years back they began offering a store credit card. If it had been a Visa or Mastercard that you could use elsewhere and earn bonus dollars/rewards at EMS I would have been first in line. We have LL Bean cards and slowly we have been buying more and more from LLB. Now we look there first.

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
EMS is that place for me i'll walk into and if i like something and it fits ill buy it, but I never really venture to EMS for my go to shopping. A sale is always intriguing though.

BackLoafRiver

We have LL Bean cards and slowly we have been buying more and more from LLB. Now we look there first.

This.

The EMS stores around me closed down. Now, if I am in Portland for something else I will swing by but LL Bean is closer and I find their fit to be more consistent.

I did get a techwick 1/4 zip thermo a few years ago as a gift that I love. Their store in North Conway is pretty on point, the staff is friendly and knowledgeable.

thetrailboss

Staff member
This.

The EMS stores around me closed down. Now, if I am in Portland for something else I will swing by but LL Bean is closer and I find their fit to be more consistent.

I did get a techwick 1/4 zip thermo a few years ago as a gift that I love. Their store in North Conway is pretty on point, the staff is friendly and knowledgeable.

I always thought it was strange that they have one store in Maine, but when you consider LL Bean's presence, it is not hard to see why. I would have figured that they would do well with a store near Sugarloaf or up in Bangor for folks heading into the wild. But not enough people I guess. There is a really good sports store in downtown Bangor actually....I was surprised.

BackLoafRiver

I, too, thought a store in Bangor would have made sense. They easily could have done it before they put in the LL Bean outlet.

The downtown store is Epic Sports. I haven't been up there in the winter but during the spring it had a nice selection of higher end gear for hiking/climbing/camping.

EMS had a smaller store in Augusta for a while but they randomly closed up shop. Grabbed some shoes at the Going Out of Business sale for mad cheap.

I never thought I could pull off the "puffy jacket" thing but http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11021456#green looks tempting in black.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yes, Epic Sports. Nice shop. I could not believe the high end stuff that they had. Good service, decent prices, local folks.