• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ever Hear Rumors that the USFS is the Reason Why Ski Areas Close Early? POWDER Magazine Provides the Real Answer

thetrailboss

Staff member
99% of the time it's strictly a business decision. Thanks for sharing.
After reading the article you linked, I spent another 45 mins looking at other Powder Mag articles from their site. :giggle:
Right? So glad to see Powder is coming back!

BodeMiller1

At Cannon it's all about the bears, not the bengamens. Cannon seems to have a hard closing date before the season begins. The labor swapping to golf courses, landscaping and such is more true than ever. After covid and the coming political winds.

Attachments

• 17197047991518687850474605282819.jpg
    17197047991518687850474605282819.jpg
    680.2 KB · Views: 1

machski

At Cannon it's all about the bears, not the bengamens. Cannon seems to have a hard closing date before the season begins. The labor swapping to golf courses, landscaping and such is more true than ever. After covid and the coming political winds.
Cannon has the added labor swapping to Franconia State Park summer operations as well. The fact the GM of Cannon also runs the State Park is a major reason they hard stop.

snoseek

It's a damn shame because they could be an absolute late spring competitor with using the upper quad and tram to access. Same goes for fall. Cannon could compete for lengthiest season with that set up and whatever trail they went with.

Newpylong

It's a damn shame because they could be an absolute late spring competitor with using the upper quad and tram to access. Same goes for fall. Cannon could compete for lengthiest season with that set up and whatever trail they went with.

There are certainly many other areas with setups better suited to holding snow later than Superstar, but the venues as a whole are just not the same. With the main base area at higher elevation right at the bottom of Superstar it's hard to beat. It also helps that Killington can cash in on F&B to the extreme as well.

chuckstah

I remember when Cannon went for early/late season, but it's been a long time. I remember skiing opening day on Halloween with the setup mentioned above, as well as a May first closing day still top to bottom. I remember thinking this setup is way better than K. Both had a summit lodge near the skiing, but the snow retention and up/ download was way better. This was very early 90's it believe.
The current SS setup is definitely better these days, but Cannon snow retention blows it away.