• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Excessive crowds on the Modern day Ski mountain, Lift lines, Traffic lines & Parking issues. What, Where, When??

nhskier1969

I have three awful lifelines.
First one is at Vail, blue bird day skiing the back bowls. Getting close to the lift, I'm am like, you got to be kidding me. over and hr wait.

Second is Tremblant Gondola. The lift sucks. forget the lines(which are awful) everyone just pushes hard forward. Took it a half dozen times over two days. Everyone just pushes themselves on the Gondola, most of the time my family would get separated trying to get on the Gondola together. I finally put my arms out stopping anyone who wanted to get on the Gondola so my family could get on together.

Third, Base gondola at Steamboat. Nothing like waiting over an hour on a non powder day for a Gondola to get out of the base area. If have ever been to Steamboat you will know what I am talking about. After the line zig zags thru the large corral, this is where the line really starts. It then snakes it way thru the base village up the stairs and ended at the bus drop area.

Kingslug20

MRG on a saturday. Jay peak when all that is open is Jet because of wind holds.
Also a 30" day at Stowe when only the triple was open to start. Then every time another lift opened then that line.
I was at Stowe that day..1 hour line...but I did it all day...was worth it!
Then when the quad opened...holy canoli !!

xlr8r

I was at Stowe that day..1 hour line...but I did it all day...was worth it!
Then when the quad opened...holy canoli !!
Yeah I was at Stowe for that in March of 2019, tons of fresh snow, only the triple open, with hour plus lines, by afternoon most people gave up, but they got the Fourruner spinning at around 2:30, and the few that remained got to enjoy some unbelievable late afternoon skiing.

4aprice

Just back from Colorado and heard a good one from my son about I-70 but in line with this topic. "I-70, epic lift lines and ikonic traffic" I always get a kick on how the crowds dissipate in the Spring. The lift lines and crowds of the "regular season" (say Christmas to Presidents week) gone. Shoulder season rules.

snoseek

Just back from Colorado and heard a good one from my son about I-70 but in line with this topic. "I-70, epic lift lines and ikonic traffic" I always get a kick on how the crowds dissipate in the Spring. The lift lines and crowds of the "regular season" (say Christmas to Presidents week) gone. Shoulder season rules.
The good places really don't get going till March imo.

4aprice

The good places really don't get going till March imo.
Love the "High Country " the last 8 weeks of the season

We have a 50" base at Alta with 80% of the mountain open and lifts have been ski-on everyday save for opening day when it was... hold your hats here... a whopping 5ish minutes at opening bell and 1 minute the rest of the day.
No lines to speak of at the Front Range Ikon mountains this past week. Even Copper on Friday (a really beautiful day btw) where I thought it would be real busy, 2-3 minute waits.

KustyTheKlown

I have three awful lifelines.
First one is at Vail, blue bird day skiing the back bowls. Getting close to the lift, I'm am like, you got to be kidding me. over and hr wait.

Second is Tremblant Gondola. The lift sucks. forget the lines(which are awful) everyone just pushes hard forward. Took it a half dozen times over two days. Everyone just pushes themselves on the Gondola, most of the time my family would get separated trying to get on the Gondola together. I finally put my arms out stopping anyone who wanted to get on the Gondola so my family could get on together.

Third, Base gondola at Steamboat. Nothing like waiting over an hour on a non powder day for a Gondola to get out of the base area. If have ever been to Steamboat you will know what I am talking about. After the line zig zags thru the large corral, this is where the line really starts. It then snakes it way thru the base village up the stairs and ended at the bus drop area.

i am 3 for 3 on these experiences. tremblant is really horrible on any sort of crowded day. that includes every weekend i think.

Mum skier

There was a Saturday at Sunapee last season where they had been expecting snow on a Friday night but ended up getting an ice rain storm instead. Both express lifts did not run all day due to icing, all of Boston had driven up for the day expecting powder and there were hour wait for the triple and south peak quad. Our kids in the development group were able to get some limited runs in. The team skiers hiked up part way to ski one or two gates. The lodge was completely jammed wiht everyone waiting and hoping the express lifts would start up. We didn’t even bother trying a run, instead hiked to the summit, me wearing my daughters slippery snow boots as my only other footwear was Ugg boots! But it’s a nice hike to the summit!

MidnightJester

"Mayhem at Whistler": Skier seen dodging dozens on busy slope​

Hmmmm??

While many people in the comments of the Ride and Alpine post felt too many people were on the run??
Others felt the person filming was “reckless” for how he was dodging others on the hill??

Looked like a busy trail to me but "OK" I Wouldn't like to run it all the time but The Snow looked nice :) I also thought he skied past them in a mostly safe area way outside most of those riding abilities and the few that went where he was he avoided.

Last edited:

4aprice

So, just about everywhere has limited snow and terrain right now, BC included. Limited terrain is a huge problem for this current holiday season. I would be interested to see if the injury stats have risen over past holiday week.

But I'm becoming more in favor of "limiting" the amount of people "on the snow" much like the amount of seats for any other live event. But there are so many problems with that though, like it would have to be on some sort of sliding scale in relation to how much terrain is open and lifts running. Then as BG points out that no season pass holder should be shut out and he's right. I have no problems with having to make reservations but can understand others who do. I read the (Comfortable Carry Capacity) CCC stuff and that seemed based on lift capacity which I don't think should be the main metric. Acreage open would have to be another metric in there. Hearing a lot of complaints from people concerned about their safety lately

Traffic and parking? The mega pass? I'm a happy holder of one so I'm part of the problem. The weekend warrior is screwed. The day tripper extinct, (with maybe the exception of the night skier) I don't see the resorts ever going back to the old days of walk up sales of day tickets, heck they get my money in March for next year before this season is even over.. And ski areas aren't the only industry that operates like that as my summer slip is paid for in previous October.

For now I just accept that weekends, holidays and powder days, for those that live close by, between Christmas and at least Presidents weekend, are going to be busy, and plan around them as much as possible. Still ski the weekend but am never surprised by the crowds. Ski with the head on a swivel. We get there early, try and find the nicest snow even if its on lower pitched trails and will cut it short, and ski another day if it becomes intolerable out there. The spring season is what I ski for all winter anyways.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Lets see where this season ends up with the crowds and traffic issues. What is the worst you have been through?
Honestly, so far so good in terms of BCC this season. The parking reservation system at both Brighton and Solitude have significantly cut down on traffic and made SR-190 safer. Yesterday there were only a handful of cars on the side of 190 when normally they are lined up for over a mile or so. I know that some Brighton passholders are pissed, but the system is identical to Alta's and it works pretty well. I was able to get my reservation for Alta last night for today. No issues.

Smellytele

Today I went to pats peak to skin up. It was the most people I have ever seen going up hill. While gearing up I saw at least 40 people heading up or finishing up. I really need some snow to get off of the resort uphill scene. I am afraid that the off resort places I know are going to be just as crowded. May Need to find another activity that less people do. Going to sound like an old man yelling get off my lawn but 4-5 years ago I would be one of only a few going uphill. Now everybody and their wife is.

takeahike46er

"Mayhem at Whistler": Skier seen dodging dozens on busy slope​

Hmmmm??

While many people in the comments of the Ride and Alpine post felt too many people were on the run??
Others felt the person filming was “reckless” for how he was dodging others on the hill??

The crowd is largely a consequence of low tide conditions in the alpine for this time of year combined with the Peak Chair just having opened. All those skiers are choosing to go for another lap (as opposed to continuing skiers’ left and going down to Red), but the anemic coverage is funneling everyone high and right as they try and exit Whistler Bowl. Not much of an issue most seasons as people are more spread out.

I don’t see anything wrong with how James was skiing.

ThatGuy

Park City was super crowed today. Two heli evacs yesterday and the town ran out of ambulances 😂
Today someone lacerated their entire leg on 9990 and the was another heli called in…

thetrailboss

Staff member
Park City was super crowed today. Two heli evacs yesterday and the town ran out of ambulances 😂
Today someone lacerated their entire leg on 9990 and the was another heli called in…
WTAF?!

In comparison, Alta was "pretty mellow" today in the words of one Alta ski instructor I rode up the lift with. No helicopters and no ambulances that I saw.