• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Farewell Subaru

koreshot

Yesterday Subie announced that they will be leaving the WRC. This is bad news, since Subie was such a huge part of the sport. (Suzuki is also leaving).

The thinking is that the FIA's move to S2000 spec for 09-10 season is what sealed the deal. Some of the manufacturers are less interested in fielding cars that have no resemblance to and have little in common with the cars they sell to the public. I guess Subie would rather have the Impreza doing super human things on people's TV screens, than some spec car with a Subaru sticker.

Glenn

I saw that yesterday in the daily e-mail I receive from AutoWeek. I'm pretty stunned by that; they had a huge part in the WRC. Lots of shocking news lately though...Honda out of F1 and Audi out of ALMS.

On a semi related note, Honda has nixed the next generation NSX...which IIRC was supposed to be a front engine V-10.

wintersyndrome

Honda is also leaving F1, with the global economic slowdown, more and more auto manufacturers are scaling back their non-essential or low ROI advertising and sponsorships. I guess F1 is not the only one to be hit, now that you mention Subaru and the WRC. Scary thought is with the Detroit situation, could you imagine NASCAR without the big three?

campgottagopee

Yesterday Subie announced that they will be leaving the WRC. This is bad news, since Subie was such a huge part of the sport. (Suzuki is also leaving).

The thinking is that the FIA's move to S2000 spec for 09-10 season is what sealed the deal. Some of the manufacturers are less interested in fielding cars that have no resemblance to and have little in common with the cars they sell to the public. I guess Subie would rather have the Impreza doing super human things on people's TV screens, than some spec car with a Subaru sticker.

True, they are still doing this:

"At SOA, we have no plans to discontinue our support of the Rally America National
Championship, where our Subaru Rally Team USA drivers Travis Pastrana and Ken
Block finished 1-2 respectively in the 2008 season, driving 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX
STI-based rally cars."

koreshot

Scary thought is with the Detroit situation, could you imagine NASCAR without the big three?

Personally, I would be happy if they canned NASCAR altogether. I don't like the cars, I don't like the circular tracks and I don't like the over the top cheesy commentators/coverage. But thats just me.

While we are at it, lets cancel Pinks on Speed. I am tired of 6 hour Pinks marathons. Amateur drag racing has its place in motorsports, but do we have to make it 50% of the programming? :puke:

Rant over.

wintersyndrome

Personally, I would be happy if they canned NASCAR altogether. I don't like the cars, I don't like the circular tracks and I don't like the over the top cheesy commentators/coverage. But thats just me.

Not a fan of NASCAR either,...I mean c'mon, who cant make left turns all day.

It does however generate a lot of ancillary businesses, so there is economic another reverberation if the big three went under

My god though, without football after January, what would rednecks do with their weekends?

ctenidae

Not a fan of NASCAR either,...I mean c'mon, who cant make left turns all day.

Always thought it'd be interesting to try to NASCAR a trail- only turn left all the way down, looping all the way. Tough to maintain the uphill speed, but just think how much fun it'd be to rub paint..er, Gortex, with others...