• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Farmington River - Tarriffville Park - Kayaking Trip 7/16/05

loafer89

I do not know if this report fits in here, but I will post it if anyone is interested.

My son and I went kayaking yesterday on the Farmington River in Connecticut for the first time. We usually go on the Housatonic, but it is bone dry due to the fisherman winning a legal fight to stop dam releases on the river :evil: :angry: :x

We did the trip through Tarriffville gorge, with class II-III whitewater and we had a fun time, running the broken dam was interesting especially the 4' drop :eek:

I did not bring my camera with me, as I did not know the behavior and layout of the river until yesterday, but I will bring it next time that we go.

I want to kayak the Esophus near Belleayre in the near future, and I want to get/post some summer pictures of Belleayre.

Anyone else paddle in Connecticut?

cantdog

How can I forget Tarriffville and my swim in Pencil Sharpener? :oops: Though I have only been there once, people have commented on it being quite the different run at different levels. It was @2500cfs when I was there. There was a rodeo that day and watching it was 1/2 the fun.

loafer89

We ran the river at 570cfs, which is a good summer level, but has a river with more forgiving hazards. I have a two person Aire inflatable kayak, which is like a raft in many respects.

This was my first time on the river, so I ran it conservatively as I had my son in the front. We ran right in between Pencil Sharpener and Klingon, and went on to run the dam with it's fun 4' drop that scared the piss out of me.

Next time I would like to run Satan's Kingdom.

loafer89

loafer89 said:
We ran the river at 570cfs, which is a good summer level, but has a river with more forgiving hazards. I have a two person Aire inflatable kayak, which is like a raft in many respects.

This was my first time on the river, so I ran it conservatively as I had my son in the front. We ran right in between Pencil Sharpener and Klingon, and went on to run the dam with it's fun 4' drop that scared the piss out of me.

Next time I would like to run Satan's Kingdom.

My wife and I did Bull's bridge on the Housatonic in a rafting trip in 1996. We did a 20' drop over the waterfall and the guy in front of me was ejected from the raft like a missle.