• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Farr's Hill to Offer Lift-Serviced Skiing

Killingtime

Something I thought was repost-worthy, Oak Mountain's "Tree Bar" is being relocated to Farr's Hill in Randolph VT, giving it lift-serviced skiing for the first time since the 1960s.
Kind a cool to see something reopen after being NELSAP'ed for over half a century. There's a bunch of these around now. I always wondered how they work out with the cost of insurance, utilities, etc. I know most of the labor is volunteer. One day I'll hit Ascutney for a few runs and show my support.

thetrailboss

Staff member

ne_skier

I'm surprised they aren't taking Oak's Village T-bar instead. It seems to be in better shape while the Tree Bar seems to be parts cobbled together. Then again I'm sure there's a reason Oak isn't running it anymore.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'm surprised they aren't taking Oak's Village T-bar instead. It seems to be in better shape while the Tree Bar seems to be parts cobbled together. Then again I'm sure there's a reason Oak isn't running it anymore.
It's probably a lot cheaper. I read about Farr's Hill and I think it is great that a local couple bought the hill and have reopened it for the community. That is awesome.

Lotso

Tree Bar ran fine, just too tough for rank beginners and beginning snowboarders to ride. Carpet going in. The longer T has run, but not regularly. It's in worse shape that the one that went to Farr's.

mister moose

An agreement is in place to purchase a Hall T-Bar from Oak Mountain in New York, which should arrive later this spring. Armstrong's Rain or Shine Tent and Events Company owns much of the equipment needed to transport and install the lift when engineering is complete.

In addition to the estimated 160 vertical foot T-Bar lift, two handle tows may be installed to serve snow tubing and beginner skiing, respectively. In the future, the barn at the base of the slope could be renovated into a base lodge. In the interim, Armstrong's company will continue to provide tents for warming space.

Kudos to the Armstrongs for the tenacity to see this through. It should not take 3 years to permit a 160 foot vertical T-bar in Vermont. It will be fun to mosey over there and try it out.

Newpylong

The Tree-Bar more closely fits the destination lift profile than the other T-Bar. If you're on a budget, and even if you're not, that is ideal. Why pay for extra towers, a motor with too much HP, more sheave reconfigurations, and more engineering in general if not needed?

Glenn

Nice! Looks like a hill somewhat similar to what they have at Living Memorial in Bratt.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Where is the quote you posted from?
He is referring to the original article:

Circa 2018, the former Farr's Hill property was put up for sale. After looking at the property, Armstrong and his wife Lynn acquired the twelve acre tract, initially hoping to have a lift in place in time for that winter. Though complications related to permitting put those plans on hold, the Armstrongs were able to host the Randolph Winter Fest in early 2019, drawing an estimated 1,100 people for a variety of winter activities.

ne_skier

Does anyone know the status of this project? The installation has been removed from Liftblog's 2021 Installs page. Late July/early August is typically when resorts start canceling projects, note Berkshire East, Catamount, Gore, Mammoth, etc.