• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Favorite Glade? (See Rules)

MadMadWorld

Which is your favorite?

Rules:
- No unmarked slackcountry of any kind (name must be on a trail map)
- No unmarked lines off of marked glades (Example - known lines off Paradise proper)
- No geographical reference to unmarked lines (Example - the trees between Trail A and B)

My list:
Timbuktu @ Jay - of all the tree skiing at Jay this area holds powder the longest in the winter and softens nicely during the spring
Doc Dempsey's @ Smuggs - similar to Timbuktu in that it always seems to hold snow well and is a blast in the spring. It's a great "end of day" glade that offers up nicely spaced trees with just enough pitch to keep you on your toes.
Casablanca @ Saddleback - a massive glade that feels like a never ending forest. Trees can be tight in places but you can ski powder days after a storm in here.

rev bubba

Anywhere?

Than Santa Fe Ski Basin, New Mexico. I vote for the North and South Burn glades. We had untracked powder two days after it snowed and even on a weekend, the Texans stayed on the groomed and left the glades to the locals and east coast skiers. Perfect pitch so you could enjoy them and keep up your speed without the worry of serious injury like the glades we skied at Taos last season.

MadMadWorld

Anywhere?

Than Santa Fe Ski Basin, New Mexico. I vote for the North and South Burn glades. We had untracked powder two days after it snowed and even on a weekend, the Texans stayed on the groomed and left the glades to the locals and east coast skiers. Perfect pitch so you could enjoy them and keep up your speed without the worry of serious injury like the glades we skied at Taos last season.

Sounds like a good time. I will have to check it out if I ever get to ski NM!

4aprice

Which is your favorite?

Rules:
- No unmarked slackcountry of any kind (name must be on a trail map)
- No unmarked lines off of marked glades (Example - known lines off Paradise proper)
- No geographical reference to unmarked lines (Example - the trees between Trail A and B)

My list:
Timbuktu @ Jay - of all the tree skiing at Jay this area holds powder the longest in the winter and softens nicely during the spring
Doc Dempsey's @ Smuggs - similar to Timbuktu in that it always seems to hold snow well and is a blast in the spring. It's a great "end of day" glade that offers up nicely spaced trees with just enough pitch to keep you on your toes.
Casablanca @ Saddleback - a massive glade that feels like a never ending forest. Trees can be tight in places but you can ski powder days after a storm in here.

Doc Dempsey's used to be my favorite. Something happened (I think it was a tree blight of some kind) and the top of the run lost a whole bunch of trees. My true favorite glade now would be Hard Coin at Brighton Utah but I'm sure you want the northeast. Best Glade run I had in the last 2 seasons (cause last year none of the woods I hit were very good) was Low Rider on Snowdon 2 seasons ago.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

xwhaler

Also a vote for Casa at the 'Back. Since I know Saddleback the best I will also put in a vote for Intimidator/Thrombosis Glades (especially the upper sections of each)

Had a lot of fun last yr during a powder day in Egan's Woods at Sugarbush.
My days at Magic+Burke last yr were too thin to ski the woods but I hope to soon.

snowmonster

Blind Ambition, Sunday River - Mellow but huge glade that's fun to rip up especially after a good snowstorm.
Brackett Basin, Sugarloaf - So many possibilities, so little time.
No. 4, Casablanca, Saddleback - Tight at the beginning, well-spaced in the middle and interesting in the end.
Timbuktu, Jay Peak - Mellow angle, well-spaced trees without the annoying runout of Andre's Paradise.
Semi-Tough woods - Mellow angle and playful.
Paradise, Mad River Glen - Ski it if you can!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Hard to beat Kinsman Glade or Tramline at Cannon (Tramline is listed as a Cannon Glade and does have a short tree shot to drop into the line, kinda cheating a bit here with a technicality). Both are very long and generally steep.

I am sure Paradise at MRG will get a lot of love but (at the risk of reopening that other thread) I think Paradise is somewhat "overrated". When the snow is good, I'd rather ski Lynx.

Timbuk at Jay... used to like it when I first started skiing Jay but it gets so much traffic... conditions are almost always not great in there unless you hit it first thing after a storm, but there are better lines for a first run on a powder day (like any non-glade trail). I am sure it will be named later but I also find Beaver Pond and Beyond overrated. Nice glades, but a long haul from the lift with a long run out for nothing special as far as I am concerned. For Jay, I would go with Vertigo to Buckaroo.

Casablanca... nice area, I like what they did with it, but I wasn't wow'd by it. For a glade at Saddleback that I really like, it would be Upper Nightmare. Not what you would think would be a favorite of mine: very wide open and mellow pitch. I really like it, it is aesthetically pleasing and very different than either a "glade" or a trail. It actually truly is a "glade" in the actual meaning of the word. Nice.

Doc Dempseys will get a lot of rave reviews but as mentioned above, it is VERY sparse on the trees now. For Smuggs on map, I'd go with Three Mountain Glade. Nice birch glade with great light, kinda out of the way so it doesn't get a lot of traffic either (heck, I usually forget about it). Nice glade, as are all the mid-mountain trees at Smuggs).

Birches at Burke is very nice. I love Birch glades, total sucker for Birch trees and early morning lighting... ahhhh, what a sight.

crank

Me fav is The Burn at Breck. Nicely spaced conifers with a consistent pitch that while not particularly steep is not flat either. Favorites in the east are #1 Everglades at Jay, next is the Cirque at Gore which is more like a mini BC adventure than just a glade, and next is Beaver Pond and Andre's at Jay because I find they often have the best snow on the hill, especially hen the tram is closed and you have to do a little walk from the top of the Bonnie. Never cared for Timbukto. It gets skied out quick and it is bumpier because it seems to get the most skier traffic of all Jay's glades.

Terry

Another vote for Cassablanca at the Back. I have never had a bad run in there even on May 1st 2011.

MarkC

Anywhere?

+1 on north and south burn. Also Tequila Sunrise bowl.

Bumpsis

I'm a big fan of the Brackett Basin at Sugarloaf. I was really impressed with how big it was. At this point, it's my favorite and I have yet to fully explore it.

snoseek

Kinsman Galde at Cannon is just sooo nice when it's filled in.
I don't know the names at Burke but man are they sweet!

Out west the tree skiing at Heavenly is pretty extensive, so much acerage, most people will never touch most of it. I skied there a ton last year and still have so much more to explore.

steamboat1

To many glades I like at many different areas to mention them all so I'll just name a few from my local hill.

Devils Den
Centerpiece
Growler
Stash glades
Stairs
Somewhere
Nowhere
Skyebits
Julio
Anarchy
Big Dipper
Throne
Chop Chop
Low Rider
Patsy's

just to name a few on the map at my local hill.

Last edited:

Puck it

Kinsman for sure, never consider Tramline as a glade. Sustained vert and length can not be beat in New England.

Smellytele

I need to get to Cannon after a storm because is seems every time I am there either Kinsman and tramline are closed or I am alone and don't want to ski them alone for the first time.

4aprice

I need to get to Cannon after a storm because is seems every time I am there either Kinsman and tramline are closed or I am alone and don't want to ski them alone for the first time.

Your not alone ST. I've never gotten to them or a couple of others (ex Slides at Whiteface) when they were open. I would think you have a much better chance then I do of getting there seeing as you live closer. But more to the point, as I get older I get skittish about going down some of these things alone. My wife isn't going to do them. My 16 yr old boy is if I can track him down.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

MadMadWorld

I think Fall Line at MRG could be considered a glade. You could ski that trail all day and each run would be a completely different experience. Can anyone think of a marked glade with tighter trees then some of the sections of Fall Line? I think Partridge is very underrated. People tend to ignore it because the entrance is unmarked. Some of the lines in there are just as hard as Fall Line and Paradise

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Within your parameters, Fall Line is a trail not a glade. There are lots of tree shots branching off from Fall Line but it is decidedly a trail and tree shots off Fall Line really are not part of the trail proper, IMO.