• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

First Snowfalls, Upcoming weather and Storms of winter 2022-2023. Storm snow totals, Observations and Predictions?

MidnightJester

Last edited:

bigbob

I found a totally blacky wooly bear caterpillar in my garage yesterday!

2Planker

I found a totally blacky wooly bear caterpillar in my garage yesterday!
👍 For those that don’t know.
The more Black (less brown) on the Woolly Bear caterpillars in fall means a longer, colder, snowy winter ahead

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Weather patterns tend to flip , It’s been hot and dry so hopefully it flips a bit closer to Winter vs fall.
The weather guy I follow gave up on seasonal forecasting, he only goes out a month or two.
If you live in the East it’s like Lucy pulling the football at the last minute Lol.

Hey but there’s still a chance….maybe we’ll luck out this year!

BodeMiller1

👍 For those that don’t know.
The more Black (less brown) on the Woolly Bear caterpillars in fall means a longer, colder, snowy winter ahead

This is old school; in my world this is known as the albino effect. The darker the color the move heat / light waves are picked up. Thus, the moose should have told you at the front gate. My last puppy was tricolor. It was amazing how much the white and black deafferented in heat, one could feel it.

In other words, wax blue and sharpen often.

From the above article:
  • Woolly bears do not actually feel much like wool—they are covered with short, stiff bristles of hair. This reminds me of my third wife. it not as it appears, and it will turn on you. So, there's that.

This is what they don't tell you.

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

snow in the forecast for peaks in the adks and greens

and the drenching noVT just got surely relieved some drought and snowmaking pond issues.

hows the river flowing in the mrv?

BodeMiller1

Nothing unusual on the top of Mt. Washington. It looks about right to me.

Attachments

• InkedMT Washington_LI.jpg
    InkedMT Washington_LI.jpg
    908.9 KB · Views: 9

MidnightJester

Thanks for the Lincoln peak pic Zand , Here's a Video of first Vermont flakes at Sugarbush :)

Last edited:

MidnightJester

One of the best video explanations of what drives and affects our winters most the time lol

8 weeks or less somewhere in VT there should be riding and Killington will be full throttle readying for the Women's world cup with snow a-plenty :)

Last edited: