• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

For Exercise Equipment owners.....repair?

deadheadskier

Staff member
My rowing machine is farting real loud, on the verge of shitting the bed. It has major issues above my pay grade.....looks to me it requires some welding. No warranty left on the unit, which I paid 400 for new.

Has anyone had any experience with calling in a repair man to fix their home exercise equipment? Was it worth the cost or should I not bother trying to have it serviced?

Pretty much a balancing act here. If someone can come in and will repair so I get another two years out of it for under 150, I'll go for it. Otherwise it goes in the trash and I start new again. The latter would suck as it's only 2.5 years old and has only seen steady use for about half that time.....meaning 3 uses a week for about 25 minutes a use.

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
is it steel or aluminum. if its steel take it to anybody that has an arch welder. better yet go get a small one for like 300. welding is so fun. if it needs to mig/tig might be a little expensive. but either way no more than 100 for a few welds.

drjeff

is it steel or aluminum. if its steel take it to anybody that has an arch welder. better yet go get a small one for like 300. welding is so fun. if it needs to mig/tig might be a little expensive. but either way no more than 100 for a few welds.

JB Weld that sonuvabitch.

What's the worst that could happen??

Nuclear%20Weapons%20and%20Explosions.jpg

;)

Terry

My rowing machine is farting real loud, on the verge of shitting the bed. It has major issues above my pay grade.....looks to me it requires some welding. No warranty left on the unit, which I paid 400 for new.

Has anyone had any experience with calling in a repair man to fix their home exercise equipment? Was it worth the cost or should I not bother trying to have it serviced?

Pretty much a balancing act here. If someone can come in and will repair so I get another two years out of it for under 150, I'll go for it. Otherwise it goes in the trash and I start new again. The latter would suck as it's only 2.5 years old and has only seen steady use for about half that time.....meaning 3 uses a week for about 25 minutes a use.
Are you sure it's not you doing the farting while working out? LOL

deadheadskier

Staff member
Are you sure it's not you doing the farting while working out? LOL

It's a combined effort, but the machine is definitely louder ;)

Actually I was able to take it apart and find that it did not need a weld. I should be good to go for awhile, but I'm not optimistic that this machine will have a long life when used regularly like I have been lately. That's the thing with home exercise equipment. Decent stuff costs a TON of money compared to a Gym membership. I can't stand the Gym though.

As example, I really like the Bowflex dumbbells, but they cost freakin' $400 :eek: for dumbbells!!! Even the Dicks knock of brand was $300....

a Gym quality erg would've cost me over a grand. I wonder what the profit margins are on Gym equipment, gotta be huge.

mlctvt

Keep an eye on Craigs List. I see Concept II rowers on there quite often. I picked one up locally for $200 and I've used it contantly for 8 years with no problems. It is an older "B" model but I don't mind not having the latest model.

deadheadskier

Staff member
so pretty much crazy glue or two part epoxy

got it

um, what's duck tape? I sell ducks for a living, didn't know they made tape out of em' :lol:

mondeo

Someday, I will own a TIG welder. Agreed, so much fun.

But I can only really TIG, not MIG or stick. And I'm sorta a hack at TIG too.

so pretty much crazy glue or two part epoxy

got it

um, what's duck tape? I sell ducks for a living, didn't know they made tape out of em' :lol:

But so much better than two part epoxy!

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I'm pretty good at getting the welding stick stuck.

TIG welding aluminum is pretty tricky, but the guys that know how make it look easy. You have to get it good and clean and etch off the oxide before you can weld it, and you have to keep thegun moving because it has such a high thermal conductivity. Easy to burn.

MIG welding I like. Easier than stick.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Keep an eye on Craigs List. I see Concept II rowers on there quite often. I picked one up locally for $200 and I've used it contantly for 8 years with no problems. It is an older "B" model but I don't mind not having the latest model.

thank you for the one useful response to my thread

I almost missed it amongst the weld happy dorky engineers and doctors whom I have no idea what they're talking about :lol:

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
thank you for the one useful response to my thread

I almost missed it amongst the weld happy dorky engineers and doctors whom I have no idea what they're talking about :lol:

well excuse me. i humbly resemble that remark.

back to a proper hijack. a budy of mine is a deep water welder. that is some crazy stuff. he was telling me how some days it feels like he's hooked up to a 12v battery all day.

this is what i am hopeing to get myself for christmass.

http://www.weldingmart.com/Qstore/p001915.htm

Last edited: