• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Free Internet!

Hawkshot99

So I moved into a apartment last night. First time ever liveing on my own, so that was a big step for me.

When I fired up my laptop to do some work I saw that I had a signal. Gotta love the neibor who has high speed wireless on a unsecured network!!!!!!!!!!!:smile:

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I actually saw a dude parked funny the other day at the end of our street... sitting in the passenger seat using his laptop. :lol:

MommaBear

I actually saw a dude parked funny the other day at the end of our street... sitting in the passenger seat using his laptop. :lol:

With all the break-ins going on these days in CT, lets hope using the internet was ALL he was doing. Over in our corner of the state, someone is keeing track of the comings and goings and hitting homes while the owners are out.

drjeff

One of my neighbors up in VT HAD an unsecured network this past summer. Sadly, they were "snowbirds" who are now back down in Florida for the cold weather months :(

WJenness

There was a guy in my buddy's condo complex at SR who had an unsecured network all last season... Sometime between last Friday and Saturday nights... the free internet access went away :( (which is why I posted in the TR thread on Fri. night but didn't make one for Saturday or Sunday)

-w

hammer

Does anyone have a conscience issue with this?

I've mooched a few times, once at a customer's site (their network had some blocks and I needed to download files from the office), but I don't do so on a regular basis.

I set up a secure network right after I hooked my wireless router up...people trying to mooch wouldn't get a very good signal from the street, but I paid for the bandwidth and I'm not sharing...

WJenness

Does anyone have a conscience issue with this?

I've mooched a few times, once at a customer's site (their network had some blocks and I needed to download files from the office), but I don't do so on a regular basis.

I set up a secure network right after I hooked my wireless router up...people trying to mooch wouldn't get a very good signal from the street, but I paid for the bandwidth and I'm not sharing...

When I mooch I only pull basic web content (forums, gmail), nothing I care about (bank information, etc), and only for short periods of time.

If someone has been kind enough to provide me with wifi (whether intentionally or unintentionally) I don't abuse it (download large files, stream content, etc) as I would consider that to be rude... anything that would interfere with the subscriber's use of the service is over the line for me.

-w

gmcunni

Just for the hell of it, I once took my wireless phone and drove around to see I could find a connection. I did. :)

not to condone or promote theft of service.. but for fun i used to ride around with my laptop in the car* and sniff for wireless networks. shocking how many people leave their networks wide open.

*not that i'd go out just to do this but once in a while on the ride home from work or something like that.

Last edited:

drjeff

Not that it's free(far from it), but today I'm actually going to stop by Verizon and get a wireless card for my laptop, since I'm not very happy with the local cable provider up in Vermont and aside from my AZ weekend fix, I actually need to be able to remotely access my office computer system usually once or twice a weekend for patient info/scheduling info and I can't stand my wife's blackberry when I'm trying to access my office computer system.

Up until the warm weather month neighbors in VT headed South for the cold weather months, it wasn't a problem, but last weekend, I ended up having to take a drive over by the Grand Summit Hotel @ Mount Snow at 11PM where they have free wi-fi to get the info I need for a patient that called who turned out to be trolling for some high horsepower drugs :mad:

FRITOLAYGUY

Down here they have entire towns with unsecured unlimited wireless internet, its pretty near but the speeds are slow.. I wouldnt be using your credit cards over your neighbors unsecured connections however, u ever think theres a reason its like that? Think about it not everybody is as stupid as u think and some will get the last laugh.

drjeff

Posting via my newly picked up Verizon USB727 Modem. Very good signal strength and speed right across the street from Mount Snow :) Also, the Verizon modem actually picked up 3 other UNSECURED networks in the generally area that the factory installed modem on my laptop couldn't :rolleyes: Oh well, the monthly service for the mobil web modem is essentially the same as what the local cable company charges up here, and now I'm good to go most anywhere! :)