• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gas Prices = Apprehension for Next Season?

askstowell

Don't know if I'm alone on this one but I'm starting to get nervous regarding next season and impact gas prices will have on our skiing. Thinking that we might not be making as many trips up north to NH sites and Sunday River in ME which is a shame as 11 year old daughter is really starting to take off skill and ability wise. Alternatively I think local areas near us like Nashoba and Wachusett will be even more jammed (if that's even possible at Wachusett) making for a not-so-fun or safe experience.

Just getting concerned as gas creeps over the $4 per gallon mark as we also get worried too about other budget impacts like what home heating oil is going to cost next winter. Trying to remain positive and focusing on keeping daughter on track for 40 days or so again next season between race days, practice days, and just fun days with dad bumming around somewhere.

Anyone else worried?

wa-loaf

Definitely on my mind. I'm thinking about working at WA next season to save cash on a pass and to have some extra dough for heading up north.

drjeff

Not worried per say .. I will be planning more.. I bet the ski areas are probably becoming more concerned especially if gas gets in the $5 or $6 range.. bookings just might increase because people will want to stay longer and not make multiple trips during the season.. gas prices might figure in to my future season pass purchases..

The other ski area related worry you need to factor in also has to be the cost of diesel, especially if you've got a resort that relies alot on the diesel powered rental air compressors that are used for many air/water snowmaking systems. Sure I'd bet that when your talking about purchasing potential 100's of thousands of gallons that you get a discount over what we see at gas stations, but the bottom line is diesel is way up over last year, so all those cats are more expensive to run, and for those resorts that rely on the diesel powered compressors, well either their snowmaking budgets will be increased substantially to use the compressors the same amount of time as last year, or they'll be making less snow. For example, Mount Snow in their adding of the 150 fan guns th year eliminated their need for the 16 rental air compressors they've used for many, many years. Historically these 16 air compressors consume around 200,000 gallons of diesel per snowmaking season. Eliminate the cost of having to purchase all that extra diesel + not having to rent those 16 air compressors from Late October through early February and I'd say that its a safe bet that they'll more than off set their soon to be increased electric bill from all the extra fan guns, and start paying off the $3.5 odd million capital expenditure that this summer's 150 fan guns cost.

I'm not concerned..higher gas prices are incentive for me to quit wasting time and money at the bars and dining out and setting more money away for ski season. Alot of my ski days are to Blue mountain which is only 18 miles away so it's a maximum of 2 gallons round-trip. I mainly ski in Vermont and New York early and late season..5 trips up north total last season so the impact of higher gas prices should only cost me a few hundred dollars more. But I make one income for just myself. People making 1 or 2 incomes for a family of 4-6 people are going to have it the toughest with the higher gas prices as most of these people drive SUVs..and are already shelling out a small fortune for lift tickets, equipment and food. Plus it's not just higher gas prices..the prices of everything else will rise. For me I'm confident that my ski season will be mad steezy yo..but I think less diehard skiers and those with less disposable income are going to ski less..making the ski areas less crowded and less profitable leading to some more ski resorts joining NELSAP

skiadikt

if it gets a lot more expensive it could be a concern. i might think twice about going on a "marginal" weekend. as someone else mentioned snowmaking & even grooming operations could be greatly impacted. season openings in particular could be effected as areas may be more hesitant to make snow only to watch it run down the hill and it will effect how much snow is blown during the season. in any case, it's not a good thing.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
I'll use the Corolla more and the 4Runner less.

On second thought, nah, things will remain the same. GSS actually makes a good point. Folks bitch about the price of gas yet have no problem spending $50+ in a bar or restaurant in one night.

Geoff

The SUV is parked in the garage and rarely goes skiing. I drive the 30 mpg Volkswagen. My drive is 150 miles each way. A weekend is usually around 13 gallons of gas and I could slow down a little and save a gallon or two.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Anyone who isn't concerned with gas prices and how it might effect their skiing is either ignorant/delusional, has massive amounts of disposable income or lives within 30 miles of their home mountain and even the latter isn't a given. Predictions for Northern New England next winter are that the average cost for heating a home will be FIVE GRAND. If you can absorb that and still maintain a similar lifestyle with your recreational habbits....well good on you....most people won't be able to.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'll use the Corolla more and the 4Runner less.

On second thought, nah, things will remain the same. GSS actually makes a good point. Folks bitch about the price of gas yet have no problem spending $50+ in a bar or restaurant in one night.

Saving $50 by not going to the bar doesn't mean as much as it used to. Two/three years ago home heating costs for a season on average were $2500 (up here at least). Next winter they will be five grand. That's A LOT of beer you'll need to give up at the bar to make up the difference. Has your income appreciated that much to compensate for that sharp of a rise in cost of living in just one area of life, never mind the box of Cheerios in your cupbard? I know my income hasn't doubled to enjoy the same lifestyle I did three years ago. I'm not hurtin' by any means, but I certainly think more frugally in every area of my life.

I hate to get all doom and gloom, but as bad as things are right now, next winter is going to HURT BIG TIME for many people who live in this part of the world, especially the elderly

People can heat their homes to 60 degrees and wear a sweater instead of the normal 68 or 70 degrees. I live in an apartment so my heat is included in the rent..and my rent may go up 20-30 bucks a month. $5k to heat a house in Northern New England seems like alot..is that really the average? People who live in colder climates like Northern New England don't have to drive as far for skiing,

snoseek

Time to stop living in denial. It could be a lot worse. It probably will be a lot worse. 4$ dollars is still cheap gas.

Anyway I think the small local hills will make out good from this. Places like Jay, Saddleback ect... could see a difference with further increases. Like I've said on here before these resorts should really start coming with a plan to survive should gas really go up. I-93 corrider could easily set up a plan to benefit rather than lose.

Last edited:

snoseek

People can heat their homes to 60 degrees and wear a sweater instead of the normal 68 or 70 degrees. I live in an apartment so my heat is included in the rent..and my rent may go up 20-30 bucks a month. $5k to heat a house in Northern New England seems like alot..is that really the average? People who live in colder climates like Northern New England don't have to drive as far for skiing,

That's because so many live in 2000+ sf house. Families have shrunk yet houses have grown. Big cars and big houses in the burbs are worth $hit in the future.

Time to stop living in denial. It could be a lot worse. It probably will be a lot worse. 4$ dollars is still cheap gas.

For sure..for 40 bucks..you can buy 10 gallons of gas and drive 300 miles in a fuel efficient vehicle..that carries 4-5 passengers..not bad..

Seriously..most people on here seem to have 40 inch flat screen TVs, eat really well, take summer vacations in addition to winter vacations and I'm sure make a better than average income.

When I became a skier almost 2 decades ago..one thing was clear. If I wanted to feed my addiction as a skier and take alot of steezy ski trips...I better make as much money as I can. I actually make way less money than alot of college educated people my age but I make sure to set aside a certain amount of money each year for skiing. I would rather put off buying a house and expensive furniture/electronics..and live in a little apartment with a 20 inch TV and have a kick-ass ski season every year. I'm not going to spend 50 bucks for concert tickets or go on trips to Florida and Mexico with non skiers..I'm going to keep putting my money toward skiing. Everyday of my life..I can save a bunch of money and be healthier just skipping the bars and restaurants. Not going to the movies, not going to sporting events, not buying a mountain bike, not buying new golf clubs, or expensive clothes. Why buy a 40 dollar polo shirt when you can buy one for 10 bucks. Why buy a new laptop or blackberry or Iphone..I give up certain things for skiing. If I had a wife and kids..I don't think I could afford to ski out west every season because I'd still be making the same amount of money. So my skiing will put that sort of thing off until I'm in my 30s and make more loot..and I actually make almost double as much as 4 years ago..and have never held any debt but I'm an anomoly..alot of guys and gals my age owe massive student loans..and have mortgages and diaper bills.

RISkier

Price of fuel oil is scary. I didn't precisely calculate how much I spent on Fuel Oil last year (I should do that) but somewhere between $4k - $5k. And we don't have an especially large house, we burn lots of wood in a wood stove, and we keep the thermostats set fairly low. I'd expect the cost of fuel oil for next winter will increase by at least 50%, probably more. I think we're already seeing lots of people change their behaviors in terms of travel. We've been doing at least one ski trip either out West or to Europe. Current exchange rates make Europe way more costly than it was just a couple of years ago. And depending on airline ticket prices we may give that a skip this coming season. We'd likely spend that week skiing in the East. And oil and gas prices will impact almost all of the things we buy. Anyone on a fixed income with little discretionary money will have to change their spending habits. I definately think it's going to impact the industry.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Anyone who isn't concerned with gas prices and how it might effect their skiing is either ignorant/delusional, has massive amounts of disposable income or lives within 30 miles of their home mountain and even the latter isn't a given. Predictions for Northern New England next winter are that the average cost for heating a home will be FIVE GRAND. If you can absorb that and still maintain a similar lifestyle with your recreational habbits....well good on you....most people won't be able to.
That is a tad excessive. Ignorant or delusional? Wow. No need for ad hominem attacks to support your view point. I do not have massive amounts of income and my home mountain is 240 miles round trip. But I am not overly concerned with $4 gas no more than I was at $3 gas. I still drive my 35-40 MPG fuel efficient non-hybrid vehicle. My total gas costs for a ski season may add up to $1000 next year (this year it will be just under $800) but it is part of the cost of skiing. I don't do a lot of other things so I can ski. Gas becomes too expensive to me when it is cheaper to spend the night rather than do a back to back day trip which will be the case at $6 per gallon gas when I will become concerned. Five grand seems kind of high for a home heating cost estimate. We have an 1800+ square foot home and will probably spend about $1500 for heating this winter assuming a 20-25% increase.

I think the average skier will probably be able to take this year's increase in stride. Not saying a lot of folks won't be effected, there will be plenty of folks feeling the pinch at the pump and making changes. But I think most folks won't make too many adjustments. Long term, I think in a few years we could see some massive changes. Their are opportunities and challenges for ski areas in this environment and I suspect the smaller areas further away from metro areas will feel the pain the worst.

Greg

Staff member
That's because so many live in 2000+ sf house. Families have shrunk yet houses have grown. Big cars and big houses in the burbs are worth $hit in the future.

But you gotta shed a tear for the 2000+ square foot house owners? :roll:

Uhm....what is wrong with a 2k+ square foot house? :blink: