• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

goggles cause cancer???

Smellytele

Was looking for Goggles for my son and one website had this on all there goggles...
Proposition 65 Warning for California Consumers: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and/or birth defects or other reproductive harm.

???

cdskier

Christmas lights say the same thing. That California law is a bit extreme. Even Aspirin is on the list of chemicals required to have that warning...

cdskier

The list is up to almost 1000 different items that require that warning. The warning is realistically pretty pointless as often times you don't know specifically what chemical is in the item with the warning. Chances are if it is a common item (like goggles) with the warning, then the amount of whatever chemical it is that you'd need to actually be exposed to in order to have a problem is unlikely to happen. For example I think it was Coke used to use a food coloring that was on the Prop 65 list. The amount of that food coloring that you would have had to have ingested to equal the level that caused cancer in rats in a lab would equate to hundreds of cans of soda a day.

http://oehha.ca.gov/proposition-65/proposition-65-list

LONGBOARDR

Was looking for Goggles for my son and one website had this on all there goggles...
Proposition 65 Warning for California Consumers: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and/or birth defects or other reproductive harm.

???

Most likely is due to a class of chemicals called Phthalates
They are used as additives at/or less than 1 % to soften and increase the flexibility of plastics.
makes sense since goggle plastic needs to be so flexible, hope this helps.
Just don't make junior eat them LOL

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
65270182.jpg

58426116.jpg

15w426.jpg

abc

It's weird how so many things cause cancer in California but not everywhere else.

Most likely is due to a class of chemicals called Phthalates
They are used as additives at/or less than 1 % to soften and increase the flexibility of plastics.
makes sense since goggle plastic needs to be so flexible, hope this helps.
So in Califonia, they tell you.

In other places, they don't

Jully

It's weird how so many things cause cancer in California but not everywhere else.

I believe California is mostly listening to the World Health Organization's carcinogen designations. They have their own bodies to "determine" if a chemical poses risk, but all they do is review studies already out there. Most of their listed chemicals are also designated by the WHO.