• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

good boot fitter/shop near Killington or Sugarbush

keyser soze

I've never gone into a shop and bought a pair of boots and had them fitted and I think it's time I invested in a good set of boots that fits me well. Previous boots were just purchased off the shelf and I bought my current boots from someone selling in a gear swap forum, and while they were unused they were older boots and were not really right for me. I went to Heinos in NJ and Grreg did a great job making them work, but they are still not ideal and I'm due for a new pair.

I go to both Killington and Sugarbush most weekends, so looking for recos for a shop with good prices and a good boot fitter. Any ideas??

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I've had good experiences with Northern. I will say...in ski country it'd be tough to find a "bad" bootfitter. It's "good" "really good" and "best".

Pick one you drive by frequently as it'll take a couple of trips to get the boots dialed in (at least).

cdskier

I know a lot of people around Sugarbush are big fans of Alpine Options for boot fitting. I went to Mountainside in Sugarbush village several years ago and have been very happy with the job they did as well.

Geoff

I've been using the basin in K for nearly 2 decades and have been quite happy with the service.
Yep. The Basin Ski Shop has the most experienced boot fitters at Killington. Ray Garret who manages the boot department has been there since Jim Kinney owned the business in the late 1980s. Tim Kevin has been there for 20+ years. They’re really competent.

KustyTheKlown

another +1 for the basin. set my girlfriend up great after lots of complaining about prior seasonal rentals. they've done some tweaks for me but not a full fitting - they bagned out my shell where i was getting some nasty rubbing on a weird knob on my ankle

alpine options has never done any bootwork for me but are my go to for general ski shop needs in sugarbush

HowieT2

Alpine options guy here. My boots, wife, kids and many friends.
Call ahead and give yourself an hour or so.

teleo

Mountainside and alpine options at sugarbush have both been great for us. Reservations at mountainside this year too.

abc

Pick one you drive by frequently as it'll take a couple of trips to get the boots dialed in (at least).
And ask for the names recommended here. Even boot fitters in a good shop can have different level of experience.

I had good luck with Basin. But I had to ask for a change of fitter in one occasion.

mister moose

Yep. The Basin Ski Shop has the most experienced boot fitters at Killington. Ray Garret who manages the boot department has been there since Jim Kinney owned the business in the late 1980s. Tim Kevin has been there for 20+ years. They’re really competent.
Ray left last year and as far as I know he isn't back, something COVID related. Steve did my new boots last year and while new to the Basin he has a lot of experience. Tim is still there. Northern gets lots of recommendations as well.

jaybird

Ray Garrett remains at Alpine Options this season..by appointment only. He's great. The K shop bootfitter lineup is incomplete without a mention of Hal at Northern. He's great as well. YMMV.
Go small and deal with the break in.

keyser soze

I went to Alpine Options Saturday and worked with Ray. Boots were ready Sunday morning and what a difference compared to the heavy frankenstein boots i had. We skied about 5 hours yesterday and i had no pain or sore spots. I'll use them a couple of more days and then bring them in for a tweaking if necessary. Thanks for the recos.

Quietman

I went to Alpine Options Saturday and worked with Ray. Boots were ready Sunday morning and what a difference compared to the heavy frankenstein boots i had. We skied about 5 hours yesterday and i had no pain or sore spots. I'll use them a couple of more days and then bring them in for a tweaking if necessary. Thanks for the recos.
Curious, which boots did you end up with?