• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Good burritos that Marc made last night - recipe, more or less

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I was in the mood for some veggie protein last night so I decided to make something up (I do this often). I don't know why I just find creating my own dishes is a more relaxing way to cook. I hate looking back and forth at a recipe card.

The only problem is I never write anything I make down, so unless I really like it and make it regularly, I have no idea what I've created in the past. Soooo anyway, here's some burrito (I guess that's what you'd call them) magic for you:

Ingredients-

• 1 can of sweet corn (whole kernels)
  • 1 can of black turtle beans
  • 1 can of refried beans
  • 1 medium yellow onion
  • 5 - 6 button mushrooms
  • ~2 tbsp cornstarch
  • Seasonings - paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, dried cilantro, salt, black pepper
  • Flour tortillas
  • Shredded cheddar cheese (the sharper, the better)
  • Cooking oil (I always use extra virgin olive oil)

Begin by heating oil (a couple tablespoons) in a large non stick frying pan over medium heat. Cutt the stem and root ball ends off the onion. Place onion on one of its flat sides and cut in half. Peel the skin off, and cut onion such that you wind up with half rings. Put the onion in the pan and stir coat with oil. The onion should sweat and lightly caramelize. Season with salt and pepper (fresh ground please!).

Wash the mushrooms and then cut to bit size (I like quartering because it's easier than slicing). Throw em in the pan (gently). Add the other seasonings... very liberally. Especially the paprika and garlic powder. Should be enough to coat everything to change the color a fair amount.

In a separate sauce pan, heat the refried beans over low heat (or however else you prefer to accomplish this).

Open the black beans and dump into the onions and mushrooms, can juice and all. Open the corn and drain off the watter and add into the frying pan as well. Stir everything together and heat through (about 5 minutes). If the liquid in the pan is running... add cornstarch to thicken. I probably used two level tablespoons (didn't actually measure, like everything else).

Heat tortillas.... spoon one some of the corn/bean mixture and a healthy dollop of refriend beans. Sprinkle with room temperature shredded cheese and enjoy!

Should be enough to make about 8 folded burritos, depending on how much you stuff your burrito.

Nice thing about corn and beans is they have complimentary amino acid profiles so the dish, though meatless, gives you a healthy amount of complete protein as well as lots of starches and soluble fiber.

Taste wise, it's quite hearty, a good cold weather dish. Black beans and mushrooms share a nice earthy taste, and the sweetness from the corn, onion sugars and paprika balances things nicely. I found I didn't need too much salt, as most refried beans are overloaded with it.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Do you have a warning hanging on your office doors about possible odor one might encounter by entering?

I think I got it all out in the night. I had to sleep with the door open for fear of the build up of an explosive atmosphere.

Actually, canned beans are ok... it's the improperly cooked dried beans that will make you gassy. You just have to soak dry beans before you cook them to dissolve the starches that give most people that unpleasant side effect. Canned beans are already well soaked since they're precooked and packed in water.

my favorite burritos have no beans...but I like rice in Burritos..

The best would be..steak, rice, salsa, guacamole..and maybe those little tortilla strip things for some crunch..

bvibert

Staff member
Mmmm, I could go for a good burrito. It would go good with the chili I had last night and at lunch today. I wouldn't want to be my wife tonight.... :lol:

wa-loaf

Open the black beans and dump into the onions and mushrooms, can juice and all..

Actually, canned beans are ok... it's the improperly cooked dried beans that will make you gassy. You just have to soak dry beans before you cook them to dissolve the starches that give most people that unpleasant side effect. Canned beans are already well soaked since they're precooked and packed in water.

Actually you want to drain and rinse the canned beans, because that water in the can has all those starches that seeped out of the beans.

That said I had a burrito for lunch from the local place, but it's only ok and pricey. Right outside the building though so it's hard to pass up.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Actually you want to drain and rinse the canned beans, because that water in the can has all those starches that seeped out of the beans.

That said I had a burrito for lunch from the local place, but it's only ok and pricey. Right outside the building though so it's hard to pass up.

Wouldn't that depend on whether they're precooked or not? Most canned beans are. Either way, my GI tract was fine from that method of prep.

My recipe cost me a grand total of about five bucks and I should get three meals out of it.

ctenidae

beano1.jpg

drjeff

I'm sensing that this thread is very quickly going to add about 4 or 5 pages now ;) :spin: ;)