• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Granite Gorge: Mar. 13, 2015 - Fri.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Mar. 13, 2015 - Fri.: Granite Gorge
The last time I skied at "Granite Gorge" was Superbowl Sunday, 1976. It was operating as Pinnacle Mt. One of the trails in the re-constituted area recognizes that piece of history and is in fact called Pinnacle.

If I were to compare Granite Gorge size-wise and feel-wise, I think Whaleback is about the closest comparison. Pretty much everything about Granite Gorge felt low-key and I really liked that.

They claim to be 525 vertical. I had to compare what it might have skied like under reasonable conditions. I went down Evan's Glade which looked like it would have been fun before the Tuesday-thaw/Wednesday-refreeze. I went down an ungroomed thing called Headwall that would have been a nice mogul run had conditions been better.

The Upper Lift Line was rated Double Diamond. It hadn't been cleared and had a lot of small saplings on it as well as some large stumps. In its condition today, it clearly deserved its Double Diamond rating. There was no "closed" sign or rope on it, but I declined to try it. I suspect it would be a solid black diamond with adequate snow and some tree work - and maybe even a double diamond if it mogulled up.

There were a number of lovely Blue Squares that were well groomed and made for some good cruising. Size-wise, it felt like about the size of Crotched's Valley Chair. But in terms of shape, it felt like Pat's Peak without the runout at the bottom.

Snowmaking was limited to the area to the left of the chairlift (looking up), but the equipment that they had looked like a reasonable collection of Areco fan guns.

Signage was good with every trail and intersection clearly marked.

I had a nice time there. I see Granite Gorge as a wonderful local feeder hill.

xwhaler

Nice report. When u say "shape" is comparable to Pats do u mean in terms of pitch? Id like to try GG someday and any comparison to Whaleback is a good one in my book.

Savemeasammy

Funny... I've driven by countless times and have never felt compelled to ski there. After reading the AZ challenge, I'm curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Nice report.

I'd like to try it sometime. I'd also like to meet the owner Fred. His responses to the Ski Area Challenge were quite colorful to say the least.

http://www.alpinezone.com/skiing/challenge/challenge2011/granite-gorge-keene-nh/

He would probably scoff at you comparing GG to Whaleback. It's more Stowe or MRG ;)

I didn't meet Fred, but it doesn't surprise me that he believes in what he is doing. After all, he has a considerable investment in the place, so if he doesn't believe, who will? (That was a nice piece on AZ Challenge.)

My comparison with Whaleback is just a bit generous, since Whaleback has about 20% more vertical. Both have a "medium size mountain feel" as contrasted with "the small feel" of Nashoba Valley, Living Memorial or McIntyre.

I did meet and ski a few runs with Dianne Warhall (sorry if I botched the spelling) who is Snowsports Director and a bunch of other things. Fred is lucky to have a person of such diversity of talent who is so committed to the ski area.

elks

Granite Gorge is definitely a fun little hill with friendly folks running the place. The Whaleback comparison is spot on. We drive from MA to Granite Gorge every week for my kids's ski lessons. They have a nice little program at a fraction of the costs found at Nashoba or Wachusett and the lack of crowds, ease of parking, and the $25 parent ticket certainly make it worth the extra little drive time.

The trails are diverse and they don't over-groom trails. The upper liftline trail has somewhat been abandoned from what I can tell. They don't blow snow on it and, for the past 4 years, this is the only year where they received almost enough snow to make it skiable, but, alas, they haven't kept it up so it's filled with saplings and shrubs.

Nonetheless, conditions have been really great at Granite this year with most glades skiable and a fun narrow bumped run (Headwall) to entertain us.

elks

FYI. Yesterday was the last day of the Granite season with pond skimming, live band, and a big pig roast. Surprised they didn't go another week. Snow coverage still good if anyone is looking for a hike.