• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Granite Gorge, NH - Ski School and Mountain...

elks

I'm thinking of signing up one of my kids for some lessons at Granite Gorge this season rather than bringing him to Nashoba Valley. Mainly because I can get a cheap accompanying parent ticket and get some skiing in while he takes his lesson and then ski with him after his lesson. I just can't bring myself to paying over $46 for a half day ticket at Nashoba in order to be able to ski with him. Plus it seems fun to get him into the ski trip mood from an early age...

Anyone have any experiences to share about the mountain and/or ski school program? Is it similar to Whaleback in size?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Pat's would be closer and Ragged or Gunstock not much further. Are you targeting Granite Gorge just based on price? I have never been to GG but Ragged or Gunstock would offer you better skiing for sure and it seems like that is part of what you are looking for.

Angus

that's a really long drive if you live in concord. Never been but I don't think it offers much more vertical than nashoba and definitely not the # of trails. maybe check out ward hill but I don't think that has much vertical either.

elks

Pat's would be closer and Ragged or Gunstock not much further. Are you targeting Granite Gorge just based on price? I have never been to GG but Ragged or Gunstock would offer you better skiing for sure and it seems like that is part of what you are looking for.

Price and availability both factors. Thanks for the suggestions.

xwhaler

I've personally never skied GG but I hear it skis like a smaller version of Whaleback. That is to say consistent T2B vertical...unlike Pats which is steep and then has the runout.
I do hear the liftline trail is pretty steep. GG Vert is listed at 525, whaleback 700', pats 710, nashoba 240.
Having skied all of these besides GG my opinion is Whaleback 'skis larger' and is the best combo of low crowds and value based on what you are looking for.
Course it is also the longest drive.

bobbutts

I have driven by GG several times and it definately looks steeper than other similar sized hills. I think there is no good way to get there from Concord MA, so that makes it kind of a pain. Google says it's 1.5 hr.
Check out McIntyre in Manchester NH or Bradford in Haverhill MA if you're looking for a smaller/cheaper Nashoba-like place.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
If he doesn't want to do Nashoba, Bradford isn't going to be any better and McIntyre is going to be worse in terms of decent skiing worth his buying a ticket.

JFP

GG is everything you could ask for in a local/community ski hill near Keene- decent terrain, night skiing for after school/work, a good environment for learning/training, a heavy focus programs for kids & school groups, including a fledging racing club/program (that my kids have evolved into participating in). I live 5 minutes away from GG so obviously it's very convenient; I am a GG supporter but think it likely something equitable could be found closer to Concord?

bobbutts

If he doesn't want to do Nashoba, Bradford isn't going to be any better and McIntyre is going to be worse in terms of decent skiing worth his buying a ticket.
Yeah, my reading comprehension FTL
So I'll change that to Wawa, Crotched, Pat's, Gunstock, Berkshire East.

bheemsoth

GG is everything you could ask for in a local/community ski hill near Keene- decent terrain, night skiing for after school/work, a good environment for learning/training, a heavy focus programs for kids & school groups, including a fledging racing club/program (that my kids have evolved into participating in). I live 5 minutes away from GG so obviously it's very convenient; I am a GG supporter but think it likely something equitable could be found closer to Concord?

JFP,

Whereabouts are you? My family has a cabin in Sullivan and we're up there often. I haven't been to Granite Gorge since it reopened, but it's on the list fir this year.

Edit: Pat's is a nice little hill and much closer to Concord.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

JFP

JFP,

Whereabouts are you? My family has a cabin in Sullivan and we're up there often. I haven't been to Granite Gorge since it reopened, but it's on the list fir this year.

Edit: Pat's is a nice little hill and much closer to Concord.

Sent from Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

Nice; the person inquiring was traveling from Concord, MA not NH (I believe).. pretty far out. I live in Keene. Mostly ski so. VT but began to go to GG as my kids started to do programs there.. I only started routinely skiing there last year (after living here for 8 years, sad I know) which wasn't the best year conditions wise.. the terrain was limited but is decent and look forward to skiing there in all it's powdery glory eventually this season (please). The chair works, generally uncrowded, kids programs are good, worthwhile if you're close.