• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Great skiing, Cold day at Sunday River 2013-01-02

uphillklimber

Had a day off so I grabbed the skis and off I went for first chair. On the way, the radio said this is the first cold day of the winter. Didn't sink in until I started working my way from Barker lodge over to Jordan Bowl. I got as far as Aurora and thought, gee, maybe some more clothing would be a good thing. It was cold and Jordan is always the coldest and windiest part of the mountain. I turned around and got more clothing on.

I got over to Jordan and was riding the lift up and the bump line below me was looking real sweet and soft. I have never skied this line before and was contemplating it, until I got to the top and there was more bare rock exposed than I wanted to subject my skis to. Thing is, it would have probably been the warmest run of the day as the trees lock out the wind pretty good. Oh well, I took a run down Excalibur, and realized I still didn't have enough clothing on, or wasn't hardened up for the real cold yet, and the wind was holding me back, so I only did one run in Jordan before heading out. They have some nice long cruisers there. As I headed back to warmer areas of the mountain, it nearly broke my heart to bypass all the great terrain they had, just because I was cold.

I gotta tell you, the River has a lot of terrain open, and next non windy day, I'll be out doing a much more thorough investigation of the terrain. I only put in about 10 runs and called it to take care of other business. I can still envision all the great coverage and snow just calling my name....