• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Great video about the old Action Park at Vernon Valley/Great Gorge Ski Area

tnt

I just googled "alpine slide crash". Amazingly, there seems to be quite a few Alpine Slides still in operation....

Cornhead

Jaytrem told me stories of "Class Action Park", "Traction Park", last year.

loop-slide.jpg
What could possibly go wrong riding this?

tnt

Yeah, after someone got stuck in it they decided to put an escape hatch in it!

Too funny.

jaysunn

I just asked my co worker if he remembers this place, he said he went to the first aid area twice. This place was nuts.

4aprice

Death Park. That place was crazy. They had an incident at the new version park this summer where they were getting sued I heard about. As far as summer presence Camelback's, Camelbeach and adventure park (that goes spring, summer and fall) is a pretty big hit and money maker for the mountain. I was up there helping relocate a finish shack for the race team and they were packing them in to the place.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
One of the comments after below the vid:

You guys realize this place still exists, right? It's just called Mountain Creek now. Yes, the ski/snowboard place.
I went last summer. Tarzan swing is still there, as is the cliff jump. New alpine coaster as of this year. And still barely any supervision. It's awesome.

The tarzan swing looked pretty tame to me. We had our own at a reservoir in Cheshire CT near where I grew up. I was a long rope in a tree with a stick tied at the end. A friend of mine regularly did back flips off it. I never managed that but would launch myself forward so my feet were aimed up at the horizon and then just roll into a dive. I was pretty athletic in those days. Pretty sure I'd belly flop today.

Last edited:

mbedle

The worst thing about this place was the water for some of the rides was spring feed at about 55 - 60 degrees. I remember jumping off the tarzan swing and the shock of hitting the water was pretty bad. One other thing that always sucked was the smell from the swamps down near the race track. No matter what, it was always a good time and a lot of fun.

twinplanx

What an awesome thread/video!! I remember they had the sickest white water raft ride, with multiple routes and other rafts would pass you if you got hung up. Blissful mayhem :) I also remember the ice cold spring water :) The looping water slide may have been a little over the top, but IMHO lawyers/litigation ruined this place. Nothing else will even come close :(

ScottySkis

Damn lawyers ruining the fun for everyone. place looked awesome

It was they had mini NASCAR racing that you could go really fast, my dad meet his ex GF she get me skiing for free Ll time, just color of tickets changed 7 days aweek.
She worked in security their.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The worst thing about this place was the water for some of the rides was spring feed at about 55 - 60 degrees. I remember jumping off the tarzan swing and the shock of hitting the water was pretty bad. One other thing that always sucked was the smell from the swamps down near the race track. No matter what, it was always a good time and a lot of fun.

water was so cold it could kill you apparently.

wikipedia said:
  • In 1984, a fatal heart attack suffered by one visitor was unofficially believed to have been triggered by the shock of the cold water in the pool beneath the Tarzan Swing. The water on the ride and in that swimming area was 50-60 °F (10-16 °C) while other water areas were in the 70-80 °F (21-27 °C) range more typical of swimming pools. The Tarzan swing and the cannon ball ride in this area were operated by spring water.[SUP][15]
  • [/SUP]

4aprice

The go carts were the best. They went like 45 mph. Some people figured out how to override the governor and make them go faster, major accidents. Go read the comments on NJ.com, they had me almost in tears laughing. It was a wild place.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

The go carts were the best. They went like 45 mph. Some people figured out how to override the governor and make them go faster, major accidents. Go read the comments on NJ.com, they had me almost in tears laughing. It was a wild place.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

this^^^

easily the sickest go-karts ever and many had the restrictor plates removed