• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Grrrr gas is going up again

FRITOLAYGUY

If something sounds too good to be true it usually is. It was 1.49 last week now 1.68 down here and they are saying 3.00 by march wtf???

ctenidae

HEard an interesting theory that sounds plausible but I haven't checked out:

It's all China's fault- prior to the Olympics they started stockpiling fuels to make absolutely sure they didn't have any hiccups, creating a large demand-driven shortage. Then, after the Olympics, they dodn't need it anymore, and actually became a net exporter of some distillates for a while, creating a supply-driven glut.

The timing is plausible, but the amounts required seem large- I have to look into it.

$3 is what is should be..for right now this is a great bonus and the gas stations around me have been the same price for the last few weeks,..

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'd rather see it stay low, have other economic indicators improve that get people spending money again. The less people spend at the pumps, the more disposable income they have to spend on other items. The average citizen would have to see their wages rise quite a bit to off set what they are now saving at $1.65 versus $3+.

snoseek

We should be paying much much more for gas and I'm absolutely positive we will in the future. There has been plenty of time to adjust the vehicle. In the long run low gas prices will supress our economy in more ways than one imo. Yes I am hoping for 5+ $$$ a gallon gas-maybe not in six months though.

snoseek

I'd rather see it stay low, have other economic indicators improve that get people spending money again. The less people spend at the pumps, the more disposable income they have to spend on other items. The average citizen would have to see their wages rise quite a bit to off set what they are now saving at $1.65 versus $3+.

Yeah but the average self-entitled American needs to be saved from themselves.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I don't get it either....and just read a Yahoo! Article that was touting this price increase as a positive thing :blink: Not sure how.....

The price increase is because of our friends at OPEC and because of two factions who just can't seem to stop fighting with each other. Nothing more can be said because it would get too political.

Hawkshot99

Yes I am hoping for 5+ $$$ a gallon gas-maybe not in six months though.

I am so glad that you feel this way. Not every body is able to drive around in a small car that gets 30+ mpg. In the non winter months I go through 50+ gallons a week running my lawn business. Their is a slight difference between $1.70 and $5 when you are buying that much. The difference between the two is $185 a week. Customers get pissed off at me, when I raise prices.
Honda civics do not make a very good tow vehicle. I NEED a truck, and well trucks like gas, and so do all of my mowers.

To save money, I may not be able to hire help. Sure it is more work for me, but then I pocket what he would have been making. Now their is somebody who is not making any money.

snoseek

I don't get it either....and just read a Yahoo! Article that was touting this price increase as a positive thing :blink: Not sure how.....

The price increase is because of our friends at OPEC and because of two factions who just can't seem to stop fighting with each other. Nothing more can be said because it would get too political.

Nothing will get accomplished with prices below 3 dollars. The quickest way to get off Foreign oil is really expensive prices followed by the market filling the newly created demand for cheaper energy. Look at how much it was talked about last year-it all seems like a distant memory now.

I say tax the hell out of it-never let it below a certain pre-determined number. Use increased revenue for future technology.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Or they can go out to eat 2-3 times less per month and have the same off set (for the average driver).

Hawkshot99

Nothing will get accomplished with prices below 3 dollars. The quickest way to get off Foreign oil is really expensive prices followed by the market filling the newly created demand for cheaper energy. Look at how much it was talked about last year-it all seems like a distant memory now.

I say tax the hell out of it-never let it below a certain pre-determined number. Use increased revenue for future technology.

Any time the companies try to get off of foreign oil it is blocked by all of the groups with their own agendas. Cant drill offshore, its too ugly, anywhere they try and drill they are told that it is a problem.

snoseek

I am so glad that you feel this way. Not every body is able to drive around in a small car that gets 30+ mpg. In the non winter months I go through 50+ gallons a week running my lawn business. Their is a slight difference between $1.70 and $5 when you are buying that much. The difference between the two is $185 a week. Customers get pissed off at me, when I raise prices.
Honda civics do not make a very good tow vehicle. I NEED a truck, and well trucks like gas, and so do all of my mowers.

To save money, I may not be able to hire help. Sure it is more work for me, but then I pocket what he would have been making. Now their is somebody who is not making any money.

Nothing is free-there is always going to be some short-term sacrifices. Your prices will need to reflect to survive, people will whine I'm sure.

fwiw-I don't like the dramatic spikes and drops, the pysological aspect of high oil may be more damaging than high oil itself. Slow steady increase would be nice.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Or they can go out to eat 2-3 times less per month and have the same off set (for the average driver).

and you get a couple hundred people with that mindset and a restaurant fails and people are out of jobs. Besides even as gas prices have plummeted, there has been zero uptick in restaurant spending; NYC the dining mecca of the country is down about 20%; same around here, though not quite as bad.

Do I think we should get off our dependence on foreign oil? absolutely Do I think alternative fuels will result in new jobs and improve the economy? absolutely Am I rooting for higher gas prices right now as I've watched many friends and family members lose their jobs in the past year and can use all the disposable income they can get to cover basic needs separate of luxuries like dining out ect? HELL NO

snoseek

and you get a couple hundred people with that mindset and a restaurant fails and people are out of jobs. Besides even as gas prices have plummeted, there has been zero uptick in restaurant spending; NYC the dining mecca of the country is down about 20%; same around here, though not quite as bad.

Do I think we should get off our dependence on foreign oil? absolutely Do I think alternative fuels will result in new jobs and improve the economy? absolutely Am I rooting for higher gas prices right now as I've watched many friends and family members lose their jobs in the past year and can use all the disposable income they can get to cover basic needs separate of luxuries like dining out ect? HELL NO

Lets face it-dining out in this country has become kind of silly. I would be o.k. with a slowdown in this industry-this directly effects me. It would weed things out.

Deadhead your friends and family, I completely feel for them, really I do. I also know people that are struggling-myself included. I ask you to think about the potential long-term consequences of energy, it could make this recession seem like childs play. I could very well be wrong but really hate the idea of gambling for small gains now only to be in deep depression 30 years from now. Not exactly what you had in mind for your kids right? I feel overall alot of folks in America have a real hard time with the idea of personal sacrifice.

davidhowland14

Website
www.frigidlight.com
I filled up my jeep for 35 dollars last week and almost a month ago is was 65 dollars I might sell if the prices get that crazy again!

how much? :p

I think we're going to fall into a cycle of meteoric rise, followed by drop, followed by rise. When gas levels out at $3 or so, we're all gonna be saying "phew, cheap" compared to the 4.50+ we paid this summer. Then, when it goes back up to $5+, we'll complain. whereupon it'll drop to $3.50 or so...and so on and so on.

ride a bike.

mondeo

It's cyclic every year, highest at end of summer, lowest right about now. I doubt we'll see the same levels as last summer next summer, due to lower global demand and a strengthened dollar (well, weakened Euro,) but I'll probably see over $4.25/gallon for premium again. Oil was over sold; once it hit $45 I was tempted to buy, and very tempted below $40, but right now I'm feeling pretty good about buying into AMD at $2.03/share.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Lets face it-dining out in this country has become kind of silly. I would be o.k. with a slowdown in this industry-this directly effects me. It would weed things out.

Deadhead your friends and family, I completely feel for them, really I do. I also know people that are struggling-myself included. I ask you to think about the potential long-term consequences of energy, it could make this recession seem like childs play. I could very well be wrong but really hate the idea of gambling for small gains now only to be in deep depression 30 years from now. Not exactly what you had in mind for your kids right? I feel overall alot of folks in America have a real hard time with the idea of personal sacrifice.

I understand what you're saying, but getting rid of dependence on foreign oil and moving into cleaner technologies the way the earth moves so quick these days will most likely be an obsolete economic benefit 30 years from now. Again, I'm not against it and though I think it's smart for the economy, the primary reason I'm for it is for environmental reasons. The global economy is so far intertwined that by the time we get off foreign oil, whatever technology we have developed will be bought sold and re-produced at a far cheaper price half way around the globe just like the Nike's on your feet.

Whether we're off foreign oil or not 30's years from now will have very little to do with whether or not we find ourselves in a deep depression. The only thing that will result in that is a massive deterioration of our education system. You want people to sacrifice the next five to ten years on $5 gas and $4 heating fuel to spur on the next best thing? You better also plan on having the social programs and tax credits in place that the bottom 50% earning bracket can still get by on normal work weeks, so they can spend enough time guiding their kids down the right education track as well because let's face it, the reason why the US has been the number 1 economy in the world for as long as it has is because of it's universities.

Don't also forget that 5% of the nation owns 95% of the wealth and the $5 a gallon fill up means nothing to them. $10 still doesn't mean much. I don't know the answer, but I don't think $10 gasoline is the stimulus needed to get the money that already exists in that 95% of our nation's wealth invested fast enough into alternative fuels. The money is there and I think the common man sacrifices enough as it is.

deadheadskier

Staff member

and this I disagree with to an extent as well. I think people should go out more and celebrate with good food and drink. I would like to see the bad restaurants weeded out, but not due to lack of diners and people spending money. I'd like to see the bad restaurants go away because there are better restaurants out there producing healthier foods for their diners. The world needs to celebrate more and great restaurants and nightlife provide a great avenue for it.