• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Handrawn/Fantasy Trail Maps

As I was reading through the "Worst Trail Map" thread, I got reminded of the many spiral notebooks of fantasy trailmaps I drew as a kid. Some were totally incomprehensible, with classic features such as a Double Diamond trail running alongside a Green Circle, and others weren't half bad. Typically I liked to draw trailmaps of where my friends and I would go sledding in the winter, from Mikey B's backyard to Lars Anderson Park (Prime sledding territory). Somehow I managed to concoct a ~150 trail Mountain of the sledding routes in the vicinity of the backyard at the house my family had at Sunapee, which I'll try to post, if I can find it.

The maps may not be the best, but the effort I put into it makes me laugh; the map had to be PERFECT in order to capture the "feel" of the "mountain":lol:. I would always do the first draft in pencil in order to make any expansions and revisions to the map, and then fill in each trail in pen with the corresponding color and rating. The hardest part was finding room to label the trails, and I never really mastered the correct technique of making glades.

I thought I was totally alone in doing this, but apparently many others here have done so. Who else did this/still does, and is possibly willing to share a few? Sometimes its fun to look at maps that are outside of the Niehues standard:lol::lol: I'll try and post a few of mine.

Last edited:

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Who didn't draw trail maps as a kid? I'm pretty sure most of mine got thrown out but I did find one that I've kept through the years. I keep it on my wall in my bedroom with the other ski memorabilia I've collected.

Savemeasammy

One of my kids does this, although lately he has been drawing mt bike trail maps.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Mapnut

There's a folder at Skimap.org called "Fantasyland" https://skimap.org/Regions/view/508 with lots of maps, mostly hand-drawn. I can't say much for the quality.

Needless to say, I do these, usually on USGS topo maps. We did a lot of them on the old Snowjournal in threads called "Design Challenges". Someone would nominate a mountain, mostly in New England, and we'd all draw up plans and post them. Unfortunately they're no longer available. I have an insanely thick paper file of these, but nothing I can post at the moment.