• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Help me test our new forum software! Feedback Requested!

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Hi all,

I'm planning on cutting over to our new forum software in the next few days but want to check if there is anything fundamentally borked. I can fix some things here or there later, but I'd love some feedback and anything missing that you are using today.

Click here --> https://testforum.alpinezone.com/

Any posts you make on the test site WILL BE DELETED as it's just a test site. The forum here is still primary, until we cutover to it. That cutover will take about 12 - 15 hours when we actually migrate to the new forum, and i'm hoping to do it tomorrow or maybe early next week.

Please also check on your mobile phone for usability.

Dickc

I note if you use the navigation at the bottom of the test forum screen, it will jump you over to the “live” skiing forum without notice!

cdskier

Trying to attach an image to a post gave me an error...but otherwise it looks quite nice.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I note if you use the navigation at the bottom of the test forum screen, it will jump you over to the “live” skiing forum without notice!

Yes, that will happen right now. The other parts of this site will still have to be updated at a later date (the news, weather, etc.). ANd all the links are still pointing to the old version of the forums, when i move over the main one there will be redirects in place to handle that!

ScottySkis

Yes, that will happen right now. The other parts of this site will still have to be updated at a later date (the news, weather, etc.). ANd all the links are still pointing to the old version of the forums, when i move over the main one there will be redirects in place to handle that!

Anyway that Platy thread or other threads can come to new site

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
My two cents:

Instead of burnt orange for the alert color, use a green.

Got that one on my list :)

The forum announcement in general needs some work, they don't transfer over all that nicely. I haven't played with the new styles either (floating, footer, etc.) that are on offer.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I didn't try posting anything, but everything else looks okay to me apart from the test site running a little slow.

Thanks - It should run much quicker than this site. I still will have to play with optimizations etc. but it uses php 7.4 (whereas vbulletin still uses an old version of php) that is much faster.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I'm not noticing a difference

As in, how it works? or what do you mean? I've had a few issues that cdskier has kindly helped identify for me, including not being able to attach certain size / dimension images, not being able to see certain forums, and adjusting email quantity and when they get triggered.

This forum here is still the same. The test forum is over at https://testforum.alpinezone.com/

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
As in, how it works? or what do you mean? I've had a few issues that cdskier has kindly helped identify for me, including not being able to attach certain size / dimension images, not being able to see certain forums, and adjusting email quantity and when they get triggered.

This forum here is still the same. The test forum is over at https://testforum.alpinezone.com/

Sorry about that. This is where it sent me when I clicked the link. No wonder it looked the same!

Dickc

I have noted it looks a bit different on my IPad vs on my desktop PC, but attaching a smaller photo from the desktop was reasonably easy and seemed to work fine. I generally put my pictures on Imgur and link them as some web sites I frequent do not have “purchased” storage space for images (Read that as Pro boards). The new site Will have some differences, but I think everyone will adjust quickly.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I have noted it looks a bit different on my IPad vs on my desktop PC, but attaching a smaller photo from the desktop was reasonably easy and seemed to work fine. I generally put my pictures on Imgur and link them as some web sites I frequent do not have “purchased” storage space for images (Read that as Pro boards). The new site Will have some differences, but I think everyone will adjust quickly.

I think so also, I'm trying to keep it fairly consistent.