• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

High Fives Presents Five Critical Mistakes (Skiing and Boarding Safety)

dlague

I watched the entire series this morning and it go me to think about ho we live on the edge at times. It made me think to stop and smell the snow and take in what is around me a little more. Here are some of the basic issues:

Speed - many of us have a tendency to bomb a run either first thing with out really knowing the conditions or towards the end of a day while tired and the runs are more chopped up and a any given time you could be going over a roller and find yourself landing awkwardly, or catching an edge and fall sliding into the trees (15 MPH could mean serious injury, 40-50 MPH could mean a whole lo worse), or coming in hot and unexpectedly someone merges on a trail and blindsides you or you them.

Getting out of your comfort zone - we all do this some more extreme than others and while the adrenaline is high the risk is high too. Makes me thing of a steep bump run I was on with my kids and a friend at A Basin with huge bumps and a cliff to our right. We had ski similar runs all day but this one was a little more of a challenge and it was late on the day. I caught and edge and then somersaulted over two bumps and came to a stop upside down. I got up and continues - but what is o tomahawked the rest of the way down or better yet would have rolled to the right.

Going in Blind
- Those times when you decide to go on uncharted territory and not knowing whet is there or going off a jump or feature in a park or trail that you have not surveyed yet, or doing something you have never done before. My son and I skiing the trees at Loveland got into it deep and all of a sudden he came across a huge drop. I was following a line, he was going for powder but there was a reason that are was untracked, locals probably know that area. I made to the bottom of the run and my son was no where to be found. He did make it out 15 minutes later but we broke our own rules. If you do not know the area then proceed with caution or take a traveled path. Also never separate and never ski the trees alone. He told us all about it and was freaked out. It was a lesson learned.

I read many of the posts on here abut your experiences with some once and a while no working out so well, hence the injury thread. The season has started, be safe and remember, you have nothing to prove to anyone!

This video has good examples is very interesting to watch I will post the video a a whole then I will post segments separately later! Catch the quote in the beginning.

becca m

interesting info, but, life is full of risks!!! The "never do trees alone" or separate or, for that matter, go backcountry solo are basically the exact opposite of what I do :) My only broken limb happened when I was riding with a friend (at a resort) - D'OH

dlague

interesting info, but, life is full of risks!!! The "never do trees alone" or separate or, for that matter, go backcountry solo are basically the exact opposite of what I do :) My only broken limb happened when I was riding with a friend (at a resort) - D'OH

That is our rule too - woods by two! Yes life is full of risks, the point of the video is that some risks can be calculated. For example, I always have our boys go through the park to evaluate conditions, landings and features hopefully reducing risk - does not eliminate then but reduces them.

mbedle

I watched that this morning and thought it was really good. Actually kind of touching. I also tend to constantly evaluate risks when I am skiing.

cdskier

Well worth taking the 25 minutes to watch the whole video. A number of good things to keep in mind. Ego vs Intuition is one I know I need to watch myself for at times more carefully.

I also now learned what the High Fives Foundation is all about. I've seen Sugarbush host several events to benefit High Fives in the past but never realized what their mission was until now.

crank

I thought the video was really well shot and edited. I thought that what the subject matter is just plain common sense.

bdfreetuna

Always go full send. :daffy:

Jully

I thought the video was really well shot and edited. I thought that what the subject matter is just plain common sense.

The info may be common sense, but people need to hear it to internalize it and think about it though.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
The info may be common sense, but people need to hear it to internalize it and think about it though.

Agree ! Took my son to a birthday party at a air bounce place they made them sit through an safety orientation video.
You can walk up and buy a ticket at any ski area but they don't mention anything about the fine print on the ticket I'm surprised ski areas don't do the same .