• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Highland mountain - 6/27/09

Philpug

Highland Mountain Bike Park is a defuct ski area just north of Concord NewH. I met up with Epic in the parking lot after running a bit late due to a parade that we got stuck in. Epic was nice enough to pull the Trek guy aside and reserve me a Serious (with a capital S) DH bike, a Trek Session 88 with SRAM XO and Shimano Saint brakes. First think I noticed was hese brakes were amazing, remember going from Cantilevers to V-Brakes then from V brakes to Disc? these are that type of difference going from Hayes 9's to the Saints. It was a good thing I wasn't wearing contacts because they would have flew out when I hit these brakes for the first time. I never felt MTB brakes at strong as these. I will say I liked the feel of the Session, the travel and grip was amazing, but coming from always riding XC geometry, it took a bit getting used to. The next bike I rode was a Trek Remedy 9 (XTR equipped) in a Large. I will say, I felt much more comfortable on this bike although it didn't have the grip or tenacious braking of the Saints. One think we noticed regarding my Fuel is the handlebars and that they have the completely wrong bars on them, size does matter here (no jokes please) but where the two bikes I demo'd had spans of roughly 27-28"'s my Liquid was a measly 22". We came to the conclusion that that might be one of my issues..well Duh. I did take the Liquid out for the last ride and it is interesting how a 04 bike has..em...matured over time. Think about a 04 "all mountain" ski compared to a 09 All mountain ski. I think it is very similar to my Liquid to the Remedy.

Enough about the bikes, on to the mountain. Highland has a very cool atmosphere, low key almost Magic (Mountain) like. I will let Epic get into the history of the place, but I know you will find it interesting. I had a great time and although I could barely keep Epic in my sight I really gained a ton of confidence on the hill even though I did slide down a few sections. Epic gave me some pointers that did help. I see nothing but upward growth for the mountain and I wish them the best.

Pics to follow after dig up the cable and download them. I have a few Epic has more.

Last edited:

bvibert

Staff member
Sounds like you got some nice bikes to try out. I'd like to take a full on DH bike out for a lift assisted ride sometime.

BTW - I moved this the TR forum.