• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hints for Sandy, Utah trip

tekweezle

this weekend, me and a couple of friends are making the trek out to Utah. We are catching the 8:00am Delta flight which should get us in by 10:30 MT. We are stay at the infamous Best Western at Sandy and renting and SUV.

Questions I have-

i hear you can get a free liftticket from PCMR with your airline ticket provided you arrived that day. I figure it;s probably the closest to the airport. Anyone ever do it? Where do you go?

is Brighton worth skiing at night? Plan B was to check in and go there after we arrive. does the ticket include night skiing?

our flight out is at 4:30pm Monday. For anyone who has left at this time, what;s the latest you could ski on monday and make it safely back to the airport. Where did you ski?

Thanks in advance

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
tekweezle said:
this weekend, me and a couple of friends are making the trek out to Utah. We are catching the 8:00am Delta flight which should get us in by 10:30 MT. We are stay at the infamous Best Western at Sandy and renting and SUV.

Questions I have-

i hear you can get a free liftticket from PCMR with your airline ticket provided you arrived that day. I figure it;s probably the closest to the airport. Anyone ever do it? Where do you go?

You actually have to register for this on their website and I believe that there are some limitations. Forget the site off hand, if I find it, I'll get back to you..

tekweezle said:
our flight out is at 4:30pm Monday. For anyone who has left at this time, what;s the latest you could ski on monday and make it safely back to the airport. Where did you ski?

Thanks in advance

I requested a late checkout from the Best Western. They will do this for you if they are not too busy, checkout was at 2PM. We skied at Solitude until about 11:30 and left there by 12, got to the hotel in plenty of time to pack up and left for the airport by 2. With curbside checkin, we had plenty of time to still shop a bit and have some lunch. Our flight left at 4:50. They got hammered yesterday, enjoy your trip!

tekweezle

Thanks for the reply and the info!

I am hoping to ski up to atleast 1:30 on monday. Maybe 2:00 if all goes well.

SKIQUATTRO

with the altitue change from NY to UT, there was no way i could have skiied the day we landed (arrived in Park City Sat morning)..just walking around town was tough to catch your breath,,,Sunday am we started skiing easy and just the lower half of the mtn then made our way to the summit....didnt want to risk Altitude Sickness,,,have fun

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
tekweezle said:
Thanks for the reply and the info!

I am hoping to ski up to atleast 1:30 on monday. Maybe 2:00 if all goes well.

If you don't go back to the hotel as we did, you may be ok. You will be cutting it close though. You have to figure, at least an hour to get back to the airport, return the car, check in. You should be good, but if something goes wrong, well worst case, you spend an extra night.:lol:

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Drink plenty of water before skiing, also took aspirin. We didn't have any problems, just took it easy the first day to allow us to adjust.

SKIQUATTRO said:
with the altitue change from NY to UT, there was no way i could have skiied the day we landed (arrived in Park City Sat morning)..just walking around town was tough to catch your breath,,,Sunday am we started skiing easy and just the lower half of the mtn then made our way to the summit....didnt want to risk Altitude Sickness,,,have fun

Powdr

Storms due in this weekend and next week are of the warmer variety. Go to highest resorts possible (Snowbird/Alta/Brighton/Solitude). Avoid the PC resorts until after the front passes, when it gets cold enought to snow below their bases. We have unbelivably deep snow depths right now, so the only issue is the snow surface. The sun this time of year turns anything into mashed potatoes within hours, so get to the powder fast.

Powdr

kingslug

Powdr said:
Storms due in this weekend and next week are of the warmer variety. Go to highest resorts possible (Snowbird/Alta/Brighton/Solitude). Avoid the PC resorts until after the front passes, when it gets cold enought to snow below their bases. We have unbelivably deep snow depths right now, so the only issue is the snow surface. The sun this time of year turns anything into mashed potatoes within hours, so get to the powder fast.

Powdr
You got that right. Solitude got hammered but it was pretty wet and heavy at the lower runs. The summit was very windy but the snow was better. A lot of mank underneath too. Good stuff in the trees though.
When all is said and done, you will be very exhausted but happy when you get home. I just caught 4 hours of sleep after being up for 27. Was worth it.

tekweezle

might not have to worry about it if the snow keeps falling but I was just wondering, which one of the 3 PC resorts-PCMR, Deer Valley or the Canyons would have the best conditions with regards to sun exposure. I have heard that Deer Valley is the worse and that usually causes their usual earlier season closings compared to the other guys.

I have been to all 3 but the guys I;m going with haven't. They want to get that free lift ticket.

kingslug

tekweezle said:
might not have to worry about it if the snow keeps falling but I was just wondering, which one of the 3 PC resorts-PCMR, Deer Valley or the Canyons would have the best conditions with regards to sun exposure. I have heard that Deer Valley is the worse and that usually causes their usual earlier season closings compared to the other guys.

I have been to all 3 but the guys I;m going with haven't. They want to get that free lift ticket.
I've never had a bad time at the Canyons. The place is huge, a lot of trees to protect the snow, varied terrain. I didn't like Deer and haven't heard many good things about PCMR.

tekweezle

Just completed my trip and I have some info to share. bottom line-4 days of skiing, 3 nights, 2 vacation days used-about 700$. Could have been cheaper if we got airfare on Jetblue and got a car rental instead of an SUV. I'll have more details in a trip report.

Some randomn notes- since I picked up vehicle on friday 11:00 and returned it monday at 3:00, they charged me for an extra day rental. that was $46.00.

probably would have been better to get the "return empty" option since the rental comany was charging only 2.15 per gallon and the street price was 2.19-2.26. also, there are no gas stations close to the airport.

The free ticket to Park City, Deer Valley or the Canyons is only good certain times of the season. we arrived at 10:30 and was in the Canyons parking lot by 11:50.

Brighton is open til 4/23. Get over there!