• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

History of Mad River Glen

cdskier

Good video. I definitely need to try to make it over there one day this winter. It really looks like a great mountain. I rode the single chair this past weekend and was really impressed by just what I was able to see from the chair. The trails looked extremely interesting and fun.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Ah, very cool. Thanks for posting I recommend this book as well....despite the few typos in it that really detract from what is otherwise an awesome book:

mountain_love_affair_web.jpg

A tease: https://www.madriverglen.com/images/store/Book Teaser.pdf

One obvious typo that is funny: on one page they have Ken Quackenbush getting on the "last" original single chair ride on April 7, 2007 before it was renovated. You flip literally two or three pages to see a picture of folks at the Stark's Nest waiting for Ken Quackenbush on that same chair ride....on April 20, 2008. Poor guy--that was one hell of a lift ride!

KustyTheKlown

Will watch the video later. Mad River Glen is the most pure lift served skiing experience, maybe in the world

cdskier

That one put a smile on my face as well.

I laughed when the ski patrollers were telling the story about the guy that they had to take down on a sled 3 times in 2 days...and on the 3rd trip down they said they gave him a wild ride and never saw him again after that!

steamboat1

I have to give credit to a poster on another site (cantunamunch) for digging up this video. I had seen this documentary on PBS years ago but was never able find it again when I searched for it. After I inquired about it on the other site this person found it for me. I thank him.

cdskier

I have to give credit to a poster on another site (cantunamunch) for digging up this video. I had seen this documentary on PBS years ago but was never able find it again when I searched for it. After I inquired about it on the other site this person found it for me. I thank him.

It is actually right on MRG's website - http://www.madriverglen.com/mountain/history

I came across it last night after you posted it when I was looking for more info on the book that Trailboss posted about. I'm surprised I never watched it previously.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I laughed when the ski patrollers were telling the story about the guy that they had to take down on a sled 3 times in 2 days...and on the 3rd trip down they said they gave him a wild ride and never saw him again after that!

That was a great one.

cdskier

Their shipping costs are pretty reasonable.

Or I could always stop in at some other point considering I'm in the MRV area pretty much every weekend in the winter skiing next door :razz: This time it just happened that I literally walked within 5 feet of the store and didn't go in and should have!