• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How are conditions out West?

Fly to ABQ then do Taos and Wolf Creek. Drive from T to WC is absurdly beautiful and WC has 17 inches in the last 24 hours with 43 more coming.

jimk

As you may know a lot of the Rockies have been quite dry for the last one month+, but things are improving. Utah received about 8" in the last 24 hours with perhaps another 3-5" in the next 24 hrs. Much of CO is expected to get a foot or more in the next 48 hrs.
Ikon bumps: possibly the best combo in relatively close proximity is Winter Park, Arapahoe Basin and Copper Mtn, all included in Ikon base pass. If you have full pass then Jackson and Aspen could be good. Taos, Steamboat, Palisades Tahoe (yuck don't like that name), Mammoth and most other Ikon mtns would have some bumps.
I have to say that the Utah ikon resorts such as Solitude, Alta, Snowbird (where I ski a lot) are probably more known for big mtn lines, than gnarly bump runs.

thetrailboss

Staff member
What if one has Ikon instead of Epic?
Well, I am at Big Sky. The high today was -5 F. That said, I dressed for it and was fine. Snow levels up here are LOW. Any natural runs facing south are nearly bare except for a thin snow veneer. The last storm dropped 4-8" and helped a lot. But there are lots of rocks and obstacles not covered too well.

We got some new snow in the Wasatch the last few days. That helped us creep back up to about 85-90" base. That said, we endured a terrible 5-week drought that shrunk the snow pack and things were pretty beat up on my last visit on Saturday. I just peeked at the NOAA forecasts and it looks like the death ridge is returning. [Sigh]. Maybe it will pull back again.

So really it depends. Look at some long term forecasts and decide. And unless it stays cold, powder days start to becoming few and far between this time of year because of warmer temps and higher sun angles. If you really want powder I'd go as far north as you can.

raisingarizona

It’s dumping here in Flagstaff.

The timing couldn’t be better since I just got over the covid two weeks ago and now I’m getting run over with bronchitis

Kingslug20

Got 4 inches at sun valley..maybe 5 in some places..a little more on the way...but a good amount of the mountain is in good shape now..

djd66

Well, I am at Big Sky. The high today was -5 F. That said, I dressed for it and was fine. Snow levels up here are LOW. Any natural runs facing south are nearly bare except for a thin snow veneer. The last storm dropped 4-8" and helped a lot. But there are lots of rocks and obstacles not covered too well.

We got some new snow in the Wasatch the last few days. That helped us creep back up to about 85-90" base. That said, we endured a terrible 5-week drought that shrunk the snow pack and things were pretty beat up on my last visit on Saturday. I just peeked at the NOAA forecasts and it looks like the death ridge is returning. [Sigh]. Maybe it will pull back again.

So really it depends. Look at some long term forecasts and decide. And unless it stays cold, powder days start to becoming few and far between this time of year because of warmer temps and higher sun angles. If you really want powder I'd go as far north as you can.
I’m at Big Sky too,… first time here and this place is great,… would be incredible with another 2 feet of coverage. I have completely trashed my skis and I suspect my wife and kids did the same. Ton of exposed rock hidden below the pow.

Any suggestions on places to hit?

machski

I’m at Big Sky too,… first time here and this place is great,… would be incredible with another 2 feet of coverage. I have completely trashed my skis and I suspect my wife and kids did the same. Ton of exposed rock hidden below the pow.

They don't call them the Rocky Mountains for nothing ;) Everytime I've gone out there I've found rock and done some damage, once a good core shot. Different aspects will have different coverage out there, if you explore even in the best of years, you'll likely find an area where you hit rock. Been my experience in the 3 times we've been to BS.

thetrailboss

Staff member

Might you be a Sugarloafer I talked with yesterday in the lounge?

I had a Win sighting today. ;)

Apparently, the week I am planning my trip is also college spring break, so I am probably going to stay away from the busier spots. Looking at some of these non Salt Lake or Denver places I see a few non-stop flights from NY that only happen once a day or even only twice a week. Any experience with these types of flights? I’d rather not have to connect with all the delays and cancellations these days, but is a lone flight any safer? Or do you get really stuck if it is canceled?

machski

Apparently, the week I am planning my trip is also college spring break, so I am probably going to stay away from the busier spots. Looking at some of these non Salt Lake or Denver places I see a few non-stop flights from NY that only happen once a day or even only twice a week. Any experience with these types of flights? I’d rather not have to connect with all the delays and cancellations these days, but is a lone flight any safer? Or do you get really stuck if it is canceled?
You would get really stuck if a once every couple of days flight cancels on you. Especially if the next flight a few days later is booked full.

djd66

Might you be a Sugarloafer I talked with yesterday in the lounge?

I had a Win sighting today. ;)
No, Sugarbusher,… we saw and said hello to Win too!

love the heated bubble chairs here, I would love to see one of those at the bush!

The one thing this place is really lacking is lodge space. It’s kind of ridiculous for a place this size.

thetrailboss

Staff member
The one thing this place is really lacking is lodge space. It’s kind of ridiculous for a place this size.
That is a west-coast thing. People out here boot up at the car and only use the lodge to eat or drink. Much different than the east coast where our culture is to start and end in the lodge.

raisingarizona

That's skiing the alpine. I hear Big Sky is having a really dry year.

djd66

That is a west-coast thing. People out here boot up at the car and only use the lodge to eat or drink. Much different than the east coast where our culture is to start and end in the lodge.
I’m not talking about a place to boot up,… I’m talking about a place to eat some lunch. Been here for the week and it was literally impossible to find a table to eat lunch. I’m Ikon, so that is the only money I’m spending here Is for food. If Big Sky wants to make money, I need a table to sit down so I can eat my $20.00 burger. I skied at many mtns out west and in Europe, this place is the worst as far as lodges for eating options.

jimk

I’m not talking about a place to boot up,… I’m talking about a place to eat some lunch. Been here for the week and it was literally impossible to find a table to eat lunch. I’m Ikon, so that is the only money I’m spending here Is for food. If Big Sky wants to make money, I need a table to sit down so I can eat my $20.00 burger. I skied at many mtns out west and in Europe, this place is the worst as far as lodges for eating options.
I kind of agree. I was at Big Sky for about 4 days pre-pandemic and even then the seemingly only convenient place on hill to eat was that kind of crummy yurt over by Shedhorn. It was crowded, cold, damp, but I delt with it because the slopes were in great shape with a ton of fresh snow. :p