• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How does Pico compare?

gregnye

So yah--I went to the ski expo yesterday and won 2 free tickets to pico!!! I have never been to Pico before (Have been to Killingon 2 years ago--won tickets for that one as well 2 years ago) and know where to stay etc.

What I am wondering is: How does the terrain at Pico compare to other mountains?

-It has about 2,000 (actually 1,967) vertical: Does it ski like Wildcat?

-I am told that it doesn't get as much snowmaking love as killington (which could be ok--I like natural trails) Is it kind of like Jay Peak in this way with glades?

Also--do they run the Outpost Lift on sunday's? That is when my ticket is valid and I know that I must visit that part of the mountain! (there was some thread that said they didn't run it often)

Suggestions of good trails are welcome. I always eat chili for lunch at every ski area I go to (a tradition). So if you want to warn me to stay away from their chili feel free! :spin:

I think I might pay the big K a visit as well while I am up there--I never got to go there when everything was open!

deadheadskier

Staff member
The Vert at Pico doesn't ski the same as Wildcat. Pico's got a pretty significant run out. Decent pitch up top, very flat at the base. They haven't made that much snow there in recent years, so plan on going when we are in a decent cycle of natural snow.

The Outback area is great and even if the lift isn't spinning, it's all of a 5 minute skate at most to access that terrain off the lower HSQ.

Upper Giant Killer can be a great bump run. Summit Glade while not a glade per say and also not worthy of a Diamond rating is a really cool trail. I'm a big fan of A-slope off the little Pico Triple (not open midweek). Upper KA is one of my favorite cruising runs in New England.

Great place. Totally different from Killington. Hope the interconnect never happens.

xwhaler

I agree with DHS on Pico....great mtn. I skied it for the 1st time 2 winters ago on a Sunday after an 8" storm. Had the mtn to ourselves basically and everything was wide open.
There definately is some challenging terrain there that anyone can enjoy. Lapping A-Slope for a few runs is a great time and then move over to the Outback lift.
The cool thing about Pico is that there are 3 unique pods (upper mtn, A-SLope, outback) so you get a nice variety.
I do agree with the run-out comment though....A slope and Outback are better continuous vertical than the upper mtn quad.
I hope to get 1 day in at Pico this season.

skifree

skied it 2 years ago on Presidents week. No lift lines and sweet conditions.
Bumps on outback are very nice. stayed in Rutland at the Holiday Inn.
15 minute ride and price was decent...
definitley go again.

steamboat1

Pico is a great mountain with a local vibe. Like what was said they haven't been making much snow the past few years so conditions could be limited if they don't have natural snow. Hopefully that will change this year with new management at K. They had some issues last season with broken snow making pipe on the trail under the summit lift & the most challenging trail (Giant Killer) hasn't seen a snow gun in years. If your lucky enough to be there after a good snowstorm it's one of the best mountains to be at in New England.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I can't speak to comparisons to Wildcat because I have not been to the latter, but Pico is pretty neat in its own right. The two main HSQ's deliver some great skiing. I agree that the runout is pretty frickin annoying, but you can ski some interesting terrain on the top and far sides.

Snowmaking: I've not skied it since ASC owned it, but from working in Rutvegas from 2008-2011 I can say that folks I talked with said that they made more snow than ASC did, but they are still stingy with it. Go when there is a lot of natural and you will have a blast. Summit Glades, Birch Glades, and pretty much anything off the Outpost deliver some fun terrain that is largely deserted. Outpost is a weekend-only lift as well. Hit A-Slope for something downright gnarly. Sunset '71 and Upper KA are really a lot of fun to ski and are old-school narrow runs akin to something you'd find at Burke.

And it is nothing like Killington...although parts of it will feel like the forgotten parts of Killington.

dmw

I've never been, but had a thought after talking to a Pico rep at the Expo last weekend - with it only open Thursday - Monday, there's probably a good chance of untracked snow Thursdays, if any falls between Monday afternoon and Thursday; a bigger window than most! Definitely hoping to get there this year.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I've never been, but had a thought after talking to a Pico rep at the Expo last weekend - with it only open Thursday - Monday, there's probably a good chance of untracked snow Thursdays, if any falls between Monday afternoon and Thursday; a bigger window than most! Definitely hoping to get there this year.

The midweek closure was not initially well received, but this is one thing that folks actually now like. And all indications are that after this decision they are in the black.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
The Vert at Pico doesn't ski the same as Wildcat. Pico's got a pretty significant run out. Decent pitch up top, very flat at the base. They haven't made that much snow there in recent years, so plan on going when we are in a decent cycle of natural snow.

The Outback area is great and even if the lift isn't spinning, it's all of a 5 minute skate at most to access that terrain off the lower HSQ.

Upper Giant Killer can be a great bump run. Summit Glade while not a glade per say and also not worthy of a Diamond rating is a really cool trail. I'm a big fan of A-slope off the little Pico Triple (not open midweek). Upper KA is one of my favorite cruising runs in New England.

Great place. Totally different from Killington. Hope the interconnect never happens.
DHS hit on all the must ski trails.

The place skis nothing like Wildcat. Vertical at Pico is not consistent at all. There is no top to bottom lift nor do you want to ski the mountain top to bottom except to get back to the lodge. It is absolutely a pod based mountain. Even the summit quad has its own little run out. Cool mountain but it skis smaller than its vertical indicates.

boston_e

I'd pretty much agree with what everyone has said here. It does not ski as big as Wildcat, but at the same time definitely skis bigger than most people who have not studied the vertical / trail map expect it will. I think it has the impression as "that small little place next to Killington", but that is not the case really at all.

I went with season passes there for the whole family this winter. Perfect for a day with the kids (ages 4 and 6), and has plenty of stuff to keep me entertained for the couple of hours that I'll get out after the kids get tired or for the odd day where I go solo without the kids.

MadMadWorld

If you get there after a big storm, hit up the old Poma Line (I don't think this is any big secret). It's very unique and a whole lot of fun. But it does require a good base.

millerm277

It's a nice place to ski. The problem Pico has is largely location. When most people are driving 4 hours, they're going to go to the huge place next door to ski, not a place which doesn't have the same scale.

If the snowmaking was used more, it would help, although they do blow snow on a decent variety most seasons.

If I was going to Killington for 3+ days, I'd definitely consider doing one at Pico if it's a decent snow season. Also worth considering on busy weekends.

nycskier

Use you free tickets in conjuction with a Killington trip. I use to do that all the time. Would ski 2 or 3 days at Killington and then do the final day usually a Sunday at Pico. It would take a 15 minutes off my drive home and give me a final uncrowed day on my ski trip. Fri & Sat at Killington followed by a Sunday at Pico makes a nice trip.

xlr8r

Pico is one of if not the least crowded mountain for its size in the east, plus it has two detachable quads. The upper mountain trails are full of twists and turns, have a classic New England character, and have good length. I would consider the Summit Express as one of my top 5 lift/trail pods in the east. The Golden express area is a nice mellow low intermediate pod, which is something Killington lacks besides Ramshead. Outpost is nice whether the lift runs or not, as you skate over to it from golden. Overall Pico is probably the most overlooked mountain in the east, but definitely one of my favorites as I try to get at least one day there every year.

jaytrem

Tuna...was a joke. Pico is a hidden gem

They have a similar thing in California, "June Sucks". June is to Mammoth as Pico is to Killington. Unfortunatly Mammoth shut down June this year, supposed to reopen next year though. Gotta be careful with the joke stuff, could unintentionally have a negative effect.

jaybird

Pico is nothing like K or Wildcat. It has a unique character and remains unspoiled by PWDR.
Upper Mnt is where the goods are. Exploring delivers treasures.
Thursday mornings can be epic, unless skinners get at it.
Many pray the inter-connect nevers happens.
K gets any wider, it'll likely pop.