• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

I'm not ready for ski season yet, but I'm getting there.....

BenedictGomez

As much as I love skiing, I'm enjoying hiking, mountain biking, and fishing too much to "submit" to winter just yet. I imagine the New England boating contingent we have here probably is too. I keep up on all the new, "ski season 2024/25" info that drops, but I keep thinking, "not yet", so to speak. Anyone else feeling the same way?

Now if I could just drop 10 or 12 pounds my ski season float would be better! Perhaps I'll work on that the next 3 months, but it'll require ditching IPAs.

KustyTheKlown

'see live music often, have a social life, and dont drive 400+ miles every weekend' season is nice, but im ready for it to be over.

jimk

As much as I enjoy skiing, it's pretty hard on my body at this stage. I need a good long offseason to rest and recover :)

I often don't start skiing until late Dec or early Jan, so I have a few more months of pre-season prep than you.

ghughes20

As much as I love skiing, I'm enjoying hiking, mountain biking, and fishing too much to "submit" to winter just yet. I imagine the New England boating contingent we have here probably is too. I keep up on all the new, "ski season 2024/25" info that drops, but I keep thinking, "not yet", so to speak. Anyone else feeling the same way?

Now if I could just drop 10 or 12 pounds my ski season float would be better! Perhaps I'll work on that the next 3 months, but it'll require ditching IPAs.
Hockey season starts soon, skiing is just behind. I also need to drop 10 pounds. Need to get back on the bike.

Go Devils!!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Skiing definitely on the brain even though boating season for us goes through Columbus Day. It would go to Thanksgiving if it were up to me, but the marina feels otherwise. Inevitably there will be a 60 degree Saturday in November where I wish I was on the water.

In a perfect world where I was no longer working and kids were out of school my schedule would be:

Thanksgiving - 4/15 - Ski Season
4/15 - 5/15 - Head somewhere tropical
5/15 - 10/15 - Boating season
10/16 - Thanksgiving - back south

jimk

10/16 - Thanksgiving - back south
One of my daughters lets me stay in a rental property she owns in Panama City Beach, FL in the off season. In the fall the air and water are both 80 degs and there are few tourists. Very nice!
Nov 2022:
2 nov 2022 sunset early PCB .jpg

Oct 2023:
panama city beach.jpg

Not sure if I'll get down there this fall, got a bathroom remodeling project starting soon at my primary homestead.:(

ThatGuy

Where have you been fishing around here? Provo river, Deer Creek Res and Jordanelle are close by your house right. Have you made your way up Mirror Lake Highway yet?

JimG.

Staff member
As much as I enjoy skiing, it's pretty hard on my body at this stage. I need a good long offseason to rest and recover :)

I resemble this remark.

My ortho doesn't understand how I can ski with my bone on bone, already surgically repaired right knee. He's not a skier! I have to train harder and harder each year to be ready for the season. Been at it since late May.

Reality is I'll have a replaced right knee pretty soon.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I was always a ski myself into shape kinda guy. Some periods of gym over the years, but never committed for long. While my skills hadn't dropped off a cliff, I started to realize a couple of seasons ago that if I still wanted to rip in my 60s if not 70s like I see some guys still doing, I needed to make some changes. I also had my kids a bit later in life and realized if I still wanted to ski the terrain I'm capable of today when they're older and skilled enough to join me, I wasn't going to be able to at the way I was allowing myself to age.

18 months ago I gave up booze entirely. I also gave up drinking any beverages at all that have calories. Black coffee, seltzer or still water only. That's really the only dieting I do. I'm a little bit more conscious of portion sizes and mindful of menu selections, but still eat pretty much what I want. One year ago I joined a gym and I'm there at least 5 days a week at 5:30AM.

I turned 49 today and at 175#, I'm the lightest I've been since junior year of highschool. If not for my sweet tooth and if I did more cardio (I pretty much just lift) I'd probably be 160#, but 175 is a helluva a lot better than the 200-215 I've been most of my adult life.

So, from a physical standpoint, I'm as excited going into this season as I've ever been. Hoping the work I've put in has restored some of my quickness in the bumps and trees plus help me further rise up the rankings in my race league.

raisingarizona

I was always a ski myself into shape kinda guy. Some periods of gym over the years, but never committed for long. While my skills hadn't dropped off a cliff, I started to realize a couple of seasons ago that if I still wanted to rip in my 60s if not 70s like I see some guys still doing, I needed to make some changes. I also had my kids a bit later in life and realized if I still wanted to ski the terrain I'm capable of today when they're older and skilled enough to join me, I wasn't going to be able to at the way I was allowing myself to age.

18 months ago I gave up booze entirely. I also gave up drinking any beverages at all that have calories. Black coffee, seltzer or still water only. That's really the only dieting I do. I'm a little bit more conscious of portion sizes and mindful of menu selections, but still eat pretty much what I want. One year ago I joined a gym and I'm there at least 5 days a week at 5:30AM.

I turned 49 today and at 175#, I'm the lightest I've been since junior year of highschool. If not for my sweet tooth and if I did more cardio (I pretty much just lift) I'd probably be 160#, but 175 is a helluva a lot better than the 200-215 I've been most of my adult life.

So, from a physical standpoint, I'm as excited going into this season as I've ever been. Hoping the work I've put in has restored some of my quickness in the bumps and trees plus help me further rise up the rankings in my race league.
HBD DHS. I turned 49 this month as well.

My motivation has hit an all time low. I admire others with much more determination and discipline than I have. There's no F-ing way I'd go hit the gym and definitely NOT at 5:30 in the morning! :D

deadheadskier

Staff member
HBD DHS. I turned 49 this month as well.

My motivation has hit an all time low. I admire others with much more determination and discipline than I have. There's no F-ing way I'd go hit the gym and definitely NOT at 5:30 in the morning! :D

Thank you and backatcha

Between a busy work schedule, wife, kids, dog; that's the only time that works unless I went at 9PM. Then I'd be wired and couldn't get to sleep.

It's become my favorite hour of the day. I don't have to answer to anyone and can focus on doing something for myself.

1dog

Thank you and backatcha

Between a busy work schedule, wife, kids, dog; that's the only time that works unless I went at 9PM. Then I'd be wired and couldn't get to sleep.

It's become my favorite hour of the day. I don't have to answer to anyone and can focus on doing something for myself.
5-6:30 AM is best time of day. 1st 5 is tough. . . . then it is perfection.

Hawk

The trick for me is to stay active year round. I always have some kind of good arobic base going. Approching 60 and the aches and pains are more prevelent. I stretch and ride my mountain bike 3 to 5 days a week basically all year unless there is snow on the ground. Then I switch to xc skiing. Riding is my savior in the non skiing months. I leave work around 5ish and it is only 5 or 10 miles out of Boston depending on where we go. Good group of guys and beers and conversaion after. That being said, I truely never stop thinking about skiing. It is just in my blood like many of you. We already booked a new years week trip to Alpine / Palasades to stay with my friend who had a double hip replacement and is rearing to go. And we Booked Zermat! Stoke is already so high.

4aprice

Yep. Poof another summer gone, this one in a flash. Boat coming out in the next week or two. The same way every ski season is different every lake season is unique as well. This past one not too bad with pretty good weather (only 1 slightly scary dash back to port with the lightning flashing nearby). Some fun tiki nights, but not enough tennis, biking or pickle as I would like due to life getting in the way. Did get in a couple of trips, one to San Antonio for a wedding and one to Jensen Beach Florida with a side trip to Key West (always an interesting time)

Anyways fall is here (officially as of yesterday). Acorns have been dropping at a rapid clip since August and now the leaves. Good time in sports for me as my Mets are hanging in there, the Jets look entertaining and the Devils started preseason last night. Things still mostly green here in Jersey, but out at our place in Colorado the Aspen groves are blazing yellow and the slopes look trimmed (between 8000 and 9000 ft). Haven't seen any snow (on the web cam) but temps have been below freezing most mornings. (Just to add, a healthy frost and 28 this morning)

As far as off season training. I pretty much keep the same dry land routine most of the year as I fear that if I stop I won't get rolling again. I have stopped running due to the pounding but I certainly get 10,000 steps (that artificial goal) per day. Admire you guys who have given up the booze. Have threatened to do that too but too much of social beast and weakling. Still I feel pretty good physically going into the season.

Unfortunately our family just recently suffered an unexpected and slightly life changing event with the passing of a dearly loved member. A major member of our skiing posse. Going to have us "recalculating" the season plans from what has been for the last 20 years. Makes one reflect on ones own mortality and the desire to get to that working finish line and get out and enjoy some life while you can.

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

my lifting has fallen off, but my running is consistent as ever (3 mile run, 5-6 days per week), and i went to an orthopedist about some mild knee discomfort this summer, which sent me to 3 months of 1x/week physical therapy, and a bunch of stretching and balancing exercises that will be incorporated into my morning ski rituals

KustyTheKlown

I have some knee pain also. What did the PT guy show you to do to balance your knee?

they said I have anatomically low kneecaps and some heavy wear on the cartridge on my right knee. They also said my quads and hamstrings were very tight (which was a surprise)

certain impacts on the treadmill, or (very specifically) when doing the uphill duck walk with skis on, can sometimes produce a brief but shooting pain

They gave me homework exercises, which consisted of bird dogs, supine bugs, hip flexor stretching, clam shells with resistance, foam rolls

Once a week I’d go in and she would work the shit out of my right upper leg with massage, and then put me thru more intense balance and strength exercises at the pt facility

That generally consisted of skater hops, repeatedly jumping off a ~2 foot block, these side to side hops using a bosu ball, some “backwards lunging” (unsure what to call it) using trx straps, more hip flexing and figure 4 stretches. “Airplane passes” = balancing on one leg while leaning forward and passing a 10 lb weight from my left to right and bakc

i think i experience the pain less frequently while running now, and my balance is definitely objectively improved

Last edited:

Hawk

Holy Shit. Sounds like something that Michela or Lindsey Vann would do for Rehab. LOL I think I get the jist of it. She is doing all kinds of different things to balance the muscles.