• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Injury Roster 2012 / 2013 Ski Season

Puck it

I thought this needed to started. After my mcl tear in August. I am now on a tendon problem in left elbow, probably tennis elbow but not from playing. It is bothering me a little with pole planting but it is bearable.

Let the season begin!!!!

hammer

Mentioned in another thread...ingrown toenail on right foot is getting too angry to tolerate ski boots, visit to podiatrist tomorrow and hope to get some relief. Of all of the things that prevented me from going out last week...:roll:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
The minor issues are the worst. I have something F'd up with my small right toe after skiing four days in less than a week earlier this year, including a big touring day. Might be a corn, it is on the mend but still rather tender. Going on three days without skiing here, not sure about this weekend.

Warp Daddy

Pulled groin muscle ,a classic overuse issue from too much gym ,specifically elyptical and leg machines .

Achy right knee BUT thanks to Glucosamine THAT sucker is feeling great now

Terry

Ruptured disc in my lower back pressing on sciatic nerve. Lost feeling in left leg but is slowly coming back. Been skiing twice and gotten used to turning, etc. Took a few runs to get figured out. By second day was skiing moguls under the guns. Back feels great but I also got new ski boots and couldn't feel how tight the left boot was. I now have a very nasty looking left big toe and nail. Getting the boot blown out a bit on thursday night. How long does it take for a toenail to fall off? It is already loose.

Madroch

Blew out my back in June when form lapsed squatting heavy (for me :))- still cranky - but held up fine for day one- day after was really stiff... Rib I cracked last December still barks at times-getting old sucks.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Ruptured disc in my lower back pressing on sciatic nerve. Lost feeling in left leg but is slowly coming back. Been skiing twice and gotten used to turning, etc. Took a few runs to get figured out. By second day was skiing moguls under the guns. Back feels great but I also got new ski boots and couldn't feel how tight the left boot was. I now have a very nasty looking left big toe and nail. Getting the boot blown out a bit on thursday night. How long does it take for a toenail to fall off? It is already loose.
Heh. I herniated a disc in the L5/S1 region (IIRC) May 2011 and had to have emergency surgery to remove it--it was pressing badly on my sciatic nerve leading down my left leg, leading to extreme spasms. Doc said it was the biggest herniated disc he's seen in his career, and he's been doing this 20 years. 18 months later and the back of my left leg and half my left foot are still numb, and will likely be for life. I've come a long way, but this is as far as I will likely go, according to the doc. So I'll be learning to ski with a numb/spasming foot/leg this year, too.

Glad to hear it went well for you, aside from the toenail casualty. It took probably 6 months for my nail to fall off the one time I had it get that bad.

Cannonball

I thought this needed to started. After my mcl tear in August. I am now on a tendon problem in left elbow, probably tennis elbow but not from playing. It is bothering me a little with pole planting but it is bearable.

Let the season begin!!!!

Dude, watch out with that one! Tennis elbow (epicondylitis) pre-disposes you to bicep ruptures. I know you've been there before....don't go there again. There are some good stretches and some good, unobtrusive braces/sleeves that can help in prevention. Plant lightly...

For me: Other than being horribly out of shape, I'm ready to roll.

Madroch

As to disc issues- even though my recent back injury was muscle- have a history of disc issues- and the dead/numb leg is something you kind of get used to. Fortunately for me it is not constant, but only periodic when the disc flares. When I walk 18 is when I really become the leg dragger.

o3jeff

Woke up with a pretty sore shoulder about 2 weeks ago and hasn't gotten any better or worse, should probably give in and make a doctors appointment.

Puck it

Woke up with a pretty sore shoulder about 2 weeks ago and hasn't gotten any better or worse, should probably give in and make a doctors appointment.

Arer you sleeping on it? I had an issue a few years ago with right shoulder. I thought it was a rotator problem. It turned out that I was laying with it under pillow. Just a thought.

o3jeff

Arer you sleeping on it? I had an issue a few years ago with right shoulder. I thought it was a rotator problem. It turned out that I was laying with it under pillow. Just a thought.

That's what I was thinking too since I sleep on my stomach. Have been trying sleeping on my back and it still hasn't gone away.

Smellytele

Well jammed my thumb the first day out this year. Then I took a nasty fall down a couple of stairs trying to wheel my father who is in a wheel chair down the 4 stairs. Laid him down then flipped over him and hit the rail post with my back. It was all in slow motion. Happened on Thanksgiving and while it is much better now still have a nasty black and blue and some discomfort. I will ski this weekend hopefully and test it out.

jrmagic

I had a problem like this years back. it turned out to be a "frozen shoulder". It seemed to happen out of the blue and damn did it hurt. Since I didn't do anything to make it happen I figured it wouLD go away and waited at least a month before going to see someone. Finally I would up at the chiropractor's office and it cleared up in a coupel of weeks after some trigger point therapy(this sucked by the way lol) and hooking me up to a battery to cause the muscles to keep firing.

Cheese

I now have a very nasty looking left big toe and nail. Getting the boot blown out a bit on thursday night. How long does it take for a toenail to fall off? It is already loose.

Are there actually skiers with decent looking toe nails by the end of the season? For me it's just a matter of time until I do something that destroys one or both big toenails. I keep them clipped wicked short but still they're not presentable till the end of summer or early fall.

C-Rex

I have some moderate swelling in my midsection. It keeps me warm but causes me to exert more effort to move around. My doctor says it's from drinking too much beer but I think he's a quack.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Nothing yet. Of course I have been busy changing diapers and haven't been on the slopes yet :sadwalk:

Am hoping to get out this weekend if I have time ... we do Xmas dinner at our house and w/ the baby this year it's just soooo much prep work.

Outside of the Summit it's gonna be short trips for me this year, 2.5 hr drives max (Cannon / Magic areas, maybe MRG distance if the weather is right). Gonna call in sick a few days later too. Early season for me this year has been pretty lame though (skiing-wise, awesome in terms of having a son and enjoying being a new dad!)