• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Insurance

BackLoafRiver

So, recently I have been noticing a LARGE number of break-in's in our area and it got me super freaked out about my bikes.

How do you guys have yours insured? Since we rent, I have had rental insurance for years but never thought to check how they handle bicycles. According to the insurance lady, I need to "schedule" them and it is going to add $1,000 a year to my policy. (based on the value of my bikes)

Keeping a gun in the house is a viable insurance option but it does me no good if I am not around to use it. :uzi:

I supposed I could keep them inside and chain them to the wall.

mlctvt

I checked with my homeowners policy and they would cover my bikes with no additional adder even though they are worth over $15K. $1000 adder for bike coverage is absolutely ridiculous. You should get other quotes.

I cable lock my bikes to the walls if I keep them in the garage even though the garage is locked. This might not stop a pro thief but it would slow them down.

hammer

So, recently I have been noticing a LARGE number of break-in's in our area and it got me super freaked out about my bikes.

How do you guys have yours insured? Since we rent, I have had rental insurance for years but never thought to check how they handle bicycles. According to the insurance lady, I need to "schedule" them and it is going to add $1,000 a year to my policy. (based on the value of my bikes)

Keeping a gun in the house is a viable insurance option but it does me no good if I am not around to use it. :uzi:

I supposed I could keep them inside and chain them to the wall.
I'd chain them inside.

Over 20 years ago I made a renters insurance claim of about $300 for a stolen basic mountain bike (person came in through an open garage door in broad daylight while we were at home and took it). When I purchased a house a few years later I was denied insurance through one company (starts with "P") because I had a claim in the last 3 years.

Also, $1000/year? That's almost as much as I pay for homeowners insurance and I'm guessing the replacement cost of my house is a bit more than your bike is worth.