• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Internet Marketing BS

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
So I open Boston.com today and find a banner, "This is not a joke - congratulations you won!" You are the 6, 215, 182, 279th visitor to see this banner."

Hmm. There are now a little over 7 billion people in the world. As of January, 2007, approximately 800 million people age 15 and older have used the internet.

:dunce:
So, where are the other 5 billion people, Mr. Scam U. Marketer?
Maybe they are all under 15?
Did we get the rest of the world logged on the net in 18 months?
Did you know that half the world's population is below the poverty level?
Maybe they all died already?
How many suckers does it take to click the banner for it to be successful?
Maybe Mr. Scam figures our ability master arithmetic is that bad.
:dunce:

It is sad to see credible news organizations succumbing to :puke:spam-is-money mentality. I'm glad I spend idle time skiing instead of scamming. At least I sleep well at night.

Last edited:
maybe some people saw the banner multiple times..those other 6 billion people in third world countries..are missing out because the internet rocks..

deadheadskier

Staff member
I read the Boston Globe online every morning and I'm always frustrated by the pop ups from the site, which somehow make it through my blocker. Some bother me more than others such as the Direct Buy one. It has been well documented what a scam that company is and the fact that my favorite newspaper whores themselves out to such a company for ad $$$ is bothersome.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
maybe some people saw the banner multiple times..those other 6 billion people in third world countries..are missing out because the internet rocks..

I'm game. :) So how many people would read an English-language page? About a billion is the current worldwide estimate of English-speakers, including primary language and secondary language speakers, split half and half.

I'm going to make a stretch that all English readers have access to the net and that there is no illiteracy amoungst English-speakers. Hah! Assuming this drivel has about 10% market penetration, that's about 100 million people. So, 100 million people see the banner ten times each. That's a billion. I'm still missing my 5 billion people.... Ain't statistics fun? back to skiing :razz:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I read the Boston Globe online every morning and I'm always frustrated by the pop ups from the site, which somehow make it through my blocker. Some bother me more than others such as the Direct Buy one. It has been well documented what a scam that company is and the fact that my favorite newspaper whores themselves out to such a company for ad $$$ is bothersome.

We need an internet rating company that has a crap-ometer. What percentage of the web page is drivel, spam or requires TP to clean up?

Greg

Staff member
In Boston.com's defense, they more than likely weren't aware of the banner. Many Web sites, this one included, belong to various advertising networks. I use such services as "filler" ads when I have excess inventory that is not sold directly to on topic clients. New advertisers come and go on these networks and it can take a lot of time to monitor and block everything that is questionable. Just sayin'.

ctenidae

This is just banter. True, in the over all scope of life, it is meaningless. I learned long ago what's important. I'm suprised you haven't made a similar comment on the TP thread! :)

Compared to this thread, the TP thread is life or death.

hardline

Somewhere Between the Toeside and the Hellside
In Boston.com's defense, they more than likely weren't aware of the banner. Many Web sites, this one included, belong to various advertising networks. I use such services as "filler" ads when I have excess inventory that is not sold directly to on topic clients. New advertisers come and go on these networks and it can take a lot of time to monitor and block everything that is questionable. Just sayin'.

which service do you use? rollpoint. i used to do a ton of flash banner ads for different companies that used rollpoint.

Greg

Staff member
which service do you use? rollpoint. i used to do a ton of flash banner ads for different companies that used rollpoint.

Mostly Tribal Fusion, Burst and Adsense. I think you mean PointRoll?

deadheadskier

Staff member

you think so? My only doubt in your thought process is that I believe that boston.com is part of the globe, which is owned by the NY Times. I would think they'd monitor everything quite tight to ensure maximum ad revenue dollars.

Greg

Staff member
you think so? My only doubt in your thought process is that I believe that boston.com is part of the globe, which is owned by the NY Times. I would think they'd monitor everything quite tight to ensure maximum ad revenue dollars.

I have no idea. I'm just saying it's a possibility...