• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Is North Conway overrated?

VTKilarney

I'm struggling to see why North Conway is such a popular destination for skiers.

Nearby mountains are:
1) Cranmore
2) Black
3) Attitash
4) Wildcat

Bretton Woods is a little farther out but is not too hard of a drive. The I-93 ski areas are not easy to get to.

I am a big fan of Wildcat, but I will be the first to admit that it's not everyone's cup of tea. It's been years since I have skied at Attitash, but from what I read here the trail network leaves a lot to be desired. Cranmore can be fun, but it's modest. Black mountain is even more modest.

As much as I hate the crowds on the I-93 corridor, I am struggling to see why so many people feels that it's worth driving to North Conway over I-93 and Vermont. Is the village life that much of a draw?

snoseek

Lot of second home owners because its such a good year round place to be. The other seasons offer a wide spectrum of activities. Cicks dig the village.

For pure skiing, yes, there is better.

Savemeasammy

The skiing around N. Conway is weak compared to VT, but that area is definitely a pretty good year-round destination. I think that helps. Skiing isn't the sole draw...

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm not sure I'd call N.Conway all that popular for downhill skiing. There are individual ski areas in VT that do nearly as much business if not more than those 4 mountains combined.

I'll echo what snoseek mentions in that it's four season appeal is really what draws people there. It's as good of a four season mountain location as can be found in New England.

Edd

Also consider that SR, Mt Abrams, Loon, and Cannon are within the 60 minute drive time. Not bad.

Edit: Shawnee Peak, too.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Edd

Also consider that SR, Mt Abrams, Loon, and Cannon are within the 60 minute drive time. Not bad.

....and this place called Tuckermans Ravine. But, yeah, North Conway isn't big on skiing. I don't know why there's all of those ski shops there.

Cannonball

Skiing, climbing (ice and rock), biking, hiking, plus about a billion other activities for every age, interest, and activity level. No, I wouldn't call it overrated. Heck, I drive there just to shop the basement at IME and have a beer at Moat.

KevinF

For NH ski country, North Conway has by far and away the most things to do that don't involve being on the mountain... When you're toting the family around, the "other things to do" consideration becomes one of prime importance.

mlkrgr

Well, I think with all the complementary activities, including a hotel with an indoor water park, shopping, etc. North Conway is quite an attraction for family skiers. For the avid skier? Only to visit Wildcat for the character of the trails and Tuckerman.

Very cheap hotels too in the winter. Haven't rented a hotel in a few years now in the winter in North Conway but I've gotten the N. Conway Grand for $59-69 a night midweek or $99-$119 weekends (through entertainment.com or you can get them or something similar on priceline or hotwire). Usually, it's otherwise $200 in the summer when N. Conway gets the bulk of their traffic and something comparable will easily cost more anywhere else.

Last edited:

SnowBro

Gotta say it's definitely better for other activities year round.

I usually stay at my buddy's place in Bridgton, ME when I head out of state. Haven't been up since December but when I'm there I usually spend some time in North Conway. Shawnee Peak is one of my favorite places to ride and NC isn't too far of a drive. I'll also admit I may be a bit biased. My family always used to spend days there towards end of the summers when I was younger. Have a lot of love for NC.

as a ski town, maybe so...but as a year round tourist destination, i would say it is properly rated...we spent a week there last summer with a 4 year old in tow...between the outdoor activities, the mini water park in our hotel, restaurants and shopping everybody had a great time...would recommend

VTKilarney

That makes sense. I was really thinking about winter and had not thought about summer. In summer, I prefer North Conway over the I-93 ski towns.

dlague

We day trip it to North Conway area when we go. We will ski the resorts there because of the RSNE tour dates. However, I cannot say I would ski any of then otherwise! We spend most of our skiing time in VT. I do think the area is over rated and getting worn! Too much traffic certain times of the year and no real straight shot to get there!

MadMadWorld

Overrated to whom? For a small family with kids just learning how to ski it's a great choice. If you are looking to just ski challenging terrain than somewhere like Stowe/Burlington/Warren area would be the better option.

yeggous

North Conway's busiest season is definitely summer and fall. If you're looking for a family destination this is it. There is just WAY more there than anywhere else in northern New England.

There are plenty of ski options within an hour drive: Cranmore, Attitash, Black, Wildcat, Bretton Woods, Shawnee, Loon, Cannon, Sunday River, King Pine.

The ski club scene in North Conway is much vibrant and better organized than anywhere else I have ever seen. Between the clubs and numerous hotels / motels there is plenty of affordable lodging. Lots and lots of restaurants and entertainment.

Now if you're looking for slope-side resort accommodations, high prices, and lots of sprawling intermediate cruisers weaving between condos then go to Vermont. That is not what New Hampshire is all about. Vermont and Maine have self-contained ski resorts. New Hampshire has ski areas within driving distance of a diverse year-round civilization.

The North Conway area is also a major attraction for snowmobiling, cross country skiing, back country skiing, hiking, and ice climbing. The ice climbing and rock climbing is world class. Jackson is a major cross country skiing destination with plenty of other areas in the region. There is nowhere else in the East that compares for backcountry skiing.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

CTNoob

There is decent night skiing right in North Conway at Cranmore. I haven't seen a better place to night ski, drive 1 mile then party afterwards than North Conway.

MadMadWorld

North Conway's busiest season is definitely summer and fall. If you're looking for a family destination this is it. There is just WAY more there than anywhere else in northern New England.

There are plenty of ski options within an hour drive: Cranmore, Attitash, Black, Wildcat, Bretton Woods, Shawnee, Loon, Cannon, Sunday River, King Pine.

The ski club scene in North Conway is much vibrant and better organized than anywhere else I have ever seen. Between the clubs and numerous hotels / motels there is plenty of affordable lodging. Lots and lots of restaurants and entertainment.

Now if you're looking for slope-side resort accommodations, high prices, and lots of sprawling intermediate cruisers weaving between condos then go to Vermont. That is not what New Hampshire is all about. Vermont and Maine have self-contained ski resorts. New Hampshire has ski areas within driving distance of a diverse year-round civilization.

The North Conway area is also a major attraction for snowmobiling, cross country skiing, back country skiing, hiking, and ice climbing. The ice climbing and rock climbing is world class. Jackson is a major cross country skiing destination with plenty of other areas in the region. There is nowhere else in the East that compares for backcountry skiing.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

People overlook Katahdin, Chic-Chocs and the High Peaks but all 3 are on part with Mount Washington. Mainly because of how accessible it is.

Brad J

North Conway has it all, good eastern skiing , geared for families, somewhat affordable, the white mountains offer so many other activities, and it has a feel of a small close knit community, and only 2 1/2 from Boston. no other place comes close