• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Its South Korea

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com

snowmonster

Yes, they have skiing there. They are a northern Asian country. Look at a map. Every Korean student I've had is a snowboarder.

The US has a longstanding rivalry with South Korea in Olympic ice skating. Apolo Ohno is not popular in Seoul because of an incident at the SLC Olympics. When the US played South Korea in the World Cup, the Koreans celebrated their goal by mimicking ice skater movements on the pitch.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Yes, they have skiing there. They are a northern Asian country. Look at a map. .

"Northern" is very relative in this case. At a little less than 38 degrees north. This area is as far north as Southern Colorado with 5000 foot mtns (granted a couple over 6000 but they don't ski on those).

Granted speed skating is huge in Korea but a short track (pretty much an ice hockey sized sheet of ice) can be built anywhere.

That doesn't answer the question about how they will stage an adequate men's downhill.

Nagano, Japan was a bit farther south but with 8000+ foot mountains.

lolkl

In the opening scenes of M.A.S.H. you can see ski trails in the backround.

Mapnut

Here's a "virtual" ski area travelogue I did on Korea a couple of years ago. http://www.snowjournal.com/page.php?cid=topic14667 Might give you some of the flavor of it. There are at least three new resorts that have opened since I wrote that. I agree that Yongpyong can't accommodate a downhill; they will probably develop a new mountain, of which there are plenty, like the Japanese did for 1972.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Interesting. I bet that SKI/SKIING will have articles about skiing in "Korea" as they call it there.

Puck it

Interesting. I bet that SKI/SKIING will have articles about skiing in "Korea" as they call it there.

They did have an article a couple years ago. Pretty funny. The article basically said that you take your life in your hands skiing there.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Honestly,

I'm surprised they got the bid with how crazy Kim Jong has been lately. I know they had the Summers recently, but it's still a pretty volatile region.

Puck it

[FONT=Arial,Italic]
Men's Courses​
[/FONT]
For Olympic Winter Games, FIS World Ski Championships, FIS World
Cups and FIS Continental Cups
- 800 m (in exceptional cases 750 m, for Continental Cups 650 m) -
1100 m.
For all other FIS races:​
- 500 m - 1100 m (Junior 700 m)

thetrailboss

Staff member
Honestly,

I'm surprised they got the bid with how crazy Kim Jong has been lately. I know they had the Summers recently, but it's still a pretty volatile region.

Wonder if he will make a [secret] appearance? At the very least he will watch it on his flatscreens...assuming he is still alive then....

UVSHTSTRM

The one thing about YongPyong Ski Resort (where alpine events will be held) is that it only gets 90 inches of snow a year. I am guessing they probably have plenty of cold and may have to depend on snowmaking. Although I guess if it is stable cold with little to no rain during it's winter months 90 inches of snow is plenty. Especially considering powder is the last thing they want. The harder the pack the better.

Mapnut

I found a web site which explains where the various venues are: http://www.pyeongchang2018.org/language/eng/sub01/sub01_02_01.asp The jumping, biathlon and cross-country are at "Alpensia" (Koreans do like to make up English words), which is next door to the Yongpyong resort, which is where the slalom and giant slalom will be. Yongpyong has 2,300 vertical feet but only one top-to-bottom run! Altitude 2500 to 4800 feet. Freestyle and snowboard events will be at Phoenix Resort (altitude 2100 to 3400 feet). Downhill and Super-G will be at Jungbong, which I assume hasn't been built yet. I can't find a town of that name on Google Earth; it seems to be about 20 miles southwest of Yongpyong. G.E. pictures of Yongpyong and Phoenix below.

http://www.snowjournal.com/page.php?cid=galimg30992
http://www.snowjournal.com/page.php?cid=galimg27470

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
As far as I can tell "Jungbong" is going to be built on this mountain:

(The named point is my own private one in Google Earth)
attachment.php

attachment.php

Looks to be on this mountain just outside (north) of Najeon.

The peak on the right in the second image is 4650' at teh summit with a base at 1400' in those farm fields for a max vert of 3250'. Having that river right there should provide plenty of water for snow making.