• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay is a Class Act.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
From their Facebook page:

Jay Peak Resort
One guy out there right now (9am) ripping it up, so we're going to give him another hour then shut it down for the season. Golf Course closed today too. Batten down the hatches. Thanks all.

Keep it going until the last person. Where a place like Killington has hundreds if not more that would still love to ski, and they don't care.

Last edited:

Cornhead

Hats off to Jay for giving this guy an hour. Too bad the weather didn't cooperate for their last weekend. Hope he's a member here, I was looking forward to a TP. I was curious to see how much snow they lost over the week. Guess they're the "King of Spring" by an hour.

Steve@jpr

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Expensive

Dis-are you talking about Jay Peak? It was $74 for the night and that included a lift ticket. Early season in THL is $119 pp/pn for a suite and a lift ticket. Maybe you're talking about someplace else and I missed it.

Cornhead

it's too far and too expensive to stay there....beautiful hotel:lol:
Looks like they had a good turn out before the rain, they did loose a lot of snow since last weekend. I wanted to stay at the Tram Haus last weekend, but I was solo, double occupancy required. I was amazed there is a 38% tax that brought the total to $109. It did include a $25 hill card and Mother's Day Brunch, however. I paid $60 for two nights at the Snowshoe Lodge in Montgomery. I'm not concerned with luxury accommodations when I travel to ski, but if it helps them to survive I guess I'm O.K. with it. Lift ticket pricing is sure to rise though. I preferred the vibe of the place pre-developement however.

bossmanonskis

Dis-are you talking about Jay Peak? It was $74 for the night and that included a lift ticket. Early season in THL is $119 pp/pn for a suite and a lift ticket. Maybe you're talking about someplace else and I missed it.

i was there last year after that spring dump....stayed in the new hotel....skied that saturday....got beat up good....

k123

From the Jay website:

May 15, 2011 @*10:31 AM.

Soooooo........we had planned to stop running the Triple at 10:00AM, but some of you hardcore Raised Jayers showed up ready and psyched to ski in the rain. So, we'll keep spinning the Triple until the last of you have had your fill.*

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Jay "gets it". They are loosing money for sure today. But they have the entire east coast skier/rider focus squarely on them and they are keeping a lift running for a half dozen guys that want to ski one last day in the rain. They'll make up any losses and then some, something other places don't get.

A dozen years ago, this would have been a non-event. No one would have known, no one would have cared. Now a days, everyone is watching and judging whether they are there or not.

tmcc71

Awesome, a mountain that "gets" us

I was there for an epic weekend last Friday through Sunday at the Tram house. Skiing was great, deals were incredible. It was my first time to Jay but you have won over a life long customer based on your commitment to obsessive skiers like us. You truly do "get" us. Congrats at being the new spring King. You thoroughly trounced The big K. Last Sunday was day 144 of the season for me. If i could have I would have drove the 4.5 hours each way to make it 145 or 146. I'll be back! Tim

Cornhead

I was there for an epic weekend last Friday through Sunday at the Tram house. Skiing was great, deals were incredible. It was my first time to Jay but you have won over a life long customer based on your commitment to obsessive skiers like us. You truly do "get" us. Congrats at being the new spring King. You thoroughly trounced The big K. Last Sunday was day 144 of the season for me. If i could have I would have drove the 4.5 hours each way to make it 145 or 146. I'll be back! Tim

I concur, and I thought I was obsessive. 144 days on the snow! Way to go Tim, I think I got about 80 in. Had a great time meeting and skiing with you and the other AlpinZone members I met last weekend at Jay. I'm almost relieved the weather sucked this weekend, else I too would have been tempted to travel 6 hours one way to hit it again.

I am contemplating a trip to Tux next weekend, maybe Sunday/Monday, I think it is supposed to stop raining by then. I wonder if it is worth the trip after the upcoming weather forecast? It is also supposed to be windy Sunday, and Monday. Should this be a consideration? Seems it could be brutal at elevation, even with warm temps. Maybe I'll hold off and see what Memorial Day Weekend's weather forecast has in store.

Bostonian

Jay "gets it". They are loosing money for sure today. But they have the entire east coast skier/rider focus squarely on them and they are keeping a lift running for a half dozen guys that want to ski one last day in the rain. They'll make up any losses and then some, something other places don't get.

A dozen years ago, this would have been a non-event. No one would have known, no one would have cared. Now a days, everyone is watching and judging whether they are there or not.

River,

The thing is they really aren't losing money on this venture. Think of it as investing in the future. This build tremendous good will for next year and beyond. Also, if I were Jay's management, I would have invited the local news media for their closing day too, since it would be free promotion for them too, just like Sunday River had at the beginning of the season. Lastly, for someone who is a little more then a casual skier, but certainly not as hard core as others here, Jay is a place that I never though of hitting up because it is damn far. However, because they made it a point to show their base that they care, I will definitely hit them up next season!

deadheadskier

Staff member
River,

The thing is they really aren't losing money on this venture. Think of it as investing in the future. This build tremendous good will for next year and beyond. Also, if I were Jay's management, I would have invited the local news media for their closing day too, since it would be free promotion for them too, just like Sunday River had at the beginning of the season. Lastly, for someone who is a little more then a casual skier, but certainly not as hard core as others here, Jay is a place that I never though of hitting up because it is damn far. However, because they made it a point to show their base that they care, I will definitely hit them up next season!

you definitely should. I see you hit Stowe this season. Jay really isn't all that much further.

Cornhead

you definitely should. I see you hit Stowe this season. Jay really isn't all that much further.
No, it isn't, I drove to Jay from Binghamton NY using directions from Mapquest that routed me up 87 almost to Canada then across into Vermont on 74. There was extensive flooding on this route, the traffic was backed up for miles in the westward direction. They were dumping rock along the edge of the road to keep Lake Champlain from swallowing it. In order to avoid any problems returning home, I attempted to drive home via Rt 108 South through Smuggler's Notch. Besides, I always wanted to drive through the Notch, it's always closed when I'm in Vermont. I have hiked into it before from the Stowe side, it's a pretty cool place. The road had not been open for the season yet. I was amazed how little time it took to reach the Notch from Jay. 43 miles, of course you wouldn't be able to drive through the Notch in Winter either.
Tack on almost that distance just to circumnavigate the mountain, 30 miles I believe. All depends where you're coming from. I've driven from Smuggs to Stowe and thought it was funny that I had to drive 30 miles to get almost to the same place I started. You can ski across the top of the mountain from Smuggs to Spruce Peak at Stowe, I've been told.

mlkrgr

I have to give props to Jay for the good show they put on.

When I went in March, I was having trouble getting into my ski boots. I couldn't figure it out so I ended up going to the repair shop. I felt helpless and was worried that I traveled all this distance for nothing to ski this mountain that everyone raves about. I had my ski ticket and everything and was rearing to go. In just a few minutes, the guy in the shop helped me and I was on the slopes. It was just that the tongues of the boots needed some adjustment that I was unaware of. It turned out my boots felt better than they ever have.

So yes, I used to shy away from Jay because of the distance (and I was having the ski bus do the work that day anyway) but I'll happily go there again and again, especially when the buses go there. The guy in the shop helped me in a time of need and did a good job of it. Thought I might need rental boots but it turned out to be a free adjustment. Stuff like this makes me a customer that wants to come back whenever possible.