• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak 1/29-1/30/14

dmw

Thanks to Liftopia and the generosity of friends and strangers, my friend and I just got back from 2 days at Jay for a total lift ticket cost of $45!

Day 1 - Groomers were pretty firm, eventually pretty scraped off even though there were few people there. Many woods open; some thin and scraped places, but still enjoyable. I'd say the highlights and best snow were on Lower Powerline, no one hitting it due to the sketchy rock entrance (didn't do upper), and Lower Bonnie Liftline. Stayed mostly Stateside other than one Tram ride (hit Valhalla, not great but fun) - Flyer was closed all day due to "scheduled maintenance". Also no lower mountain route between State and Tram due to snowmaking efforts. It was cold, but wind wasn't bad and the sun was bright most of the day. A little snow squall around 3pm just before heading out.

Day 2 - I can't imagine the day 1 snow dropped much as nothing new was reported on the Jay morning snow report, and I think they'd be talking about it if there was much of anything.... but somehow, the wind effect I suppose, everything was much better day 2. Even fewer people than day 1, Flyer running. Groomers were packed powderish rather than day 1's hardpack (mostly), and found pockets of fresh looking snow in the woods. Warmer and maybe a bit windier at times, pretty pleasant weather. I'd say highlights were Lower Powerline again, definitely Andre's Beaver, Expo Glade, and skiers right of Can Am to Liftline. Some variable but fun natural conditions on Poma Line, JFK and Kitzbuhel. JFK had a bit of everything - thin spots, nearly bare spots, ice / boilerplate, chalky powder bumps and even a short patch of untracked powder along the edge toward the end.

I demoed a Burton Barracuda board today too, which was great and added to the fun.

I'll hopefully get some photos added here tomorrow if I get a chance.

Tin

Nice to hear things are starting to open up there and you didn't get stuck on all. Lower Powerline was one of my favorite times as well because it was untouched snow do to the rocks. There was only one place you could hop in or ski through the trees to enter. The trees between Can Am and Liftline are some of my favorites but super tight. Would love to see pics of how Valhalla is looking.